Michael Giacchino - STAR TREK BEYOND (2016)

Jay

Why don't these things get released by a 'regular' label which can afford to do it properly?

Because as long as Varese releases new scores, they are severely limited by reuse fees, a problem that the major labels clearly don't have.

Ignore that. I read it as "compete".

Hmm, has Varese just got a thing with Paramount regarding Michael Giacchino scores? Prepare for a weak presentation again as STID had.

Part of me would like to see a new composer's take on this new Trek. Nothing against Giacchino, just a bit of variety. The original films boasted great music between Goldsmith, Horner, Rosenman and Eidelman.

• 3 months later...
On 3/30/2016 at 9:55 PM, Cerebral Cortex said:

And also, yeah, you can pre-order it now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019G8GZOG/?tag=trekcore-20

See the first post of this thread ;)

(I started this thread because I found the pre-order on Amazon on that day)

13 minutes ago, Trent B said:

I just hope whenever we get a 2-CD set from Varèse they don't find a way to fuck it up like what they did for STID...

Their STID deluxe was better than their Star Trek '09 deluxe.

• 1 month later...

Giacchino is many things, mediocre isn't one of them. His scores are surprisingly competent in a time when RCP lackeys could easily snap up these projects which we could've ended up with "Zimmer '10 'Diluted with 60% Jablonsky".

15 hours ago, EdwardHall said:

I feel like Giacchino should be composing the music for Star Wars Rogue One, not Desplat. Giacchino has paid his dues and is worthy of the job. 

There'll be plenty of stand-alone SW films.

5 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Really like his Trek scores so definitely looking forward to more. Hope to hear even more exploration and variations of the Main theme and Spock's theme.

I especially love the Into Darkness score (not the movie, just the score).

40 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I'm looking forward to this (and to the film too actually) but NOT looking forward to the OST album.

Karol

Me neither. I'm looking forward to the deluxe edition Varese will inevitably put out in 2018 that was the version I wanted all along :)

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Me neither. I'm looking forward to the deluxe edition Varese will inevitably put out in 2018 that was the version I wanted all along :)

I didn't even buy the OST for Into Darkness and I'm glad I didn't. It was almost a COMPLETELY different album than I would have assembled.

I was lucky and just waited for the Deluxe. I don't think I'll ever go back to the OST.

The only problem with the Deluxe were the two missing tracks.

No there are 2 missing cues.  The one where Spock talks to Spock, and the middle of the End Credits.

Is the first missing cue a brief cue or a full length track? Just wondering if it might've been cut for the good old listening experience.

I'm not really interested in the new film or score. STID did little for me except for a couple of tracks.

Plus this franchise has the worst sequel film names. What's wrong with Star Trek 2/3?

43 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Is the first missing cue a brief cue or a full length track?

The entire cue is missing.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

The entire cue is missing.

Yup the cue "Spock To Spock" was completely left out for some unknown stupid reason and as Jay said the second part for "End Credits" isn't present as the "End Credits" on the D.E. is the film version which had tracked material for the second part and not what was originally written.

The D.E. for STID could have made up for the failure for the D.E. of 2009 and really had held out hope...but was really disappointed they just dropped a vital cue like that... Don't get me wrong the D.E. for STID is still loads better than the D.E. for 2009 but as I said it still in a way failed to be perfect.

Calling "Spock to Spock" vital is stretching it IMO. It pisses me off that they got that close and didn't just make it a complete release though. Mostly I wanted to hear the alternate prologue music.

On 5/5/2016 at 5:27 PM, EdwardHall said:

I feel like Giacchino should be composing the music for Star Wars Rogue One, not Desplat. Giacchino has paid his dues and is worthy of the job. 

Absolutely. The man's music is far better than "mediocre." Giacchino should get any Star Wars film Williams isn't doing.