The Force Awakens ALBUM Discussion (No Film Spoilers)

rebekahnoelleparker

Rey's Theme has an odd placement on the soundtrack because in the movie Fellow Me leads directly into The Falcon with almost no gap. Those two tracks should have been combined on the soundtrack.

No. Palpatine's Teachings was a lot better.

Yeah, I really dug the amorphous blob of sound that was. /s

Get real pal, you can hear the vibrations in the vocal chords with Snoke! This feels religious. Palatines Teachings sounds more new age.

Also, Scherzo for X-Wings starts out pretty rollicking, but the second half is noticeably slower than the first. If it's a concert arrangement, then the visuals aren't a constraint on the pacing—it's just dragging.

Its a film cue.

Hmm, saw the film again last night and don't remember hearing the second half of Scherzo for X-Wings (the slow stuff) anywhere. It's really a film cue? The ending sounds very concert-like to me.

I'm pretty sure its a concert suite that sums up film score material.

Rey's Theme has an odd placement on the soundtrack because in the movie Fellow Me leads directly into The Falcon with almost no gap. Those two tracks should have been combined on the soundtrack.

"Follow Me" and "The Falcon" are two halves of one continuous sequence of music. It's a shame Williams chose not to combine them together for the OST - and not even that, but break them up with a concert arrangement in between!

:)

I read some comments of people who are a little disappointed by the score.

I think it's because they maybe expected a more "heroic" score.

But hey, the score goes with the movie!

I didn't saw the movie yet, but by listening the album, I guess it's not a movie where the good guys win. It seems to be a movie where the good guys, who doesn't seems to know what is going on, are tracked by a bunch of bad guys. I think Every one in this movie have to find who they really are.

But all the things seems not to be totally black or white, like in the other Star Wars movies. The story seems to be "more subtile" (as far as a Star Wars story can be subtile).

So that's my two cents.

A score with more substance and subtility for a movie that goes this way.

I like it very much, it's all about Rey-sistance. ;-)

:up:

Get real pal, you can hear the vibrations in the vocal chords with Snoke! This feels religious. Palatines Teachings sounds more new age.

So the fact that the basses in Snoke are singing with vibrato rather than a steady tone, and are sounding 4 pitches rather than one, the cue is automatically "better?" Yeah right. Give me the rubbed gongs of Palpatine's Teachings instead.

So the fact that the basses in Snoke are singing with vibrato rather than a steady tone, and are sounding 4 pitches rather than one, the cue is automatically "better?" Yeah right. Give me the rubbed gongs of Palpatine's Teachings instead.

Yep. But you're welcome to listen to your New Age Sith Yoga Music all you like, Sharkypoo.

Give me the raw, unrefined Snoke, any day!

Didn't see your post Blume.

At least with Palpatine's Teachings, you have colour and atmosphere to it. The rubbed gongs and varied throat singing does a lot more to send chills than the bland unison basso profondos for Snoke. They literally meander between 3 pitches, and this is supposed to be the "new Emperor"'s theme? Not to mention at least with RotS, it was a novel sound to add to the SW palette. And it definitely sounds a lot more "religious" and otherworldy than what we hear for Snoke. Here, its like Williams needed something "dark" and just put together a male chorus and had them yawn some chromatic pitches. It's uninspired at the least.

Didn't see your post Blume.

At least with Palpatine's Teachings, you have colour and atmosphere to it. The rubbed gongs and varied throat singing does a lot more to send chills than the bland unison basso profondos for Snoke. They literally meander between 3 pitches, and this is supposed to be the "new Emperor"'s theme? Not to mention at least with RotS, it was a novel sound to add to the SW palette. And it definitely sounds a lot more "religious" and otherworldy than what we hear for Snoke. Here, its like Williams needed something "dark" and just put together a male chorus and had them yawn some chromatic pitches. It's uninspired at the least.

Arent you just assuming things?

Palatine's Teachings represents the final step in the direction of the Sith Material John created for the Prequels. Snoke it the first step in a new process. Hopefully JW will be able to develop those ideas.

I like Palpatine's Teachings better too. It doesn't sound necesarily evil to me, just mysterious and old.

Snoke has this threaning thing with the string line later in the track.

It sounds like this Snoke scene is good for the score in that allows to make it a bit more colourful, but bad for the movie.

Maybe, but the idea we begin with here certainly isn't that promising. And Palpatine's Teachings is a superior rendering of that kind of material.

I like Palpatine's Teachings better too.

I guess we're Sith Yoga buddies now Chaac.

It could have just been an atmospheric choice, and not so much a foundation for thematic material. After all, the empire theme in Star Wars was weak too, compared to everything else. Then in ESB he came back with something completely different.

When Snoke is developed more Williams might go with something entirely new.

I can't say I was terribly excited by Snoke's theme, but after seeing the film I understand why Williams didn't write a new Emperor's theme. Palpatine was a very religious figure: a demon, anti-Christ, etc. Grand choruses of doom suited him well. We don't really know anything about Snoke, but I get a different vibe. He seems more animalistic, and perhaps someone with a bone to pick, not a secret conspirator all his life.

Maybe I will end up in the minority but I like Snoke's music better but definitely feel that Palpatine's Teachings sounds better in the film. For Snoke's music, it was barely audible which is because of the sound mix.

Snoke > Palpatine's Teachings.

You millennial younglings fall for every gimmick in the book. "Oh my gash, rubbed gongs!"

Snoke sounds like the chorus is lighting candles in preparation for a sacrifice. But I grant you, Palpatine's Teaching sounds more EPIC!

I have no idea. I haven't seen the film, yet. But Abrams has specifically said he isn't a Sith and neither is Kylo. There are no Siths in TFA. I guess he is a dark side user.

Abrams:

[He] is not a Sith. [Kylo Ren] works under Supreme Leader Snoke, who is a powerful figure on the Dark Side of the Force.

No idea if anyone has already said this because there's so many threads. Does anyone hear Luke and Leia in the beginning of 'The Girl with the Staff?' Probably just hearing something similar and connecting it in my own head, considering it's a favourite of mine from ROTJ. But if it is a nod, it could give us an idea of who she is; a Skywalker.

The flute passage from the ABC commercial that's also in the final track of the CD is one of my favorite things Williams has done in years. Its mesmerizing.

I agree. It is stunning, which makes at all the more bizarre that it isn't a fully fledged theme but rather a once off melody.

Having seen the movie and the significance of the scene that melody scores, I can understand why Williams put so much effort into it to make it extra special. One of my biggest anticipations for episode 8 is if that melody will return.