What does everyone think of 'March of the Resistance'?

DarthDementous

On 1/3/2016 at 0:06 AM, Red said:

Traditionally in Star Wars the bad guys get the marches, be it the Trade Federation or the Empire. The good factions get the shorter motifs but here it is the other way around. It's a salient reflection of the the way the galactic powers are setup in the films. 

Hey, that's a  great point!

Did anyone check out the video link I posted above?

It completely changes how I feel about that scene, I think the pacing and energy are much more powerful and in theory works a lot better as it pulls things back a bit and gives it a little more weight instead of being too hyperactive.

I just love the fugue idea as a vehicle to musical depict multiple combatants.

I watched it and strongly prefer Williams' TPM music.  The Resistance March doesn't fit that scene at all

Really? Wow, fair enough man .....it's like night and day for me now, I find everything in the scene to function better especially with all the baroque-esque similarities between Qui-Gon's theme and the MOTR.

I honestly love it much more as it gives me so much of what the original scene never did.

Did you like the original scene in the movie anyway?

It's one I've always really hated it so maybe that's why different music has had a big impact on me.

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 4:07 AM, Stefancos said:

So is The Resistance March actually a march?

It's definitely marchable the whole way through. but a fugue in the middle is a little bit atypical for that. and on a few occasions those offbeat bass notes might cause somebody to stumble.

2 hours ago, Oboejdub said:

It's definitely marchable the whole way through. but a fugue in the middle is a little bit atypical for that. and on a few occasions those offbeat bass notes might cause somebody to stumble.

I think that was something that threw me off the first time or two I listened to it, thinking it would be more of a traditional march like Midway or 1941. All the offbeats and the fugue thrown into the middle of it. But then "marching" along to it i.e. simply keeping track of the downbeats got me into the piece.

25 minutes ago, Michael said:

I love how Willy went "Well, you know, fuck it, I'll throw a fucking fugue in here"

"We're gonna fuck this shit up like J Bach Baby" - John Williams

Love that upward harmonic shift in the horns from 0:16 - 0:19 in the concert arrangement.

8 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Personally, I think the Resistance should work every month, not just March.

That's why the New Order was able to gain so much leverage.  Those slackers!

On 12/18/2015 at 4:34 AM, Incanus said:

The theme reminds me of some of JW's music for NBC News (not the Mission theme) and his theme for the NBC Sunday Night Football but it is more fugal in progression.

I definitely agree with the connection to Sunday Night Football. While listening to the end credits, I found myself finishing the theme, and it took me a while to figure out what music was in my head. Not surprising, given that he's done this before (i.e. main theme from Nixon).

On 7/1/2016 at 2:18 AM, mrbellamy said:

Varied enough for hours of entertainment and music enjoying, and at the same time gives you just the necessary time to write down the little fugue by ear.

A fugue is where a melody is passed from one group of instruments to another.

6 minutes ago, Zaralyth said:

For me, March of the Resistance sounds very militarized, like from an old World War 2 propaganda video but with a science fiction element mixed in. It gives me chills, really.

It has a very strong WWII movie feel. It reminds me of the kind of scores Ron Goodwin used to do. Where Eagles Dare etc. Heroic but gritty marches for brave men, willing to risk their lives in service of the British Empire on a mission so risky, but so important that Winston Churchill demands to be kept up to date!

Essentially...music for killing Nazis!

image.jpeg

During the first few days I was listening to TFA, when I hummed March of the Resistance always turned into the Sunday Night Football theme in my head. Glad to hear that Williams composed that and I'm not all that crazy.

29 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It has a very strong WWII movie feel. It reminds me of the kind of scores Ron Goodwin used to do. Where Eagles Dare etc. Heroic but gritty marches for brave men, willing to risk their lives in service of the British Empire on a mission so risky, but so important that Winston Churchill demands to be kept up to date!

image.jpeg

Oh god, i'm about to watch this now:

Battle_of_Britain_(movie_poster).jpg

1 hour ago, dfenton85 said:

Can someone explain simply what a fugue is and how it differs from a march? What part of the track is the fugue?

A fugue is what happens when you take a small motive or melodic fragment, called a "subject," and weave a contrapuntal piece out of it.  Listen to any number of Bach's masterwork fugues to get a sense of what exactly it is.  A march is... a march.  It's a different musical form entirely, not quite as reliant on dense polyphony as compelling rhythm and catchy tunes.  Williams' piece here is more of a march than a fugue.  There are what you'd call "fugato" sections to it, that is, moments reminiscent of a fugue without launching into one proper.  The moments that BB points out are correct.  You hear what are essentialy fugal expositions, the first part of a fugue where a subject is stated and then restated at particular different intervals while the other voices carry on with countersubjects and the like.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

image.jpeg

Considering the original Imperial uniforms were pattented after Nazi Uniforms... sh*t just got real 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Totally agree...is this the most blatantly old-fashioned WWII writing yet for Star Wars? Kind of surprising given the influence is so appropriate! I guess certain OT action tracks would count but this really stands out to me.

Something about the orchestration sounds like the way the Rebels were scored in the OT but the reason I love this theme is because there's parts (particularly the fugue) where you do get that WWII propaganda feel in a way that there's something quite threatening and intimidating about it. Musically it's an interesting take on the 'good guys'.

The finale to this track is just disgusting. Those fanfares and that last mean as fuck final word from the booming horns make me rock back and forward in my chair like a dribbling awestruck idiot. It's just offensive really. 

It's one of those JW cues which makes me spontaneously chuckle to myself like a giddy fool. 

Movie music wasn't supposed to sound this good anymore. The Resistance March is definitely one of the most spectacular things he's ever done. 

8 hours ago, Zaralyth said:

For me, March of the Resistance sounds very militarized, like from an old World War 2 propaganda video but with a science fiction element mixed in. It gives me chills, really.

Agreed!

7 hours ago, publicist said:

Oh god, i'm about to watch this now:

Battle_of_Britain_(movie_poster).jpg

Great movie, I love it!

Speaking of which:

Does sound a bit like March of the Resistance.

10 hours ago, Flare said:

Does sound a bit like March of the Resistance.

Honestly, I don't listen to any resemblance at all, melodical, rythmical or orchestrational.

48 minutes ago, Scarpia said:

Honestly, I don't listen to any resemblance at all, melodical, rythmical or orchestrational.

No, but it is music in the same kind of idiom, designed to evoke the same kind of feeling.

But in that case, just any military march would sound like March of the Resistance. Williams accomplished an interesting piece, introducing elements like fugato parts, offbeat accentuation and a more subtle use of percussion. The march that was posted was an average one, not even in minor mode, so I don't see how is supposedly evoking the same kind of feeling.