The Force Awakens ALBUM Discussion (No Film Spoilers)

rebekahnoelleparker

Just got through my first listen on album a little while ago. My voice was shaking and I had to blink a lot more often than usual.

For perspective, I don't cry. Not sure why, it just doesn't happen. And on the rare occasion that I do get a little choked up, it's typically from a combination of visuals, music, and STRONG nostalgia. This is, I think, the first time in my life that music alone - and music I'd never heard till a week ago - has moved me to tears. And it's all because of Rey's theme. The rest of the album is good on a first listen, but Rey's theme is just perfect. Perfect.

I'm very much looking forward to getting to know this score better in the years to come. And I hope to God that Williams can and does return for the next two.

https://www.inverse.com/article/9553-why-you-can-t-hum-any-of-the-tunes-from-john-williams-star-wars-soundtrack-for-the-force-awakens

'There isn’t snappy music for the evil people here, either. “Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle” and “The Abduction” are just sneaky, sinister interpolations of ”The “Force Theme” melody'

Holy shit I think I hear it.

13 minutes ago, Demodex said:

Everyone has their opinion, but I'm not getting the love for Rey's theme.  Next to Leia's, it's one of my least favorites in the SW franchise.

Stylistically it's quite different from Leia's theme and as JW said himself, its not particularly feminine or romantic in nature on purpose. If we are talking only about the concern arrangements of both I agree that Leia's theme plays out in a far more satisfying manner than Rey's Theme on the CD release of TFA. The concert arrangement of Rey's theme is not so great, it is a bit segmented and doesn't have any space or satisfying development in itself. But Rey's theme really is the anchor for the entire TFA score and how it is used and developed throughout the score is more satisfying and interesting than how Leia's theme is used in ANH.

I could listen to all the areas he evolves Rey's theme throughout the album for the rest of my life and die happily. 

I haven't fell head over heels like this for a theme for many years. The obvious ones are Shore's Shire Theme, Newton Howard's Village, but the most recent is perhaps 10 years ago with Williams own 'The Terminal.' If I played 'Jazz Autographs' on repeat for all-time, I wouldn't consider it a wasted life.

On 25-12-2015 at 3:19 AM, The Psycho Pianist said:

As far as I know, Finn's theme is basically...

2015_12_25_02_16_37_untitled_2_Sibelius_

The time signature is definitely not 11/8, Psycho. Most likely 3/4 + 5/8, sometimes divided as 4/4 + 3/8 instead.

Tempo is 9 1/8 clix to be precise, I think. In The Falcon, at least. ;)

On 12/21/2015 at 2:41 AM, mrbellamy said:

Yes, absolutely. I noticed this too.

I think Williams may be creating a motivic parallel here between Anakin and Ben's complete turns to the dark side. And I believe that what we've been calling Kylo's "tragic motif' (12 seconds into The Abduction below for an example) is a variation of what we hear starting at 2:15 of "Anakin's Dark Deeds".

This is actually REALLY cool, has this already been pointed out elsewhere? This had to be intentional, right? Or am I crazy?

Don't forget 2:29-2:43 in this:

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

So are you saying Finn is Qui-Gon's grandson?

Well, I don't think there is a plot connection, but it is very clearly a deliberate reference from Williams.  The bit with Anakin's Dark Deeds is much more dubious.

18 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Stylistically it's quite different from Leia's theme and as JW said himself, its not particularly feminine or romantic in nature on purpose. If we are talking only about the concern arrangements of both I agree that Leia's theme plays out in a far more satisfying manner than Rey's Theme on the CD release of TFA. The concert arrangement of Rey's theme is not so great, it is a bit segmented and doesn't have any space or satisfying development in itself. But Rey's theme really is the anchor for the entire TFA score and how it is used and developed throughout the score is more satisfying and interesting than how Leia's theme is used in ANH.

Forgetting concert arrangements and use in the movies and just talking about the themes themselves, I'd say Rey's Theme is in my bottom 3 with Anakin's theme and Leia's theme.  They just don't do much for me.  I'd rather have a concert arrangement of Qui-Gon's theme or the Droid March then these.  Now I will admit I am not as familiar with Rey's theme and I have trouble picking it out on the soundtrack when it isn't accompanied by the flute intro part.

On 12/25/2015 at 10:32 AM, loert423 said:

I think "The Girl with the Staff" works really well in the film. The way the horns despairingly play those low notes is incredibly effective within the scene.

On 12/25/2015 at 11:03 AM, Taikomochi said:

I don't even remember what scene it goes to!

22 hours ago, Demodex said:

Me either.  Based on where it fits chronologically I assume it is when the Falcon is entering Han and Chewie's smuggling ship.

Can't quite place the first part of "Girl With the Staff" (maybe when Rey refuses to sell BB-8?) but around 50 seconds in with the lighter action piece, it's Rey chasing Finn down in the marketplace after BB-8 recognizes Poe's jacket (then "Follow Me" is obviously the rest of that scene moving into the action sequence). Then I believe loert423 is right that the rest of "Girl With the Staff" finishes with Kylo's hissy fit after they escape. So this one's all over the place.

The freighter taking the Falcon plus Han and Chewie's entrance is the first minute of "The Rathtars!"

i now have seen Star Wars: The Force Awakens 6 times. in my opinion i feel that the soundtrack did represent the movie very well. i find myself listening to the album almost everyday! Is it as good as the prequel or Original Trilogy music? No. But I do feel that the soundtrack did represent the film well. i know there is a lot of music that was left out and I do hope that gets released soon but it took me a few listens to get warmed up to the album but I throughly enjoy it now.

I am finding "The Rathtars!" more palatable and memorable when I take it as a deliberate sendup of Williams' Jaws writing, as would be appropriate for the titular aliens, which it is very reminiscent of in its shrieking woodwinds and harsh string rhythms.

10 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Can't quite place the first part of "Girl With the Staff" (maybe when Rey refuses to sell BB-8?) but around 50 seconds in with the lighter action piece, it's Rey chasing Finn down in the marketplace after BB-8 recognizes Poe's jacket (then "Follow Me" is obviously the rest of that scene moving into the action sequence). Then I believe loert423 is right that the rest of "Girl With the Staff" finishes with Kylo's hissy fit after they escape. So this one's all over the place.

The freighter taking the Falcon plus Han and Chewie's entrance is the first minute of "The Rathtars!"

Yeah just saw the film again and noticed the first part of Girl With the Staff is when Rey refuses to sell BB-8 (recognized the bit that sounds like Luke and Leia) and I think you're right about chasing down in the marketplace, but it's also used again later on in the film after the Falcon escapes Jakku and Rey and Finn talk. The end bit is when the First Order officer is telling Kylo Ren they escaped. Pretty sure anyway. 

Please tell me I'm not the only one obsessed with playing this soundtrack? It's incredible! Yeah there's 2 or 3 tracks I automatically skip but the majority of tracks have great highlights.

Welcome back Johnny!

It's because it's all about absorbing all this new Williams material, I love the energy of Finn's material, the endearing quality of Rey's theme and the power of Kylo Ren's theme. I just so happened to buy the deluxe edition to support the film and score I love It so much!

11 minutes ago, RPurton said:

I just so happened to buy the deluxe edition to support the film and score I love It so much!

The film has only made about $440 mil in one week. It needs all the help it can get!

2 hours ago, Drax said:

The film has only made about $440 mil in one week. It needs all the help it can get!

It's all over for John Williams, it's time for JJ to realize he'd make more money with Giacchino ;)

12 hours ago, Drax said:

It's people like you who have ruined Jurassic World's record!

12 hours ago, Drax said:

It's people like you who have ruined Jurassic World's record!

I throughly enjoyed Jurassic World. Very well done film! To me The Force Awakens was my favorite film of 2015. Such a massive step up from the prequels. I always tell people this but i grew up with the prequels when all the prequels came out I just didnt care about Star Wars in general then i saw Attack of the Clones and went to the midnight release of Revenge of the Sith and then thought they were amazing. About 5 years I ago i watched the prequels again and realized honestly how bad the prequels are. The acting was very stiff and the  dialogue was very badly written. One thing i will say some actors Ewan McGregor, Ian McDirmid were great at least I thought in there roles.

The music in the prequels to me for me was better then The Force Awakens. Still I loved the score for the film. A friend bought the soundtrack for me for Christmas and i love it. The embossed Slipcover case was a huge selling point for me! Love the look of the packaging very well done. Fingers crossed for an expanded release for The Force Awakens in 2016. It's probably very unlikely but I'm still hopeful. Lol

Has anybody else noticed a link between 1:28-1:58 of "Torn Apart" and 1:07-2:00 of "Palpatine's Seduction?"  Also, it's less obvious, but I can't help but notice connections between 0:12-0:33 of "The Abduction" and "It Can't Be" and some connection between 0:34-1:13 of "Torn Apart" and "Anakin's Theme."

8 hours ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

Has anybody else noticed a link between 1:28-1:58 of "Torn Apart" and 1:07-2:00 of "Palpatine's Seduction?"  Also, it's less obvious, but I can't help but notice connections between 0:12-0:33 of "The Abduction" and "It Can't Be" and some connection between 0:34-1:13 of "Torn Apart" and "Anakin's Theme."

I believe Williams definitely connected the key scenes of Ren with similar scenes of Anakin.

I've found some new hidden bits. Not sure if they've been pointed out yet, but here goes:

- In 'Torn Apart' at 3:29 you can very faintly hear The Imperial March on Brass in the background.

- In 'Scherzo For X-Wings' at 1:28 you can hear the opening six notes of Rey's Theme on Brass.

This may have been mentioned already, but anybody else notice how loudly the woodwinds are mixed in the end credits relative to the brass?  Since we have 6 alternate mixes from the previous films I'm glad we have this new version...but otherwise might bother me.