Will John Williams score episodes 8 and 9?

55 members have voted

1. 1. Will John Williams score episodes 8 and 9?

Looks like as of July 2013 the plan was, seemingly, for Williams to do the entire trilogy (http://www.slashfilm.com/john-williams-confirmed-to-score-star-wars-episode-vii-watch-a-video-of-him-discussing-it/):

Thanks to starwars.com for the info. Read a blog of the entire Kathleen Kennedy chat here. That’s where the producer said the following:

"I had breakfast with someone very important to the ‘Star Wars’ family on Friday, and he has committed to being involved in the next three films, and that is Mr. John Williams."

Looks like as of July 2013 the plan was, seemingly, for Williams to do the entire trilogy (http://www.slashfilm.com/john-williams-confirmed-to-score-star-wars-episode-vii-watch-a-video-of-him-discussing-it/):

Thanks to starwars.com for the info. Read a blog of the entire Kathleen Kennedy chat here. Thats where the producer said the following:

"I had breakfast with someone very important to the Star Wars family on Friday, and he has committed to being involved in the next three films, and that is Mr. John Williams."

Why go to Slashfilm?

The info is right here on JWFan:

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=5836

I just feel like she wouldn't have specified three films if they really hadn't talked about that.

Maybe something's changed since then but it really doesn't seem to me like this project burnt him out at all.

His pacemaker clearly didn't slow him down though. He put a lot of effort into TFA and now he's working on The BFG. His enthusiasm hasn't seemed to change... Based on all the interviews.

“I didn’t have any reservations about it at all,” Williams said. “I thought it would be great fun.”

Why would he not score the next two films if he said that about 7?

When it was announced there would be a new Star Wars trilogy, I immediately assumed that JW would be asked, and that he'd turn it down and the baton would pass to a new composer, and I was comfortable with that.

When TFA was announced to be directed by JJ Abrams, I immediately assumed Giacchino would be that baton, and I was comfortable with that.

But now that Williams has composed Episode VII, I'd like to see him do the next two.

I'm comfortable with others composing the anthology films.

A lot has happened since then though. Not sure if he's still up for it.

You refer to The Pacemaker?

Why do I constantly hear Hans Zimmer's theme whenever anyone mentions that? ;)

Karol

I really hope not!

If Williams rarely writes a film score nowadays, I really hope it could be something else than add 2 more hours in the existing 14 hours of Star Wars music!

I can't understand how people can't get enough of this and don't want something else, in another genre, in another style.

It sounds really strange to me..

I would very much welcome a score for a period romantic drama (Anna Karenina like), or a horror film, or a simple contemporary drama movie (like The accidental Tourist or Stepmom - i'm really curious how Williams would score a film like that now) or a biblical film or even - why not - an anime film, but another Star Wars???

But whst if he wants to do one?

Karol

Of course, that is his decision.

I just said what I would like and that i don't understand this huge demand for yet another Star Wars score from the fans.

I'm surprised also that he isn't bored yet himself of revisiting the same musical landscape over and over and over and over...

It's like an actor playing the same role again and again and again, and I think actors usually don't like typecasting.

If JW doesn't complete the new trilogy, it'll be a huge missed opportunity. He is two scores away from completing a nine movie saga - an incredible feat and a great way to end a distinguished career. He has started this trilogy amd I want him to finish it too.

I would very much welcome a score for a period romantic drama (Anna Karenina like), or a horror film, or a simple contemporary drama movie (like The accidental Tourist or Stepmom - i'm really curious how Williams would score a film like that now) or a biblical film or even - why not - an anime film, but another Star Wars???

Let's be realistic, though, it's not like Star Wars is eating up his schedule for all these myriad of other opportunities that he would have taken otherwise. If it's not Star Wars, it would be Spielberg and concert music. We can't count on him doing more "surprise" scores like The Book Thief. I just want as much as I can get from him and aside from Spielberg, Star Wars seems to be the only likely possibility for new Williams film music these days.

I'd prefer not to have another Harry Potter incident where the scores get worse and worse with each film after POA. Nobody is going to work with Williams themes better than Williams. It's better he finishes what he started. I'd be very surprised if he decided to depart now.

Because they are brilliant? Especially the new one?

So, if something is brilliant, we should try to repeat it indefinitely?

WTF? Would you rather we replace something brilliant with something that's not?

Because they are brilliant? Especially the new one?

So, if something is brilliant, we should try to repeat it indefinitely?

But that's just the thing. John Williams doesn't repeat himself. All his Star Wars scores are original and fresh.

It's too bad for you that it's not the score you want him to write, but he clearly enjoys writing them.

And the man is almost 84 years old. He can do whatever he wants.

• 4 weeks later...

I would LOVE for him to complete the trilogy meanwhile other voices start expanding on his material in the non trilogy films...a very slow passing of the torch.  He turns 84 next month and that is a big deal.  Wishing him many more years of wonderful music ahead.

Elliott Carter died at 103, and still writing good music. A couple of months ago I went to a local symphony concert and they played his flute concerto, that Carter wrote being a 100 year old man.

I can see Williams surprising us all and finishing this trilogy with excellent music. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Hopefully he will.  However, conversations like this make all of us seem like the crazy lady from Misery.

Annie Wilkes is her name. One of the great literary and cinematic female villains of the 20th century.

1 hour ago, Scarpia said:

Elliott Carter died at 103, and still writing good music. A couple of months ago I went to a local symphony concert and they played his flute concerto, that Carter wrote being a 100 year old man.

I can see Williams surprising us all and finishing this trilogy with excellent music. 

Yes, but HELLO, REALITY here!  Carter is a longevity freak not a representative model of what is expected.

But Williams may well be a similar case, and you can certainly not say that a man in his eighties writing a good amount of great music and conducting it to fit the picture, with all the effort this involves, is representative of what is expected.

I got a very nice feeling when I saw the video with him conducting The Force Awakens music and working with Abrams. He looked and sounded really good.

On 12/19/2015 at 5:11 PM, BloodBoal said:

But eventually, someone will have to replace him on the main films. Disney ain't gonna stop with Episode IX.

There will very likely be future episodes, but I think it would be significant if he made it to the end of this trilogy....there's been talk of a 9-part Star Wars series for about as long as Star Wars itself has been around. Now that it's underway I think that there would be something very special about him hitting this "checkpoint," especially because it will presumably complete Luke Skywalker's story. A second sequel trilogy, or third, or fourth etc, these mean less to me as far as Williams' involvement goes because they would have less and less to do with the original characters as they moved forward.

That said, The Force Awakens is its own milestone, and while I would be incredibly disappointed if John didn't continue, there would be something satisfying about having this be one final Williams score for Star Wars. If he were to do 8 but then not 9, that would feel much weirder with suddenly John Williams missing for the grand finale. On the other hand, I'm more interested in what Rian Johnson could possibly bring out of him than Colin Trevorrow, so 8 in and of itself has its own curiosities. One score at a time.

i don't think star wars just gets handed over, cold, to somebody new.

i feel like he'd bring in more help and delegate some of the writing (as he currently does with the orchestration), under his guidance, and taper off until he is just a consultant and someone else is writing. which probably means that it would not be some big name with their own identity and individual style.

I think as long as he's able to he'll score them .The big question is how his health will be a year or 2 from now. 84 is starting to be really old