The Force Awakens UNRELEASED MUSIC Discussion Thread

King Mark

It seems like we got some superior versions on the OST compared to the film versions. The X-Wing scherzo seemed edited in the film and not as good as the OST version.

The real missing highlights that I can recall were the Falcon's crash landing and the arrival of the X-Wings at the Starkiller. That's about it, although I would still welcome the complete score because I thought it was all glorious.

That fucking cantina song, on the other hand, was just as bad as Jedi Rocks, if not worse.

There's one moment in the film that just straight-up re-does the Force Theme variation from Burning Homestead - it was really distracting. I'm sure that was a rescore and the original version is better.

Dude!

Yeah the OST seems very well put together with most of the highlights and major moments. And I think we get to hear the original versions of some pieces like Ways of the Force on the OST whereas there is a revised version in the film which uses a statement of the Force theme that sounds very close to the one in Burning Homestead in ANH.

There was a cool little flute bit over one of the wipe transitions that reminded me of TESB.

I do think that JJ's method of showing JW the film in 30minute blocks hampered Williams ability to structure a satisfying arc from beginning to finale, despite what he says in the Smiley interview.

Also, I don't recall any memorable solo writing. We had the violin solo in Leia's theme, the horn solo in Luke and Leia, the oboe in Across the stars, the violin/cello solo in Anakin's dream, even the soprano solo in the AOTC finale. The closest I can recall in TFA a nice little clarinet part when Finn mentions something to BB8 that makes him sad. I seem to remember a nice little horn moment somewhere as well.

There was a cool little flute bit over one of the wipe transitions that reminded me of TESB.

I do think that JJ's method of showing JW the film in 30minute blocks hampered Williams ability to structure a satisfying arc from beginning to finale, despite what he says in the Smiley interview.

Also, I don't recall any memorable solo writing. We had the violin solo in Leia's theme, the horn solo in Luke and Leia, the oboe in Across the stars, the violin/cello solo in Anakin's dream, even the soprano solo in the AOTC finale. The closest I can recall in TFA a nice little clarinet part when Finn mentions something to BB8 that makes him sad. I seem to remember a nice little horn moment somewhere as well.

Dude there's solo flute stuff all over Rey's music. And it's gorgeous!

Was that at the end of the escape from Jakku sequence? Loved that bit.

yea that flute particular part is fantastic. So little, but screams Star Wars.

Just saw the movie again and the X-Wings arriving at the battle at Maz's place and that long shot of Poe's X-Wing from Finn's perspective is without a doubt my most desired unreleased cue. Huge heroic brassy versions of both the march and Poe's theme. It is only a short cue so it might pop up somewhere.

I didn't pick up on anything else really interesting that wasn't on CD.

Personally I don't listen to complete scores because of the missing cues, but to enjoy the score as it was intended, and in the case of Williams, I always find that it works much better in complete form than on the OST.

Therefore, to me all unreleased cues are interesting in the context of the score, and the OST is always partially unsatisfying, regardless of how many highlights it includes.

Personally I don't listen to complete scores because of the missing cues, but to enjoy the score as it was intended, and in the case of Williams, I always find that it works much better in complete form than on the OST.

Therefore, to me all unreleased cues are interesting in the context of the score, and the OST is always partially unsatisfying, regardless of how many highlights it includes.

I feel the same way. I would never have enjoyed the OT scores as I do without the complete releases from the special edition. And even though TPM original CD release is very good, the "ultimate edition" is more satisfying to listen to (issues with editing aside). I really hope we get a complete score release for TFA at some point.

Ok, so I noticed unreleased music, but no WTF why isn't that on the soundtrack moments.

Pretty much all the unreleased music seemed to sound like what's on the OST

This is definitely not to the level of the Prequel unreleased music obsession

These moments stood out:

- Main Theme/Luke's Theme when Han is in the cockpit
- Falcon crash landing

- Rey climbing the wall at Starkiller

- X-Wings arrive/attack

Especially when it comes to Star Wars because of its very nature as a leitmotif driven score. Every little musical idea or reference sharpens the story and with it your enjoyment of the musical narrative.

When you have a score as thematically dense as Star Wars, the complete form is essential, even compared to other Williams scores.

To me, TFA is Williams' most consistent use of themes throughout the body of the score in a long time.

oh there is an unreleased horn version of the Han Solo and the Princess theme...nothing noteworthy though

I also noticed a cool transitional cue when the falcon arrives on the jungle planet

Ok, so I noticed unreleased music, but no WTF why isn't that on the soundtrack moments.

Pretty much all the unreleased music seemed to sound like what's on the OST

This is definitely not to the level of the Prequel unreleased music obsession

We need every note!

There's one moment in the film that just straight-up re-does the Force Theme variation from Burning Homestead - it was really distracting. I'm sure that was a rescore and the original version is better.

Going by the film edit, 0:12-0:33 of The Way of the Force is the original version that was replaced.

I personally think the orchestration they used of the theme there fits better emotionally TBH (hard to really describe), though the tracking and editing is horrid.

The OST version actually reminds me of the unused statement from the Carbon Chamber duel from Empire BTW.

Well, I was always a fan of the TPM OST because of not only Williams' fine music but also his enjoyable arrangements. Personally I think he delivered one of his finest albums of the 1990s in that one.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the recording of TFA, and the performances. I don't like Main Titles in this score but at least it wasn't just the same recording repeated in every film!

I love that all 3 original films have different interpretations of the same piece; it gives each score a unique feel.

I also noticed a cool transitional cue when the falcon arrives on the jungle planet

Yes that's the only cue I noticed that I think is not on the soundtrack.

I really hope we get a complete score release for TFA at some point.

Me too. I was expecting that the OST album would sell very well and within the next couple years an isolated score of all the music in the film (like the Ultimate Edition TPM) would be released. (I thought it would be just the music heard in the film because that probably costs less to produce.) But now with all these negative reactions to the soundtrack by many Star Wars fans, I'm not so sure...

JJ said in the Classic FM interview which aired this evening that there were a lot of cues written which ultimately weren't used in the end because the movie was at one point 'wall-to-wall' with music and so they removed parts accordingly.

JJ said in the Classic FM interview which aired this evening that there were a lot of cues written which ultimately weren't used in the end because the movie was at one point 'wall-to-wall' with music and so they removed parts accordingly.

I could see an expanded set coming really soon. I bet J.J would want the music to be released too.

I'm just assuming that's the source of the half hour of music Abrams said would be released, which I don't believe we've heard since the OST is basically close enough to the film versions aside from an alternate passage.

I think the link you're referring to was just a Harrison Ford quote, for which the interview I believe was from yesterday (https://audioboom.com/boos/3969952-harrison-ford-on-hearing-john-williams-s-music-for-the-first-time). The JJ one is from today, right? Maybe it's just not up yet.

Just saw the movie again and the X-Wings arriving at the battle at Maz's place and that long shot of Poe's X-Wing from Finn's perspective is without a doubt my most desired unreleased cue. Huge heroic brassy versions of both the march and Poe's theme. It is only a short cue so it might pop up somewhere.

Mine too! I love Poe´s heroic theme ("I can Fly Anything" 01,02-1,07)