Michael Giacchino - STAR TREK BEYOND (2016)

Jay

15 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Glad it sounds like we'll be ending with a rendition of the TOS theme once more. 

Sounds terrific! That's a new coda after the Courage theme, right?

Ah, so we're having the 2009 "To Boldly Go" music back. I'm hoping the full end credits is included on this album. The Into Darkness album felt very naked without them. I'm also curious to see how he starts the film, though I'm guessing he'll just use his theme as he did in the last one (though I wouldn't mind some elements of the Courage Theme being included in the intro given this is supposed to be during the five-year mission).

23 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Glad it sounds like we'll be ending with a rendition of the TOS theme once more. 

Could use another orchestration, though. After two films ...

4 hours ago, Gistech said:

I'm also curious to see how he starts the film, though I'm guessing he'll just use his theme as he did in the last one (though I wouldn't mind some elements of the Courage Theme being included in the intro given this is supposed to be during the five-year mission).

Giacchino did include a very short quote of Courage's theme in his Into Darkness opening sequence score. 

This film will premiere on July 20 at San Diego Comic Con with a live-to-projection performance of Giacchino's score by the San Diego Symphony! How many films have premiered this way? This sounds awesome! 

Press release: https://www.comic-con.org/sites/default/files/forms/cci216_startrek_pr.pdf

Also...

EDIT: 

How many films have premiered this way?

22 hours ago, Bill said:

Giacchino did include a very short quote of Courage's theme in his Into Darkness opening sequence score. 

Really? When?

13 minutes ago, amh1219 said:

Really? When?

I can remember the snippet appearing when the locals start worshipping Enterprise. But not the theme itself.

Karol

11 minutes ago, amh1219 said:

Really? When?

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I can remember the tritone appearing when the locals start worshipping Enterprise. But not the theme itself.

Karol

First of all, the fanfare from :08-:12 in this video is considered part of the theme, right?

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Oh yes, you are right. I'm confusing this cue with another one. From another score (Nero Death Experience)!

Karol

@amh1219

Well, I watched the relevant part of the STID opening just now, and here's the interesting thing: the Courage theme is heard both on the OST and deluxe edition in the track "Sub Prime Directive," which contains part of the score for the opening sequence. Listen here:

But that theme is NOT heard in the final film. At 7:48 in the following video, we should hear it if the final film's score exactly matched that of the album. But we don't. There is silence until 8:03, where music begins again, although for a few seconds this music is NOT exactly the same as the music heard on the album right after the Courage theme statement (meaning that something more than a simple dialing-out of the Courage theme is going on here). Then they become identical until the end of the opening sequence (when the words "Star Trek Into Darkness" appear).

4 hours ago, Bill said:

That 2m8a title! :lol:

And some awesome percussion...

I find nothing more tedious than Giacchino's percussion-driven cues.

No, wait, Zimmer's.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Well, I watched the relevant part of the STID opening just now, and here's the interesting thing: the Courage theme is heard both on the OST and deluxe edition in the track "Sub Prime Directive," which contains part of the score for the opening sequence. Listen here:

2 hours ago, Bill said:

But that theme is NOT heard in the final film. At 7:48 in the following video, we should hear it if the final film's score exactly matched that of the album. But we don't. There is silence until 8:03, where music begins again, although for a few seconds this music is NOT exactly the same as the music heard on the album right after the Courage theme statement. Then they become identical until the end of the opening sequence (when the words "Star Trek Into Darkness" appear).

Weird. At least, the sound effects work pretty well on their own.

18 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

I find nothing more tedious than Giacchino's percussion-driven cues.

It's kinda boring to listen to. But awesome to watch! 

The minute I saw the trailer with the aliens and their world, the tribal drums was obviously going to make it into the score. I enjoyed his DotPotA score, so I'm looking forward to some tribal percussion mixed with his Trek style. Could be interesting.

On 05/27/2016 at 0:31 AM, Bill said:

It wasn't used, though.

11 hours ago, Gistech said:

It wasn't used, though.

Yep, that's what I figured out recently. See my above post, which I have quoted here:

On 5/28/2016 at 6:15 PM, Bill said:

@amh1219

But that theme is NOT heard in the final film. At 7:48 in the following video, we should hear it if the final film's score exactly matched that of the album. But we don't. There is silence until 8:03, where music begins again, although for a few seconds this music is NOT exactly the same as the music heard on the album right after the Courage theme statement (meaning that something more than a simple dialing-out of the Courage theme is going on here). Then they become identical until the end of the opening sequence (when the words "Star Trek Into Darkness" appear).

I think the score may wind up being my favorite of the three--some cool space music, more interesting action music, and at least one great emotional moment. 

:joy:

• 2 weeks later...

Is it ok to say that the first one sounds terrible? I actually loved his first Trek score and liked the second. But it seems he can't implement his theme in any other way than he did before. That percussion sounds so ... small.

Sounds like they might have finally gone where no Star Trek film has gone before: To fun and exploration!

If there is one wish I have for this sequel, it would be that.

Also quite noteworthy that apparently Giacchino was quite willing to write music more in line with previous Star Trek music,

but basically "wasn't allowed to" because it "didn't quite fit the film they were making". Here's to hoping he finally got his opportunity this time around!

Just watched the interview, and I am now even more excited for this score! The best of Giacchino's adventurous/fun Star Trek music (like the Into Darkness opening) is IMO Williams-quality material. Could Beyond be Giacchino's best score yet? 

16 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I'm hoping for an adventurous romp, kinda like the opening of Into Darkness. 

I would love that!

16 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Also quite noteworthy that apparently Giacchino was quite willing to write music more in line with previous Star Trek music,

but basically "wasn't allowed to" because it "didn't quite fit the film they were making".

Yes, that was rather heartbreaking to hear. To be fair though, music like we had in the old movies wouldn't have worked very well for NuTrek. It's too A.D.D.