The Force Awakens ALBUM Discussion (No Film Spoilers)

rebekahnoelleparker

First time poster (or first time in a long time?) here.

I've been listening to the soundtrack all day. I haven't seen the film yet. So far, I'm really loving Snoke's track. It's really, really good. The men's chorus sounds imposing and imagining that blaring over speakers in the movie will be so cool.

I agree the soundtrack is missing one highlight cue, but Rey's theme is actually used very well throughout the album even though the Rey's Theme track is a bit of an oddity.

Can't wait to see the film tomorrow and discuss more!

I was going to wait until Friday to listen to the OST, but I caved and listened to the first track. I'm loving what I hear so far. I'm hearing vintage and some modern Williams merged into one. I've listened to the first track twice now and it's already stuck in my head. I'm going to resist hearing the rest until Friday, but it's going to be hard.

The Snoke track is really really cool.

But this is a bit of a disarming score. It's not what I expected, at all. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing

I found that cue lame. I mean if you're going to go there, you'd think Williams would employ more than a meandering line with unison basso profundos. He's accomplished a lot cooler sounds with the same colours in ROTS.

Weirdly, I think the album would have been better if they left off the Han/Leia stuff. It kinda felt out of place. Also, some microedits to remove the Princess Leia's Theme at the end that sounded exactly like the ending of Revenge of the Sith.

Man, I seriously don't get all the "worst Star Wars score" talk. �

Especially since we haven't actually heard the full score.
Right!! We KNOW there's so much music we haven't heard. And honestly, as an album, it's got to be one of JW's best. It's a killer listening experience.

Many have said the OST represents the scores best highlights. And as an album it just can't compete with the highlights of any of the other SW scores.

"The Rathtars!" is perhaps my least favorite track on the album.

I think that's one of the best action cues on the album!

Star Wars has always been filled with big, brash, loud and hummable themes. Williams makes it his top priority to give us that. He prides himself on it. So Ep 7 should have had the same. And no one can say "well he's trying something different." Because the entire film was just a remake of the original trilogy, so no one was going in a new direction with this film. So why the lack of big memorable themes?

I know everyone's been raving about Rey's Theme, which is lovely, but I'm really digging Finn's theme (if it is indeed his theme)!

BadababadabaBadababadabaBadababadaba

tss tss

I was referring the heroic outburst at 1:18 of "I Can Fly Anything".

Yeah I had that listed as Rey's Theme but after listening to the End Credits again, its probably Finn or Poe's theme

Seems that way, although for me Rey's Theme fits that place perfectly.

Same, I could hum the whole thing verbatim after only listening to it twice. I fell in love with it almost instantly.

Maybe it's not used enough in the film? I dunno.

why the lack of big memorable themes?

Because the entire film was just a remake of the original trilogy, so no one was going in a new direction with this film.

Star Wars has always been filled with big, brash, loud and hummable themes. Williams makes it his top priority to give us that. He prides himself on it. So Ep 7 should have had the same. And no one can say "well he's trying something different." Because the entire film was just a remake of the original trilogy, so no one was going in a new direction with this film. So why the lack of big memorable themes?

Was the PT loaded with big, hummable themes? I feel like TPM was the last to have that across the entire score. AOTC is excellent but not the most memorable aside from Across the Stars and a few other cues. ROTS is the same. I still enjoy both scores.

Was the PT loaded with big, hummable themes? I feel like TPM was the last to have that across the entire score. AOTC is excellent but not the most memorable aside from Across the Stars and a few other cues. ROTS is the same. I still enjoy both scores.

I could hum the droid army theme in TPM ( which is still a fun favourite of mine), and Anakin's theme. The stuff from the flag parade as well I remember being so fun, duel of the fates too. With AOTC I remembered Across the Stars, and in ROTS I remembered Battle of the Heroes and even Grevious's theme. I'm not saying it absolutely on first viewing should have made me memorise 60 themes, but I'm just saying right now I can't remember a single music idea. I recall how nice some of Rey's stuff was, but I can't remember any sort of melody and I seriously have no idea if the first order and Ren even had any music to represent them.

Are people disqualifying this score because it doesn't have a "Duel of the Fates," "Across the Stars," etc??

The film definitely lacks one clear memorable theme but Rey's theme is used very well throughout and I think will be even better when I see it paired with the actual movie.

The action music is somewhat disappointing in that it's not very distinctive. Even the X-Wing piece is punchy and brassy like TinTIn but not very memorable. The only motif that seems to drive any of the action music is the Finn theme which is more rhythmic than melodic and the Rebel fanfare from the OT.

Overall though, I'm liking the score more as I listen to it. JW is using a classic motivic style of short identifying phrases. Even more so than any of the prequel soundtracks.

The Snoke track is really really cool.

But this is a bit of a disarming score. It's not what I expected, at all. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing

I found that cue lame. I mean if you're going to go there, you'd think Williams would employ more than a meandering line with unison basso profundos. He's accomplished a lot cooler sounds with the same colours in ROTS.

It sounds like he's exploring the timbres of different vowels, as dictated by whatever text he's using. Kinda like what he did with the throat singing in ROTS, except they're 'stepped' instead of slowly evolving.

But I agree, he could have done something more interesting, like giving them a harmony. Slowly divisi-ing out into clusters maybe, or some kind of texture based around the harmonic series.

For some reason, I really love that rhythmic motif that keeps popping up. "The Falcon" is one of my favorite tracks, especially the end.

By the way, 8:15 of the Finale, I've heard this before, but where? It's driving me crazy!

Edit: Nevermind, I remembered. Ron's motif from Harry Potter. 1:33 of "House Selection".

Yes, the action music is one of the weaker parts of this score, in that it's pretty anonymous stuff for Williams. And there's just so much if it in this score. At least the action in the prequels had character.

I could hum the droid army theme in TPM ( which is still a fun favourite of mine), and Anakin's theme. The stuff from the flag parade as well I remember being so fun, duel of the fates too. With AOTC I remembered Across the Stars, and in ROTS I remembered Battle of the Heroes and even Grevious's theme. I'm not saying it absolutely on first viewing should have made me memorise 60 themes, but I'm just saying right now I can't remember a single music idea. I recall how nice some of Rey's stuff was, but I can't remember any sort of melody and I seriously have no idea if the first order and Ren even had any music to represent them.

You finished Phantom Menace on the very first viewing without listening to the soundtrack at all and you were able to hum Anakin's Theme? Uh, are you sure?

Hopefully you feel different after giving the OST a whirl. I've only listened to "Rey's Theme" and "March of the Resistance" a few times so far, 3-4 each according to iTunes, and they're already way in my head.

For some reason, I really love that rhythmic motif that keeps popping up. "The Falcon" is one of my favorite tracks, especially the end.

Yup, best action piece of the score I think.

One problem is that I can't help but compare this to the last Star Wars score, ROTS. Of this its an unfair comparison as ROTS is the end of a trilogy has has those necessary culminating sounds and emotional cues. TFA is far lighter and funner than ROTS. But as others have already said, the action music in TFA is disappointing, especially compared to past Star Wars action cues that are more memorable and more varied. TFA action cues seem to be defined only by brassy clashes. But there's no melodic identity to the action music on the CD release of TFA.

Just finished my 5th or 6th listen for the day. This is a score that needs very closely listened to and played loudly, but, with that in mind, it is fucking awesome when it wants to be. I had goosebumps the entire first two minutes of Jedi Steps.

A few tracks that ive just sampled are terrific. the Action cues The Falcon and The Rathars both share an amazing new cacaphonic jagged motif.These Action cues are just dark and terrific and kinda like Williams 70'S vibe. To say the least there is a more primordial darker edge in the action cues plus the rather abrasive brass sound upfront sound recording by Shawn Murphy gives the music an extra oomph. I think the album is going to be terrific.

And If the films success goes beyond the expectations, maybe Disney will dish out an expanded set in the not so distant future, one can hope.

A few tracks that ive just sampled are terrific. the Action cues The Falcon and The Rathars both share an amazing new cacaphonic jagged motif.These Action cues are just dark and terrific and kinda like Williams 70'S vibe. To say the least there is a more primordial darker edge in the action cues plus the rather abrasive brass sound upfront sound recording by Shawn Murphy gives the music an extra oomph. I think the album is going to be terrific.

And If the films success goes beyond the expectations, maybe Disney will dish out an expanded set in the not so distant future, one can hope.

There is some terrific brass playing in this score from fanfares to the snarling material. Oh those brilliant resounding Kylo Ren motif renditions on horns!

I really wish JW will score the sequels. There is quite a bit to explore in the musical material that he set up in the Force Awakens.

It reminded me of ROTS string writing.

This entire scores string writing and recording has more in common with 77 SW than any of the prequels.

Don't get my hopes up, man! SW is my favourite score of the trilogy.

It seems like this score isn't being received well at all, but I'm digging it. What the fuck? I usually agree with popular logical sane opinion when it comes to Williams scores. This is like the Always of Star Wars scores. Maybe that's why I love it!

It seems like this score isn't being received well at all, but I'm digging it. What the fuck? I usually agree with popular logical sane opinion when it comes to Williams scores. This is like the Always of Star Wars scores. Maybe that's why I love it!

Admit it, you love the feeling of listening to an underdog!

To be honest, most of my favorite scores are beloved iconic truly great ones. There are only a few outside of that I rank as favorites, such as Always, Amazing Stories: The Mission and Minority Report, because they make me emotional and/or horny.