Do you enjoy the Force Awakens score?

Gruesome Son of a Bitch

106 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy the Force Awakens score?

Are we talking about the actual sound mix and acoustics? I think TFA CD release sounds fantastic. Everything has a real clarity, which certainly has to do with the orchestrations as well. I put it along side TPM which also had a remarkably clear and full sound. I think ROTS and AOTC both had a muddier sounding mix where dense music sounded condensed and some overdub stuff stuck out a bit too much.

Aside from the first track where he combines the first two cues into one, with the second action cue on Jakku being almost immediately grafted onto the end of the opening in a bit of an awkward way, the rest of the tracks seem cue-isolated.

Great move!

I cannot get accustomed to this transition, it was done too early, before the crescendo of the first cue reaches its point.

Anyways, I personally think this is a superb score. It worked perfectly with the picture, and the OST listening experience is sublime. I never loose interest in the music, and the entire album flows effectiveky. It is clearly rooted in the Star Wars tradition, but with a new approach that I happily welcome.

In general I'm very happy with the sound of the score but the trombones' entrance in the main title fanfare are alarmingly quiet, nowhere near the power of the original versions so that's a little dissapointing but I'm sure this has already been previously mentioned.

Unforunately I'm dissapointed with the score. Not terrible, but nothing in particular stands out. Worst of all 7 Star Wars score and worse than Indy 4 too.

The only parts that seemed off to me:

- The brass at the very beginning of the Main Title, but it was a brief annoyance and I've grown to kind of like it for some reason

- "The Rathtars" shouldn't have made the cut--it's actually a bit grating, but I'm not sure I can fault Williams after seeing this awful sequence

- The transition into the End Credits sounds weird (like in Episode III) and I still don't know how to feel about the Home Alone version of Luke's Theme

Luke's theme at the very end of the End Credits reminds me of Vader's theme at the end of the TPM end credits. A tantalizing promise of what's to come.

It was really good to hear Luke's theme so much in this score. It really IS Star Wars. Like gravy on mashed potatoes.

I'm enjoying it a lot and it's growing with every listen. As always in JW, the beauty is often in the details and there are lot of those here. Sonically, it seems to me that he's continuing the discourse where he left it in 2005. I hear shades of Revenge of the Sith in more than one place. As it happened with the prequels, the music is not much about revisiting old ideas or style (save for quotes of classic themes when they're needed), but more a new tile added to this massive and amazing musical mosaic. Williams is doing what every true artist does and he always keeps an enormous integrity. I dare to say it's almost an ethical approach, before aesthetical. He's being true to himself and to his muse, no matter the commercial circumstances he has to comply. Right now I can't put it on a list, even just within the Star Wars canon, as I need to listen and study it more. But I'm loving it a lot.

I agree with this. The dramatic music (like the CD tracks "The Starkiller" and "Torn Apart") works greatly in the film and is comparable to pieces with a similar mood in ROTS, which is a very good score in my opinion (especially for the most dramatic and elegiac parts, not to mention the fantastic final reel except for the very final transition to the end credits). The Finale works very well, considering that it will surely not be the culminating scene of the new trilogy. Actually, it creates a kind of tension towards the next movie, like "this is just the beginning, stay tuned". I like Rey's theme and I think it is appropriate for the character. "March of the Resistance" and "Scherzo for X Wings" are very good action pieces (the latter could perhaps benefit from a slightly faster tempo).

I don't complain about anything. I am experiencing something similar to ROTS, for which I was initially a bit disappointed, but then after getting familiar with the various pieces I got to appreciate the details and to love it. I really hope that Williams will score the next movie.

What about the overlays in the main title it's just a bunch of cues strung together? Where as with past films it was one piece.

I also hear more similarities with Indiana Jones particularly the high trumpets (think Jungle chase from KOTCS).. I guess he was trying to cut through sound effects.

One thing is clear though, all the new scores have far more notes in them than the original trilogy, maybe that's where the problem lies.

Are we talking about the actual sound mix and acoustics? I think TFA CD release sounds fantastic. Everything has a real clarity...

The clarity is amazing. Even more evident when I put it on in my car. The bassier moments never got muddy.

Aside from the first track where he combines the first two cues into one, with the second action cue on Jakku being almost immediately grafted onto the end of the opening in a bit of an awkward way, the rest of the tracks seem cue-isolated.

Great move!

I cannot get accustomed to this transition, it was done too early, before the crescendo of the first cue reaches its point.

Sounds a bit out of rhythm, like it should come in a half beat later.

- The transition into the End Credits sounds weird (like in Episode III)

Seems a bit mis-timed, like it needs another phrase, or one less.

Seriously?

It's a far more energetic score then Williams' last two ventures into a beloved franchise (ROTS and KOCS).

It isnt as immediately gripping on album as much of his Golden Age stuff is, but that been the case since the mid-90's, with a few rare exceptions.

The exceptional complexity of his music often don't shine through at first and it takes patience and time to slowly unfold these aspects. There is less to latch on to at a first listen.

Modern John Williams music is NOT for the casual, easy listening soundtrack enthusiast!

Oh bollocks!

If Williams' Star Wars ever was one thing, then the easily accessible film music for the casual listener. Some of you are simply denying to see what everyone not so attached to the man or the franchise can hear, that Williams isn't able anymore at his age to reach the appeal he still had even 10 years ago.

To say TFA isn't as immediately gripping as his golden age stuff is an understatement, just like saying he's as gripping now as the was since the 90s is severely exaggerated. His 90s output is far superior to this score, far and away. Just like most of his 2000 work reached a level of form, intrigue and musical joy, of which only a fraction can be found in TFA. The Potter series, War Horse, Geisha, Tintin, RotS, all of them have infinitely more to say than Episode VII. TFA is a score by a composer who doesn't "get" it anymore. The joy and wonderment is gone. I don't feel that this score comes from Williams' heart.

Star Wars drives JWFan to extremes. Either you must love it unquestionably, or you must hate it and by default hate Williams in general....why can there be no moderation!?

My opinion of this score continues to improve the more I listen to it. From the action music to the strings on The Starkiller and Torn Apart, it just makes a lot more sense had has more resonance after seeing the film and really delving into the soundtrack.

I agree, but the reaction here is to be expected, it is jwfan.com, if you go to a Paul McCartney forum even his shit albums are called masterpieces. I really don't get it, even KOTCS had a couple of tracks that stuck in my head for a while, TFA has none, maybe the Scherzo but that's just good old Luke's theme. Very underwhelming score for a Star Wars movie.

Well, I've known for a while that there must be something wrong with you these days. You were so obsessed with getting all that bland cookie cutter music from KOTCS!

I dunno, I keep playing it and nothing sticks except a few moments

finn's motif just doesn't work for me and it's the basis of most action cues. I still can't differentiate most of the action cues after 6 -7 listens to the album

the old themes aren't played in great new ways. The rebel fanfare is just the rebel fanfare, Leia's theme and Han and Leia have inferior renditions than previous scores, there's only one new Force theme rendition I like in Farewell and the Trip, Luke's theme is always understated, incomplete and dissonant

Importantly, I'm not craving the unreleased music, which is pretty much a first time event

finn's motif just doesn't work for me and it's the basis of most action cues

There's something wrong with you!

finn's motif just doesn't work for me and it's the basis of most action cues

There's something wrong with you!

hey a week ago you swore not to even see the film