The Force Awakens UNRELEASED MUSIC Discussion Thread

King Mark

That cue, the quote of the Imperial March and the short quote of the main title when Finn and Poe escape the First Order are probably the most glaring omissions from what I remember. Save for those three moments, I must say the OST is a very good album and a fair representation of the score.

EDIT: is the cue for the scene of Rey's "vision" on the OST? I seem to remember some cool stuff there.

Haven't seen the film yet, but some of the music from the 60 Minutes video(s) isn't on the OST, I've noticed (or have I missed it?).

1:00-1:15 (also discussed by Abrams and Williams at 1:33).

Yes - this is the bit I was referring to elsewhere.

Is there cool unreleased versions of pre-existing themes?

Example :Goodbye Old Friend in RotS (Force theme)

The moment when Finn and the X-Wings come to the rescue of the heroes on the ruins of Maz's Castle.

Oh, shit. That was THE moment that stood out for me in the film.

I knew it....

I'd say this time we're pretty lucky with how the OST has been assembled, really.

Of course now I want to hear all the early versions that were then replaced with rewritten cues :) I think Williams did quite a lot rewrites.

That cue, the quote of the Imperial March and the short quote of the main title when Finn and Poe escape the First Order are probably the most glaring omissions from what I remember. Save for those three moments, I must say the OST is a very good album and a fair representation of the score.

EDIT: is the cue for the scene of Rey's "vision" on the OST? I seem to remember some cool stuff there.

Poe and the X-Wings arriving at the battle is at the top of the pecking order of unreleased cues for me. The others are a little less desired.

Even with that, 3 short very good unreleased cues from a Star Wars OST is pretty good considering the prequel OSTs. I was concerned that there'd be really cool unreleased versions of Rey's theme but I don't think that is the case.

I'd say this time we're pretty lucky with how the OST has been assembled, really.

Of course now I want to hear all the early versions that were then replaced with rewritten cues :) I think Williams did quite a lot rewrites.

Yeah the OST seems very well put together with most of the highlights and major moments. And I think we get to hear the original versions of some pieces like Ways of the Force on the OST whereas there is a revised version in the film which uses a statement of the Force theme that sounds very close to the one in Burning Homestead in ANH.

According to my rough calculations:

1. The film itself contains about 101 minutes of score, of which about 64 minutes is on the OST and about 37 minutes is unreleased.

2. That means regarding the OST, about 64 minutes of it can be heard in the film and about 13 minutes cannot.

3. Which means in total, we've heard 114 out of the 175 minutes of recorded music, leaving 61 minutes unreleased & unused & unheard.

All of these numbers exclude the Abrams/Miranda source music, which totals about 2 minutes, 40 seconds in the film.

I didn't really notice anything important missing, just a few statements of OT themes (I Can Fly Anything has one edited out I believe)

I've seen the movie twice and Poe's arrival at the battle and the subsequent action is definitely my most desired unreleased cue. It is only a minute or so and it could have been added to the end of Kylo Ren Arrives At The Battle :(

The first part of the

finale duel between Rey and Kylo Ren

is also unreleased from what I can hear.

Having now seen the film, I cannot agree with anyone who says there are important highlights missing from the OST. He did a great job of getting all the most important stuff on the OST this time, IMO.

The two cues people talk most about not being there are the short Imperial March quote for Vader's helmet and Poe's arrival at Starkiller. That first one, it really isn't anything special. It's not some super cool new variant of the Imperial March like we got in the prequels. And that second one didn't stand out as anything that unique to me either, its similar to what is on the OST.

I didn't pick up on anything else really interesting that wasn't on CD.

good

Hopefully those 37 minutes aren't noteworthy enough to obsess over a complete release or videogame files (I doubt we'll ever see the unused stuff)

If I had seen the film first before hearing the CD, I would have left the theater thinking about the music for Rey scavenging in the beginning, Rey's abduction, Ren's theme, some of the escape from Jakku music, and a couple of Force Theme, Leia's Theme, Han&Leia's theme statements, and the final cue in the film. And all of that is on the CD.

Yeah, there's nothing really significant that's not on the OST. They all just sounded like minor variations of OST material (ex. there more statements of the Resistance march).

So it's a perfect Star Wars OST for both the OST fans and complete/chronological nuts because it contains all the most important stuff. Unfortunately, it's the Star Wars score that only I enjoy, so no one will be happy about that except me.

Yeah, there's nothing really significant that's not on the OST. They all just sounded like minor variations of OST material (ex. there more statements of the Resistance march).

Yea, instead of including a few cues that used the Resistance theme, he just put the concert arrangement on there.

Same with Sherzo for X-Wings full concert arrangement instead of shorter film cue.

Kinda reminds me of the ROTJ disc in the anthology set in that way.

I wonder if that section of the Takodana battle that was unscored was ever scored and might be part of that 30 minutes not used...

Part of the reason the OST isn't missing major highlights like all the prequel OSTs is that it's a shorter score than all those. Only 101 minuets of music needed for the final cut of the film.

EDIT: Oooh, spooky Ninja

I think there could be some really special gems hidden in the early recordings that were replaced by rescores.

There's one moment in the film that just straight-up re-does the Force Theme variation from Burning Homestead - it was really distracting. I'm sure that was a rescore and the original version is better.

There's one moment in the film that just straight-up re-does the Force Theme variation from Burning Homestead - it was really distracting. I'm sure that was a rescore and the original version is better.

I believe we have that on the OST.

That was the most glaring rehash, for sure. There isn't nearly as many as in KOCS and ROTS

and the TPM moment.

There's one moment in the film that just straight-up re-does the Force Theme variation from Burning Homestead

Depending if it has the brass bit right after the Force Theme from the original cue, then there is an appearance of Dies Irae in the score!

The only thing that really makes it stand out to me is that it contains the dies irae, which is too recognizable, and brings attention to itself. The fact that it was from Burning Homestead was secondary.