Michael Giacchino - STAR TREK BEYOND (2016)

Jay

Yeah, but with these album producers nowadays they would just trim everything else and leave only the action tracks or something

Which would be no disservice to the score, as it's a weak link. There's an awful lot of menace-y suspense techniques in the louder action cues, mainly in the brass, that sound a bit old-fashioned and do not help the musical drama (it's just functional film-specific glue). You could easily trim those and the last third of the album and it would play much better.

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Which would be no disservice to the score, as it's a weak link. There's an awful lot of menace-y suspense techniques in the louder action cues, mainly in the brass, that sound a bit old-fashioned and do not help the musical drama (it's just functional film-specific glue). You could easily trim those and the last third of the album and it would play much better.

personally I prefer my music on OSTs to be the same length as they were in the movie

or if you're gonna make a suite filled CD, there should be a full release later down the line

I'd argue this is Giacchinos best score in picture. Album is a bit boring though. Little narrative arc. And what works against picture doesn't stand on its own. 

Re: narrative arc: Case in point, Giacchino blows his load in track 3 and its downhill from there. 

25 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

I'd argue this is Giacchinos best score in picture.

I would say the first film still has that honor. There was several standout moments for the score. The opening Title reveal (Star Trek), Kirk's birth and  Hemsworth's death (Labor of Love) and finally the reveal of the USS Enterprise (Enterprising Young Men). The last was specially a jaw dropping reveal on the big screen. The impact was tremendous.

I think that is the moment when the main theme became lodged in movie-goers mind.

44 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

His main theme is still the most weakest part of his Trek scores. It's simply insufficient 

I wouldn't say that it's the weakest thing about them but it's very overused. especially in this score.  I really wish Giacchino would have ditched the endless renditions of it in favor of developing the superior "Yorktown" theme.  

57 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes, every supposedly heroic moment or resolution has a rendition of this theme. Goldsmith was wise enough to scale back the use of his (utterly brilliant) Star Trek theme and rely on other material instead.

This I agree. EVERY moment of triumph or success or a close escape or a moment of heroism is scored  with the main theme . EVERY.

To the extent that it plays like a mono thematic score even though it is not. I do like the theme actually, it is good but definitely over-used.

Yorktown theme could not be used a lot because that is the setting of the story only briefly in the beginning and then for the finale.

12 hours ago, publicist said:

Uh... you would prefer an album with only  the action cues?

5 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

This I agree. EVERY moment of triumph or success or a close escape or a moment of heroism is scored  with the main theme . EVERY.

To the extent that it plays like a mono thematic score even though it is not. I do like the theme actually, it is good but definitely over-used.

It kinda worn out its welcome already after 1 film, but Gia keeps relying on it for his big moments.

Illogical!

It's one of the most recognisable themes in this era. But does it mean it's good? I always felt it was perfect for Kirk's story in 2009 film. But the lack of variation really annoys me. The new score partially changes that, thankfully.

Karol

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It's one of the most recognisable themes in this era. But does it mean it's good? I always felt it was perfect for Kirk's story in 2009 film. But the lack of variation really annoys me. The new score partially changes that, thankfully.

Karol

Vice versa, little variation doesn't make it an average theme.

The second half of Dance of the Nebula is very nice. I wished Giacchino did more longer winded ideas like that as underscore.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

It's one of the most recognisable themes in this era. But does it mean it's good? 

Karol

Non sensical question. People love it. People recognize it. People still perform it. Those are the primary components of a theme. 

I don't mind the score but to me at least album wise it's a step down from Star Trek Into Darkness.  The music as heard in the FILM though is a different beast and definitely on the same level as STID.  Here's hoping for a complete leak of the score like with STID before a Deluxe Edition is released....seemed like there was quite a bit of unreleased material that seemed nice in the film.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

I think even Pirates Of The Caribbean theme is probably widely recognizable. Does that mean it is good?

5 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I think even Pirates Of The Caribbean theme is probably widely recognizable. Does that mean it is good?

The Pirates theme is 100% definitely more widely recognized than Giacchino's Trek theme.  That Pirates theme is catchy as hell.

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The Pirates theme is 100% definitely more widely recognized than Giacchino's Trek theme.  That Pirates theme is catchy as hell.

The Pirates theme is so basic and even banal. Gia's theme is infinitely better though I agree not as famous. 

I would say Zimmer's Interstellar or even Inception or Sherlock Holmes would be much more recognizable to the wider audience than any Gia's or any modern Williams' theme after Harry Potter.

Such as matters are at hand...

9 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

Giacchino blows his load in track 3 and its downhill from there. 

I actually like the choral main theme at the end of track 6 more than what's in track 3

7 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

Uh... you would prefer an album with only  the action cues?

White doves rise out of my trousers just by imagining a long unedited collection of every action cue MG ever wrote being hard-coded on all my music-playing devices.

I have no idea what the chorus is singing at the end of "Hitting The Saucer A Little Hard" (it seems to be mixed in louder in the film) but isn't it the first time Giacchino has had the choir doing more than aahs and oohs in these films?

No, the first one has pet names, the second one has klingon...

Incidentally after listening to the Klingon cue the other day I had to look at the language and the grammar is wonderful.

3 minutes ago, Brónach said:

Incidentally after listening to the Klingon cue the other day I had to look at the language and the grammar is wonderful.

Pet names? Where?

As for the second, I forgot about Klingon Attack.

His Main Theme is very memorable and it will definitely be long remembered, but I do agree it has been overused in its time. But I think he corrected most of the overuse problem in Beyond by giving us some lovely and very welcomed variations. The piano version at the start was great, as was all the B and C phrases of the theme that he varied throughout the action tracks, specifically in my favourite action piece of the score 'Hitting the Saucer a Little Hard,' which also had that lovely choral section. Very refreshing.

45 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I really like the cadet bouncy motif and the stuff that precedes the main theme.

Yeah I really like how he uses those B and C phrases as his main focus for the enterprise during the action scenes in Beyond.

They're littered throughout this piece, but mainly at 0:39 - 0:50 and 1:22 - 1:33 and 1:48 - 1:54

Also a little observation: 0:48 - 0:54 in 'Par-Tay for the Course' is a reference to the melody of 'Labour of Love.' 

2:05 - 2:15 

7 hours ago, Brónach said:

7 hours ago, Gistech said:

Pet names? Where?

7 hours ago, Brónach said:

I don't remember.

Jason?

Well I had never heard this before, but I am capable of using Google

https://filmschoolrejects.com/20-things-we-learned-from-the-star-trek-commentary-f0934415826c#.8vwyxtcow - Question 18

and

So Williams used a line from Robert Graves translated into Sanskit. Goldsmth went for Latin translations of dark omens about blood and satan while Shore meticulously used several Elvish languages for his Middle-earth works.

Gia just used pet names....

For Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Shirley Walker used the names of her music partners sung backwards

17 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

I do remember liking the Klingon chorus in STID

and then found out they mixed it out of the movie -.-

It's in the film!

I'm a complete airhead when it comes to these star trek scores (and most other things in life). Can someone please answer a few questions i have?

What theme is this? 0:39-0:42

Also, what is the C section (ha) of the main theme? I'v heard it mentioned here but it isn't clear to me exactly what you guys are referring to. And finally, What is spock'stheme? I'v definitely heard it, because i've heard all the new st scores, but i haven't really listened in depth at all. Thanks