Michael Giacchino - STAR TREK BEYOND (2016)

Jay

It is. There are plenty of modern score releases that are ruined because they are simply too long. Do we really need a full CD of The Huntsman: Winters War for example?

Don't the composers these days know when enough is enough? At least Jerry did.

Honestly I prefer a shorter presentation almost exclusively.  It only really bugs me when I remember something from the movie that isn't on that presentation, but most composers are savvy enough to know what the big moments are.  The last time I cared about a missing track might have been the explosion/escape from the Federation ship at the end of The Phantom Menace, so it's been a great 17 years of OSTs for me :)

I don't mind if a lengthy score gets a 45-minute release, as long as it is given proper representation with a beginning, middle and end that also touches on all the pertinent material. Which is why an OST like First Knight failed so miserably, but the LotR OSTs worked very well.

26 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It is. There are plenty of modern score releases that are ruined because they are simply too long. Do we really need a full CD of The Huntsman: Winters War for example?

Don't the composers these days know when enough is enough? At least Jerry did.

If only.  They're too busy catering to competitionists/their own ego to make an entertaining and concise album.  

52 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

How in this day does a major blockbuster score get anything less than a full CD release anyway? 45 minutes is so 2000.

And before anyone points out the obvious (reuse fees), how come no other major releases seem to be affected by this? Is it just because Varese doesn't have the budget of the big labels?

Supposedly it was because any soundtrack performed by one of the hollywood union orchestras that sells more than 15,000 copies has to pay a huge amount of royalties to the union.  Most soundtracks released by the specialty labels sell less than that so they can fill them up; Varese knew that it being Star Trek related would sell more, so they kept it under 45 minutes to save themselves money.  Likely they also did it with the knowledge than an expansion would be released down the line.

6 hours ago, publicist said:

By that logic everyone should shut up in any case because you can bet nobody cares about what other people love, either. It's about what you contribute why you like or don't like something.

It is one of the more regrettable developments of the pc movement that any kind of debate culture is considered a plague-like intrusion of sourpuss-ness instead of just accepting the fact that one opinion is not more worthy or desirable just because it's not a critical one. After all, societies are in constant flux because not all things are well and people rightly demand change and complain.

Now, Michael Giacchino scores might not be high on a list of important topics to the world at large, on the other hand, where should such things be discussed than on a film music board?

Being Debbie Downer continually popping in just to reiterate over and over that you don't enjoy Giacchino's music on a discussion board of people excited for a soundtrack release isn't exactly striking any blows for intellectual freedom.  People do the same thing on Hans Zimmer-dedicated threads.  I don't like Zimmer's music very much but unlike others I don't feel the need to constantly say that I don't.

EDIT:

This isn't to say that these threads should be nothing but enthusiastic cheerleading, but what's the point of popping in just to say something like "This will be mediocre and unworthy of attention." What's that contributing?

On 5/5/2016 at 6:48 PM, JoeinAR said:

this should be mediocre

On 5/9/2016 at 10:04 AM, JoeinAR said:

You mean forgettable. 

On 5/9/2016 at 11:36 AM, JoeinAR said:

Stefan and I would be hard pressed to hum any MG music.

On 5/9/2016 at 2:07 PM, JoeinAR said:

Would not be worth listening to.

On 5/9/2016 at 2:11 PM, JoeinAR said:

To use several lines from Baseball he dropped the ball, he struck out,  He had a chance to set himself up with Jerry and Horner and failed miserably. He isn't untalented because up was beautiful but he's a broken clock or blind pig.

Normally I don't bother posting very much, but this time I feel I should weigh in as well.

The reason I visit this thread is because I actually have some interest in the subject.

So whenever I see new posts, I check in to see if there is any news or interesting insights.

Repeated negative comments without such insight are neither of those two and are therefore a waste of my time.

Those types of posts are also intensely BORING.

Are you allowed to make them? Technically yes. But why bother?

It is unlikely they would do any good at all to anyone, except (I hope) the person who made the post.

On another forum that I am Admin on, we had a bunch of trolls repeatedly making posts like that to the point that any actually interesting stuff got drowned out.

I consider that unacceptable and it led to threads being locked several times.

So I also have to request that posts made should actually have something interesting to say.

Repeating the same thing over and over isn't it.

(Oops, I might have repeated myself within the SAME post! My bad...)

I am not a troll and I resent that accusation!

My opinions about Gia are just as valid as those people who salivate of every note of their beloved saviour. For years they have been allowed to post their critically inane babblings all over the film score community. Praising a very average composer like he's the best thing since sliced bread.

On 5/5/2016 at 5:27 PM, EdwardHall said:

I feel like Giacchino should be composing the music for Star Wars Rogue One, not Desplat. Giacchino has paid his dues and is worthy of the job. 

How exactly has Alexandre Desplat not paid his dues?

I did not say anyone here is a troll. I said a bunch of people on another forum were trolls.

I also mentioned nobody in specific. So no accusations of any kind have been made from my side.

What I AM saying is that posts that are "negative for the sake of being negative" are a waste of my time.

And as such, I'd rather see as few of those as possible.

On topic posts are interesting. Pointless negativity as well as random off topic ramblings are not.

Joe getting a bowl of popcorn sitting back and watching the banter.

1 hour ago, EdwardHall said:

I did not say he did not.

"Not Desplat" seemed to imply a comparison.

1 hour ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

How exactly Gia paid his dues?

You don't know what goes on behind closed doors!

So considering this post is called 'Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Beyond,' how about we talk about things related to Michael Giacchino's upcoming Star Trek Beyond instead of pages and pages of "I don't like Giacchino's music, and I want every one to know I don't!" Followed by "Stop being mean, say something nice or not at all." Let's move on.

To those who actually want a discussion on the upcoming music; what are we expecting from the new material? I have only caught the teaser stuff of the motorcycle riding on that new planet, but who are the new aliens and bad guy? I'm guessing there's a main antagonist who Giacchino will score, and that's Idris Elba no? Thoughts on what their theme will entail? I'm a big fan of his previous two main bad guys themes. Nero's was fun with the huge, heavy brass which portrayed the might of the mining ship and his relentless quest for vengeance very well. And Khan's was nicely developed and varied with the soft piano for his intellectual side and the pulsing power for his strength and ruthlessness. 

I except the main theme, Enterprise theme, and Spock theme to return.

I don't expect Nero's Theme, Khan's Theme, Marcus' Theme, or the Vulcan theme to return

Yes, Idris Elba is the new villain.  There actually isn't much known about the plot really.

I'm sure he'll write a theme for the new villain, maybe a theme for another new supporting character, I dunno.

I'm kind of surprised how little we know right now, so close to the release.  And it doesn't seem like a "mystery box" thing, just a weird lack of promotion.  Makes it hard to predict what we're going to get in the score, so here's my weird prediction with no real basis in anything:  Giacchino will reference Goldsmith's TMP theme at some point in this score, similarly to how he referenced Courage's theme in the first two.

Yeah I can't find much on the plot which is nice for non spoilers, though some scenes in the trailer are ridiculously spoilerific, but hey ho, it's to be expected. It looks kind of tribal that planet so perhaps it will get some obvious tribal material. I expect drums and generally lots of percussion. No idea what the Elba alien is about so no idea what he might get, if that is him in the trailer. He looks lizard-like. But classic trek looking make-up.

I've just read that it's set 2.5 years into their 5 year mission as well. 

24 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Why would he do that? Thats theme is far too associated with TNG now.

I don't know, and outside of film score albums my only experience with Star Trek is with the two Abrams movies.  But I'm speculating!

In STID, he snuck in a piece of fight music from TOS in the San Fran Hustle cue, I could see him doing something like that again.  But can't think of a reason why he'd reference Jerry's TMP theme.

Hopefully some optimistic fun stuff will be in there somewhere. Heroic action stuff is always a favourite of mine.

I won't claim Giacchino is the best of composer ever (that is Williams, of course!), but he has written a lot of music that I like quite a bit.

And the action tracks in Medal of Honour are so very fun! :D

In my opinion, Giacchino understands thoroughly the emotions, the raw style of fun, childlike, yet deep and visually complex filmmaking that Spielberg and Lucas embraced in the late 1970s into the 1980s. It is just conjecture of course, but I think that both JJ Abrams and Giacchino target their careers toward an eventual Star Wars film. For Abrams, "Star Trek" "Star Trek Into Darkness" and especially Super 8 are like elements on a CV for a person with a larger goal in mind. For Giacchino, his many Pixar and Sci-fi scores served the same purpose. In my first post I inadvertently implied that Alexandre Desplat is not a capable composer, but that is not what I meant. He has also ably scored many different genres, but when I think of the bombastic elements that a Star Wars score inherently requires, Giacchino is a better fit. This is my opinion- I am not trying to start another pro-Giacchino/ anti-Giacchino feud.

All previous Trek composers understood the romanticism of the thing. Like Goldsmith said, Trek is romantic. Giacchino didn't seem to get this at all, although maybe he wasn't really at fault. Both scores are a massive letdown.

5 hours ago, EdwardHall said:

It is just conjecture of course, but I think that both JJ Abrams and Giacchino target their careers toward an eventual Star Wars film. 

Maybe that is the problem.

7 hours ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

All previous Trek composers understood the romanticism of the thing. Like Goldsmith said, Trek is romantic. Giacchino didn't seem to get this at all, although maybe he wasn't really at fault. Both scores are a massive letdown.

A massive letdown...for you.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

The scores are fairly different in tone from the Goldsmith/Horner Trek scores, but of course so are the movies.  For me, these are excellent, memorable, melodic, accessible sci-fi action-adventure scores.  I'm not arguing that Giacchino is a master composer but his music is always those 4 adjectives and I always look forward to hearing his new stuff, even if it can be disappointing at times (like Zootopia).

This.

I've been listening to Giacchino's Trek scores for the first time (I know, I know, but I'm new to film score fandom, okay?:P) and I'm really impressed. He's no Williams, but his action scoring can really be fun to listen to at times, like, say, in the STID opening scene. Although, some of Giacchino's middle-grade action stuff has the issue of emulating Williams to a degree but lacking the Williams "spirit," making those cues kind of boring. 

They're fun scores.  If you like them, you'd probably like John Carter, and possibly Super 8 as well.

Its later than a lot of films would record the score, but its not unheard of to record this close to release. Jurassic World was about the same as this.

If the film isn't out for another 7 weeks, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me to be recording it. It takes maybe a week to record a score like this?

I'd say there's more of a concern to get a score album made, assuming that Varese is going to make Giacchino make a 45 minute album. (Seriously, why does Varese hog this franchise when they clearly don't have the budget to do a proper album to start with?)

They would still have to edit, mix, and dub the film but this is all very doable with six or seven weeks.  They would simultaneously be mastering the album.  Giachinno is fast in sessions with probably a read through, a take or two, a patch or two, then move on.  Part of his tv experience comes in handy here in flying through sessions without a lot of second guessing.  I assume the rough mix is pretty close to the final mix too.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

If the film isn't out for another 7 weeks, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me to be recording it. It takes maybe a week to record a score like this?

I'd say there's more of a concern to get a score album made, assuming that Varese is going to make Giacchino make a 45 minute album. (Seriously, why does Varese hog this franchise when they clearly don't have the budget to do a proper album to start with?)

It's called business.