The Force Awakens ALBUM Discussion (No Film Spoilers)

rebekahnoelleparker

Having just listened to the soundtrack for the first time, Rey's Theme more than makes up for the score's action music shortcomings - in fact, it blasts the rest of 2015's film music out of the water.

Also, is the Force theme rehash during the pivotal moment in the duel not on the album? Or did I miss it?

Since it's a direct lift, I hate how it worked quite well in the film.

Or is that the original version that's on the album?

Apparently, the OST features the original version of that cue in the track The Ways Of The Force.

Anyone else think the March of the Resistance theme is missing an extra statement at the start before it detours away into that rising emphatic phrase? It doesn't stick with you as a theme as a result, I find.

Has anyone mentioned the big misdirect they pulled with the 60minutes overtime segment. "This is how the new star wars movie begins", J.J saying it literally makes the opening of the movie, and then they used a completely different version. Well at least they have an extra opening or two up their sleeves should the unthinkable occur before Eps VIII and IX are scored.

I didn't notice anything different about that bit

Having started my deeper analysis, I'm just amazed at the level of motivic intricacy in this score.

Again, it really does revolve a lot around the interval of a minor third, as if that interval symbolizes the awakening of the Force: It permeates almost all the new themes and motifs, and is generally present as an undercurrent in all the secondary propulsive material.

The cue "The Abduction" is a good case in point, built mostly on Kylo Ren's tragic motif (at 00.13, whereas his main motif is heard at 00.47) and the climactic part of Rey's theme (at ca. 01.20), both centered around a minor 3rd. (Again, a case of "opposing" motifs being related)

Most of the harmonic underscore in this cue is also centered around that same interval.

And it just dawned on me that "The Starkiller" is all about minor 3rd relations... And then, of course, there's Snoke's music...

The Resistance theme as someone stated here came off as a villainous theme to me.

Perhaps because it is a villainous theme. Williams did call the Resistance a "radical group" in the Tavis Smiley interview. Perhaps Abrams told him something about Episode 8.

It would be great to hear an extended, fully developed Williams Fugue for Orchestra, or a prelude and fugue for piano. He did mention Bach prominently in the interview...

It's definitely harmonically related to the Force theme.

I too was a non-believer from the commercial bit. I just needed to hear it in musical context. Context is everything!

It's theme for the Jedi Steps of course! ;)

It's surely related to the Force theme and to my ears shares also something with Rey's theme. But we also get some shades of Vader's theme, and given how it accompanies the scene I realized it could be a new theme for Luke himself.

Recieve my copy today.

Deluxe edition, but it's not a deluxe OST/soundtrack.

Its OK but not more. I miss some recognizable tracks.

Best track, End credits for me. Hope BFG is better and we

see a better score on Episode 8/9

Sorry!

Andreas

Personally, I'd have been disappointed and bored had this score comprised of more "recognizable tracks". The original material has been recycled ENOUGH at this point.

Amen to that! This latest chapter is about introducing NEW heroes and NEW villains. It's nice to thematically ground it in the past, but it's time to move on. We already have (arguably) 6 fantastic Star Wars scores with PLENTY of themes, so it's good to have something new.

Kylo Ren's theme is quite obvious:

Main Title and the Attack on the Jakku Village
4:20 Kylo Ren's Theme
5:32 Kylo Ren's Theme
6:13 Kylo Ren's Theme
Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle
0:51 Kylo Ren's Theme
1:17 Kylo Ren's Theme
1:29 Kylo Ren's Theme
The Abduction
0:45 Kylo Ren's Theme
0:57 Kylo Ren's Theme

etc

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25879&p=1201923

Is Kyle Rey's Theme the 4-note calling card?

It's usually five notes; 5-#4-1-b3-5 (lower octave), whereas his "tragedy motif" is eight; b3 repeated five times-2-2-maj7.

Is Kyle Rey's Theme the 4-note calling card?

It's usually five notes; 5-#4-1-b3-5 (lower octave), whereas his "tragedy motif" is eight; b3 repeated five times-2-2-maj7.

Does the "tragedy" motif inform Starkiller and Torn Apart?

I often see the comment that this score has No hummable theme.

I wonder why I've started to hum a part of "The Jedi Steps" earlier today!

Williams did it again... once more.

We're doomed!

It's curious how a lot the nay-sayers around the net keeping calling this "old-fashioned" just because it's orchestral. At most is 20th century old-fashioned, which isn't that old, but I'd say it's quite modern -maybe not in terms of contemporary film music, but more in a concert hall style. I say this compared to the original Star Wars which is more inspired on the works of the 19th century composers and previous. But it seems that just because it's orchestral, it's deemed as old-school, and personally I don't hear that at all, in the best possible sense.

It's like when Joss Whedon said he hired Silvestri for Avengers because of his old-fashioned sensibilities. Um, what?

It's curious how a lot the nay-sayers around the net keeping calling this "old-fashioned" just because it's orchestral. At most is 20th century old-fashioned, which isn't that old, but I'd say it's quite modern -maybe not in terms of contemporary film music, but more in a concert hall style. I say this compared to the original Star Wars which is more inspired on the works of the 19th century composers and previous. But it seems that just because it's orchestral, it's deemed as old-school, and personally I don't hear that at all, in the best possible sense.

It's like when Joss Whedon said he hired Silvestri for Avengers because of his old-fashioned sensibilities. Um, what?

I think Star Wars has more in common with the earlier part of the 20th century than the 19th. Korngold, Strauss, Prokofiev, Holst, Elgar and Stravinsky are all over it.

After extended listening and seeing the film. Dare I say JW's best OST...ever?

In terms of sequencing, pacing, use of highlights, variety, it does seem to be one of his very best albums. I also just happen to love the score, too :)

Any speculation as to why Kylo Ren has two themes associated with him?

Williams recently referenced that in an interview. One of them is has a softer side to represent the turmoil in him. His "tragic" motif, as Marcus aptly puts it. The other is a more standard Vader-style villainous theme.

Having started my deeper analysis, I'm just amazed at the level of motivic intricacy in this score.

Again, it really does revolve a lot around the interval of a minor third, as if that interval symbolizes the awakening of the Force: It permeates almost all the new themes and motifs, and is generally present as an undercurrent in all the secondary propulsive material.

The cue "The Abduction" is a good case in point, built mostly on Kylo Ren's tragic motif (at 00.13, whereas his main motif is heard at 00.47) and the climactic part of Rey's theme (at ca. 01.20), both centered around a minor 3rd. (Again, a case of "opposing" motifs being related)

Most of the harmonic underscore in this cue is also centered around that same interval.

And it just dawned on me that "The Starkiller" is all about minor 3rd relations... And then, of course, there's Snoke's music...

Marcus I love reading your insights into this score. Are you planning to write a full analysis of some sort?

So, is Ren's 5 note motif Close Encounters inverted or what?

Nah.

The Close Encounters motif is built around a P5. Ren's theme is built around a minor triad.

That track has an awesome statement of the Force theme. And it scores the end of the climax and part of the finale.

Also, Scherzo for X-Wings starts out pretty rollicking, but the second half is noticeably slower than the first. If it's a concert arrangement, then the visuals aren't a constraint on the pacing—it's just dragging.

Its a film cue.

Hmm, saw the film again last night and don't remember hearing the second half of Scherzo for X-Wings (the slow stuff) anywhere. It's really a film cue? The ending sounds very concert-like to me.