The Force Awakens ALBUM Discussion (No Film Spoilers)

rebekahnoelleparker

T-Rex Rescue and Finale is basically an entire action track build around the carnivore motif.

Yep

And it's freaking amazing from start to finish

T-Rex Rescue and Finale is basically an entire action track build around the carnivore motif.

Yep

And it's freaking amazing from start to finish

One of my fondest memories of being a score fan is from the late 90s when I'd only being listening to scores for a year or two. I had no portable music player back than but I had that cue in my head all day that I literally ran home from school to listen to it again.

I like Poe's heroic theme. :)

Karol

Me too, but I also gotta say that I love the stuff building up to it in "I Can Fly Anything" as well. Especially 0:54-1:06.

Just pure awesomeness. It stood out to me in the film too, really upped the ante.

This track is pure gold. I don't understand those who have expressed disappointment over the early action tracks being theme-less. This track is very thematically-driven and it is a very good theme. I can understand a bit more those who want more out of Finn's theme, but even that is a thematic motif and excellent.

I have yet to see the film, though. Perhaps that will hurt my appreciation for the pieces.

After listening to some of the score again, I have some new thoughts. It ranks right up there with Images and Rosewood as one of Williams's most unusual scores. With Rey's Theme and the Jedi Steps, he breaks entirely new ground.

IMAGES? I mean...seriously.

Not in thematic material, but in dissimilarity to Williams's other works.

This breaks new ground? Like, seriously?

Except for Rey's theme, it's derivative to no end.

The melody in the Jedi Steps is recognizably Williams (interplay of intervals), but in feeling and purpose entirely different from his other output.

Yet, when people heard the theme for the first time in the ABC spot, everyone here -except Marcus- claimed that Williams 'had lost it'..,,

Things like that is why I took a break from the MB. People coming to conclusions about the score based on 10 second snippets from promo video's is something I no longer have the patience for.

Now it seems like quite a few people's favorite moment, or one of them.

This track is pure gold. I don't understand those who have expressed disappointment over the early action tracks being theme-less. This track is very thematically-driven and it is a very good theme.

I get the feeling that a lot of people have a strong desire for one-off theme-centric action scenes like Williams was known for, where he would write a memorable theme for just that action cue. TIE Fighter attack from the first film, Asteroid Field, Mynock Cave, etc.

I don't have any issues with the action writing here. Still musically satisfying, complex and appropriate.

After listening to some of the score again, I have some new thoughts. It ranks right up there with Images and Rosewood as one of Williams's most unusual scores. With Rey's Theme and the Jedi Steps, he breaks entirely new ground.

IMAGES? I mean...seriously.

Not in thematic material, but in dissimilarity to Williams's other works.

Even in that sense, that's an absurd comparison.

And the End Credits are amazing, probably the best ones since ESB...

Most definitely. The 3rd score so far in the series to end quietly. AOTC is almost entirely just the love theme, TPM seemed too much of a copy/paste job, and I don't need to tell you about ROTS.

This one actually felt like a legitimate suite, though not as intricately woven as ESB. Not sure anything will ever beat that.

Can someone help me out, does all of Torn Apart play during the scene it accompanies during the film? In particular are the strings that open the track actually heard in the film? For some reason I can't remember right now.

It's an amazing track and there are some lovely shades of Superman in the first 70 seconds or so.

Also a little after 3 minutes in I love hearing the piano so prominently in a SW again.

"Torn Apart" is so riveting, with orchestral blowout "holy shit" moments the likes of which I haven't experienced in a long time.

I love the little moment from 1:14-1:25. I can't recall exactly what shot in the movie it scores, but from a purely musical viewpoint, I feel that it is trying to say everything will be OK but it knows it won't be.

"Torn Apart" is so riveting, with orchestral blowout "holy shit" moments the likes of which I haven't experienced in a long time.

I'm really loving 2:47-3:05.

Wouldn't Scherzo for X-Wings be another concert suite?

I think the "post crawl" music in the 60 minutes video is unused

It seems that way, there's a different version in the film/OST.

I won't deviate from Williams' intended OST order.

I would agree but I don't like that Follow Me and The Falcon are split with Rey's Theme in between. It breaks the flow of the action and those two cues play side by side in the movie. So the only change I'd make is to swap tracks 5 and 6.