The Force Awakens: What would you change and how?

leeallen01

Structurally it felt like all these other modern franchise movies where it works almost as a tease or an advertisement for the next one. Which I hate.

I'm looking forward to Rogue One more than the episodes for this very reason. It will be a stand-alone story that doesn't rely on having to set-up all these threads for future installments.

Good score by J-Willy though.

Here's how it is. You can still hate a movie and think it's mediocre.

Plus I've only seen those movies plus Avengers 2, Crimson Peak and that new M. Night movie about the grandparents. But they didn't make my top 5. This was a weak year.

Here's how it is for me: I'd never put a movie I didn't enjoy in my top five. I've only seen about 4 movies myself this year, one of which was Mad Max. It's not been placed in my top 4.

Simply for the sake of science, I'll definitely watch The Force Awakens again, but at home. The theatre's projection quality, which is supposed to be the latest of the latest technology, was a bad Snoke joke. I don't think I will ever go the theatre again.

I don't even know which $#&@^ thread to put this in, so I'm putting it here. Just to have a say.

Just got back from seeing it. I was overwhelmed.

Overwhelmed that so much money and "talent" could be thrown together and all that comes out is a rehash of the OT. I wish people would stop being so impressionable and so apt to get caught up in a frenzy, and wouldn't rush out to see these films, because they're just encouraging these goons to stay cowardly and lazy. There are no Alan Ladd Jr.s in the world anymore, apparently.

The music was INVISIBLE, not remotely memorable, and I don't care if you all start peeing your pants over that statement.

I totally avoided any articles about this film over the past few years, so that when I went in, it would be totally original. IRONY-- I couldn't believe how many scenes were derivative from the past films.

Quick question, how does a bad guy, who's supposed to be the new stand-in wannabe Vader, Get pretty much owned by a soul brutha with no training and a desert scavenger with no training (don't give me that "she's strong with the force" crap), both with absolutely no idea how to use a lightsaber? And this villain clown, who didn't need to wear a mask since he's a horsefaced Marilyn Manson lookalike to start with, is the new ripoff stand-in Emperor's right hand man? What a steaming dumb pile of... well you know. And by the way, I could've delivered an open-hand slap on the side of that dude's face, and he would've stumbled off, crying. Not for one moment was I in any way threatened by him.

Oh, and for those of you too young to know, the evil-superior-master-perched-above-on-a-throne-before-his-henchmen and the silver stormtrooper were brought to you by Battlestar Galactica, 1978.

And when I read that good ol' Larry Kasdan was involved, I told myself, "Well Jeff, that dude has had his dick in his right hand for thirty+ years, wishing he could've killed Han Solo, and it looks like he'll finally get to finish off." Predictable.

The reappearance of the old stars just made it more obvious how far things have fallen. I was pretty sure that I was going to see Carrie Fisher die of old age on camera, but alas. And just as I suspected, Harrison Ford probably only agreed to appear as Han just to get that payday. Hell, it was a payday all around, for Disney, for Ford, for Abrams, for everybody.

Except for me, who wasted $13.50 to lose two hours of my life that I will never get back.

I am done with Star Wars films. During the movie, I accepted the reality that I have hit the age when nothing is as good as it once was. Either that, or this movie SUCKED. I need to stop trying to be optimistic, believing that people can do great things I guess.

My wife said, "I'm sorry." And I said, "For what? My name isn't on that shitpile."

He's right that Williams' score is figuratively "invisible" in the film. I felt the same about Silvestri's The Avengers. I'd go a step further and say they felt more anonymous in their films.

But on album, it takes a life of its own. Separately from the film, it can breathe and boldly go wherever. But it was suffocated by noisy blowy-uppy bits in the movie.

It's odd that Art Jeffrey remarks that the score is "invisible" while almost every single professional review I've combed over lauded the unmistakable contribution Williams made to the movie. Hmm.

Quick question, how does a bad guy, who's supposed to be the new stand-in wannabe Vader, Get pretty much owned by a soul brutha with no training and a desert scavenger with no training (don't give me that "she's strong with the force" crap), both with absolutely no idea how to use a lightsaber?

Easy, he was bleeding from the hip out of a blaster wound courtesy of Chewie

Yes! It woulda been cool if after escaping the guns of the Star Destroyer, they had to have a little dogfight before ultimately getting away

I didn't mind the way Han died, but he needed a proper goodbye. "Tell Leia I love here"..."She knows". Something like that.

Can someone explain to me what's going on with the Republic? Do they even have a proper functioning government? A military? Is the chess board basically where it was at the beginning of ANH..i.e. a bunch of scrappy rebels fighting against an all powerful enemy? Was that Corsuscant that got blown away by the Starkiller base?

I heard vague references to the Republic and the Senate, but if there really is a new Republic and Senate running the show, what is the "resistance"? Are they somehow separate from the Republic?

I found the lack of explanation of the political structure and confusion over Coruscant to be an unnecessary fuck you to the prequels. That needed some fleshing out. There are a lot of viewers, myself included, confused about if Coruscant got blown up.

Are there 3 factions now?

Republic

Resistance

First Order

I read a lot of complaints about that. But the film make sit perfectly clear Kylo Ren is suffering from the wounds he sustained.

One thing I would have changed...

Less trees!

What do you mean? There were trees in the way?

I found the lack of explanation of the political structure and confusion over Coruscant to be an unnecessary fuck you to the prequels. That needed some fleshing out. There are a lot of viewers, myself included, confused about if Coruscant got blown up.

Are there 3 factions now?

Republic

Resistance

First Order

I don't mind that they ignored the Prequels, they deserved to be ignored. But while I think it only makes sense to assume that the death of the Emperor and Vader didn't mean the Empire just went away, the notion of restoring the Old Republic was what the Rebels were supposedly fighting for in the OT, so I think it makes sense that the state of what's going on the galaxy deserves at least some mention. I get ignoring the politics that dragged down the Prequels, but as it is it basically seems like nothings change on the chess board since ROTJ. Has the Rebel Alliance simple become the Resistance, and they've been fighting for 30 years?

"I should have shot....first..."

*dies*

LMFAO.

Why do you assume the next 2 films won't go into that?

I don't. I'm sure they probably will. The fact that I'm nitpicking about wanting to know the state of galactic politics pretty much demonstrates how much I unabashedly enjoyed this film. Had a stupid grin on my face throughout.
That's not to say I didn't have some minor issues with it, but on the whole I was happy to be manipulated by the nostalgia of what as essentially a remake. Which is just what Star Wars needed, IMO.

What ending? I never saw the post you're referring to

~

Well, don't let it happen again!

Here's the original writeup I did

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24637&page=45entry1095084

Who's the fittie in the background?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Cookson

Even ANH had dialogue in the Imperial conference room to establish the relationship of the Senate to the changing political structure. I'm not saying this film should've opened with the taxation of trade routes, but we have good guys and bad guys fighting in a galaxy that seems to have an established government that is separate from them. I think there could have been a way to clarify what's the story with the folks on Coruscant.