The Force Awakens ALBUM Discussion (No Film Spoilers)

rebekahnoelleparker

Okay, I realize it may not be the pinnacle of journalistic truth, but on Filmtracks, it says

The title sequence is the source of some discontent in Revenge of the Sith, for Williams elected not to re-record it specifically for this film. Instead, a reported combination of recordings from the previous two scores' sessions were mixed to make the title cue for Revenge of the Sith.

Is that simply untrue?  Not that I'd be shocked.

6 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

Okay, I realize it may not be the pinnacle of journalistic truth, but on Filmtracks, it says

Is that simply untrue?  Not that I'd be shocked.

Dude, what? That's about the opening crawl; we've been talking about the end credits this whole time.

Anyways, yes, the TPM opening crawl recording was reused in AOTC and ROTS.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Dude, what? That's about the opening crawl; we've been talking about the end credits this whole time.

Anyways, yes, the TPM opening crawl recording was reused in AOTC and ROTS.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  I misread, my bad.  I didn't know there was any tinkering with those credits.

Yeah, also from about 1:20 of 'Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle' is very reminiscent of the music in Empire leading up to and including Vader's reveal in Echo Base (about 12:00, track 5, 'Battle Of Hoth' on the Empire SE), similar to what happens on screen in TFA.

I might get hung, drawn and quartered for suggesting this, but am I alone in thinking March of the Resistance sounds an awful lot like it could have been written by Michael Giacchino for Medal of Honor?

1 hour ago, Gistech said:

I might get hung, drawn and quartered for suggesting this, but am I alone in thinking March of the Resistance sounds an awful lot like it could have been written by Michael Giacchino for Medal of Honor?

I think Giacchino's music sounds more conventional and wouldn't have the fugue/unusual structure of the Resistance March. Giacchino's music tends to be sparser in sound and with a more simple orchestration than what JW has done with TFA. 

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

It may be just me, but does anyone hear 'Jedi Steps' at the beginning of 'Follow Me'? The first 20 seconds sound eerily similar.

Hmmm...interesting.  First two notes share the same intervals (but the following two do not) but both have similar contours.  Sounds related.

5 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

It may be just me, but does anyone hear 'Jedi Steps' at the beginning of 'Follow Me'? The first 20 seconds sound eerily similar.

Right now, at 7 seconds of Follow Me I hear similarity to 0:58 of jedi steps (the dark part).

it also reminds me of other things.

Is the "Snoke fanfare" on the album or in the movie? Didn't someone mention that there was a fanfare for Snoke? Is that the Sanskrit Kipling poem translation thing in "Snoke" that is on the album or is that something else? 

I listened a bit to TFA on them Spotifiers and the much praised Rey's theme was a big disappointment. It belongs more to the Harry Potter universe than to Star Wars! However, Falcon Theme was Star Warsy and energetic.

Alex

11 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I listened a bit to TFA on them Spotifiers and the much praised Rey's theme was a big disappointment. It belongs more to the Harry Potter universe than to Star Wars! However, Falcon Theme was Star Warsy and energetic.

Alex

Falcon theme?

You mean the rebel blockade fanfare?

So you are actually discussing a new John Williams score now?

Thats amazing Alex!

1 minute ago, Drax said:

I love that woodwind statement at the end of The Falcon. It's very Star Warsy and even better with the sound of the ship's engine and the sight of it flying through space.

Its more Star Warsy to me then those departure and arrival fanfares from the prequels!

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Falcon theme?

You mean the rebel blockade fanfare?

Arguably It was used for the Falcon in ANH than its brief intro for the Blockade Runner.  Such as when the Falcon is tractor beamed into the Death Star and the TIE Fighter Attack. 

15 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Someone has done a movie edit of 'The Ways Of The Force'

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XBqSSIp7doM

Except that's not a movie edit because it doesn't have the bit of Scherzo in it lol

And yeah, that really does not sound good as a piece of music.

If I recall correctly, Williams calls it the Rebel Spaceship fanfare.  So I guess the Falcon qualifies as a Rebel Spaceship.

I never thought of Luke's theme as exclusively connected to Luke.  Even as a kid, it was just the Main Theme to me.  I'd like to get the quote of it when Finn is beginning his rescue of Poe.  "It's the right thing to do"

Whatever it's called, it cannot be underestimated in its power to make Star Wars feel like Star Wars.  Especially when it is played to it's full resolution as in Scherzo for X-Wings.  I wonder if the reluctance to use it more frequently is akin to Williams not wanting to rely on the Raiders March theme in Last Crusade.  I seem to remember him comparing the Raiders theme in TLC to hitting an all-too-easy "action" button, so it was used more sparingly than in TOD.

I love when Williams is given the opportunity to use one of his themes in a balls-to-the-wall front and center action setpiece.

"Chasm Crossfire" from ANH

"Helicopter Sequence" from Superman

"German Sub/Ride to Nazi Hideout" from Raiders

Also interesting to note that when we're talking Rebel Spaceships, the ANH X-Wing/TIE battle over the Death Star was scored primarily around the Force theme and not the Rebel Spaceship theme.  Now, the TFA X-Wing dogfight is a scherzo based on Luke's theme.  :blink:

1 hour ago, Hedji said:

Also interesting to note that when we're talking Rebel Spaceships, the ANH X-Wing/TIE battle over the Death Star was scored primarily around the Force theme and not the Rebel Spaceship theme.  Now, the TFA X-Wing dogfight is a scherzo based on Luke's theme.  :blink:

The thing is, Luke's theme is no more Luke's personal theme than the Force Theme is exclusively Ben's Theme. Like a lot of Williams's SW themes they've earned a broader association than what was originally intended. It might be more appropriate to just call it the Star Wars Theme or the Light Side Theme, or something.

Edit: Damn. Someone already said it.

9 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Someone has done a movie edit of 'The Ways Of The Force'

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XBqSSIp7doM

I prefer the original intention.  The use of this rendition sounds out to place to me.  Although, it seems to have made a positive impression on many viewers.

Modern moviegoers could care less about jarring tracking and music edits. After all, they're used to modern "film music" which is a cacophony of incoherent loud noises all blaring at 150% volume.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Modern moviegoers could care less about jarring tracking and music edits. After all, they're used to modern "film music" which is a cacophony of incoherent loud noises all blaring at 150% volume.

BRAAAAAHM!