Michael Giacchino - STAR TREK BEYOND (2016)

Jay

The end credits... what were the sound editors thinking? To Boldly Go mixed in with a section of Star Trek Main Theme, ended out with the ending of Par-Tay For The Course?

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

You can say that again!

Why wasnt the Rhianna song on the CD?

The song JJ Abrams wrote for Into Darkness wasn't on that album or the DE either, I believe it was a digital download only.

One of the problems I have with John Carter is that it was recorded so poorly (one of the last scores Wallin ruined before he finally retired) it makes it hard to actually hear what all the instruments are doing.

I'd love someone to do a full re recording of both ST09 and JC, with all the choir and alternates and put that on CD

Usually I never notice or care about good recordings or bad recordings, but with John Carter it's really noticeable. Seems like that one was recorded poorly then mastered poorly too.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

One of the problems I have with John Carter is that it was recorded so poorly (one of the last scores Wallin ruined before he finally retired) it makes it hard to actually hear what all the instruments are doing.

I'd love someone to do a full re recording of both ST09 and JC, with all the choir and alternates and put that on CD

couldnt they not afford the choir royalties the last time?

Supposedly, who really knows. Which is why a rerecording could be a great way to reissue that score.

19 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I do not. There was an emotional core to Into Darkness that I find more compelling. I love the Five Year Mission theme of course but I found the array of themes in STID more satisfying personally. 

I do think Beyond is a very good score. 

Couldn't agree more.

16 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I prefer Into Darkness just for the Kronos Wartet!

You can say THAT again!

On 7/31/2016 at 1:46 AM, KK said:

I can't stand that cue!

What's wrong with it? Although I have to say that I almost prefer the "Harrison Attacks" version of it.

On 7/31/2016 at 8:28 PM, Shatner's Rug said:

I actually liked the Rhiannon song at the end.

As a song it's fine. I don't think it fit even these movies though. At least it was in the credits and not forced into the film somewhere.

On 30/07/2016 at 5:03 PM, Jay said:

Trek 09 is really noticeable as well, particularly with the percussion. For instance, the snare drums actually sound like snare drums in the first couple of tracks, but sound completely different, like they're playing with chopsticks instead of playing a snare drum by the time it reaches the last track. It's a score I would not mind hearing re-recorded. Into Darkness sounded so much cleaner than 2009, and while I do like Beyond's music, I think Into Darkness had the superior mix.

On July 29, 2016 at 3:52 AM, TheWhiteRider said:

Whatever one's subjective experience of the music, objectively it's compositionally quite ahead of most anything else he's done.  That alone makes me appreciate it.

Like a well made modern skyscraper. An ugly scar in the landscape, but a feat of engineering.

Seems like the OST has been completely unavailable in the UK since it was supposed to come out - I had it pre-ordered and the pre-order was never fulfilled, and Amazon UK has said that the CD has been 'unavailable' since. I wonder why that is... we're well over two weeks from it coming out and the problem hasn't been resolved yet, so I might have to hop on Amazon's US site and order it through there.

I pre-ordered the CD from them a week before the film's release. It was also supposed to be the CD release. But it got delayed for some reason. Anyway, I got my CD off Amazon UK 2 weeks late.

Colosseum used to be the distributor of Varese's releases in Europe. But I just had a look at their website and I can't seem to find a lot of titles. My CD was a direct import from the US.

Karol

Seems like the opening of 'Crash Decisions' is almost the same opening as 'Goofball No Longer' from Inside Out.

here @0:00-0:05

here in Inside Out:

It doesn't bother me too much, I think he just likes using those types of openings. I think there's a similar one from Up somewhere...

Also! The ending notes/chords of the 'Five year mission' theme are almost the same as the theme from 'The Titus Clipper' from Jupiter Ascending.

Here from the opening notes in JA:

Here in Beyond:

Can't blame Giacchino too much. There's a lot of his mannerisms and and old tricks from recent scores in Beyond.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, crocodile said:

Tracks 2-4 and then the penultimate one. Think that's it.

Karol

Yup. I wonder if he wrote a suite piece for it, though. Seems like the sort of theme he would write one for. That's if he actually wrote any suites this time around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Indeed. The Yorktown is the most memorable visual of the movie, it should have been used more in the promotional imagery.

With the abundance of CGI these days, it's kinda rare to see a visual in a film now that really makes me say "wow," but the whole introductory sequence to Yorktown definitely did that for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the theme was artificially slowed-down when it returns to the main Star Trek theme at 2:21. So I did a test and sped up that entire section to match the original's tempo.

I quite like the timpani mix in the Beyond version of the theme, but the Into Darkness version is definitely the superior recording and mix overall.

• 2 weeks later...

Titles have started to appear on ASCAP:

Logo And Prosper (Star Trek Beyond Main Title Theme)

The Final Frontier Part A (Star Trek Beyond End Title Theme)

The Final Frontier Part B (Star Trek Beyond End Title Theme)
End Krall (Star Trek Beyond End Title Theme)

ATM the entry for "STAR TREK BEYOND" just comes up with the single alternative title of "STAR TREK BEYOND SCORE"

• 2 weeks later...

ASCAP has updated their database. Here are the cue titles listed at current:

12 ANGRY KIRKS
A HIVE AND KICKING PT 1
A HIVE AND KICKING PT 2
A LESSON IN VULCAN MINERALOGY
A SWARM RECEPTION
BRIGHT LIGHTS, BIG VELOCITY PT 2
CAPTAIN ON ICE
EAT MY THRUSTERS
FRANKLIN, MY DEAR PT 1
FRANKLIN, MY DEAR PT 2