Rey's Theme – John Williams' Best Theme Yet?

BLUMENKOHL

Rey's Theme – John Williams' Best Theme Yet?   

104 members have voted

1. 1. Rey's Theme ? John Williams' Best Theme Yet?

• YES! Sweeping, malleable, chameleon, fresh, beautiful, and perfect!
    • NO! It's terrible!
    • Maybe, it's too early to tell, but it keeps growing on me!
    • I'm a Communist and believe all themes are equal, though Rey's Theme is more equal than other themes.
    • I don't have any opinion yet

On 19 December 2015 at 4:06 AM, king mark said:

NO, but it's pretty good

Yeah thats the voting option that I wanted. "No but its very good"

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I don't know, some crazy people around here love Tintin...

I love Tintin, but it's not really a score that stands out thematically, so Rey's theme obviously crushes all of that. :)

Here is another ode to this brilliant theme.

I saw this film again today, 2D. Better experience.

The woodwinds in the intro gives Rey very airy and light ride down the sand hill, then the speeder bike ride is lightened with woodwind/strings fast passage upwards. Low strings joined with pizzicato line, great choice by John, giving the lightness. Also you can hear some sadness, hope and young energy(force) in this theme.

Not  bad writing by 83 years old ex-good-composer...

As one of the net comments said "JJ should have rejected this score, due to the lack of the hummable themes..."  Oh dear!

"Rey's Theme" is an absolute gem. 

As a character theme, Williams just nails it: Equal parts rugged frontier piece and yearning cantilena, it's an adventure theme that not only beautifully portrays Rey's character, but also sets up much of the premise of the film in musical terms. A musical awakening, of sorts, centered around an omnipresent minor third (which I've elsewhere referred to as a cornerstone and major piece of musical symbolism in this score).

As a concert piece, and as a theme per se, it's startlingly unprecedented (I prefer this word to "original"): There are no other Star Wars themes like it (even though it's a very comfortable fit for that universe), nor does it really have any close cousins within the rest of Williams' ouvre.

If anything, it's a sort of "Hiawatha" piece, seemingly existing in an incongruous state of playful melancholy. 

The concert arrangement, much like the premise of the character, is a piece about (self-)discovery. Almost every iteration of the theme is simultaneously also a variation, constantly propelled by the jaunty minor third pentatonic motif (again: of symbolic significance) that is finally taken up as the climax of the B phrase, in the process becoming a sort of "triumph" motif,  and a "self-confirmation", really, given that the theme is also launched by that same interval. 

In short: Williams manages to do in ca.3 minutes what the film does in about 200.

The best? I don't know. All I know is that it has been stuck in my head since Thursday and my love for it grows with each passing listen. The way how Williams keeps redefining and expanding the musical vocabulary for Star Wars, in addition to him still being able to churn out beautiful pieces like this at the age he's at, is nothing short of absolutely, immensely, insanely fantastic. For me, I guess I'd say, yes, it is one of his best.  

15 minutes ago, Marcus said:

As a concert piece, and as a theme per se, it's startlingly unprecedented (I prefer this word to "original"): There are no other Star Wars themes like it (even though it's a very comfortable fit for that universe), nor does it really have any close cousins within the rest of Williams' ouvre.

Well, the Force theme certainly.

16 minutes ago, Marcus said:

"Rey's Theme" is an absolute gem.

Big time.

On 12/21/2015 at 11:03 PM, Lockdown said:

I swear Rey's Theme came from The Phantom Menace..

More like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE4MW2HNluw

8 hours ago, hornist said:

Here is another ode to this brilliant theme.

I saw this film again today, 2D. Better experience.

The woodwinds in the intro gives Rey very airy and light ride down the sand hill, then the speeder bike ride is lightened with woodwind/strings fast passage upwards. Low strings joined with pizzicato line, great choice by John, giving the lightness. Also you can hear some sadness, hope and young energy(force) in this theme.

Not  bad writing by 83 years old ex-good-composer...

As one of the net comments said "JJ should have rejected this score, due to the lack of the hummable themes..."  Oh dear!

"Speeder Bike?"

REALLY?

13 hours ago, hornist said:

I was just reading the comments on the official "Rey's Theme" YouTube upload....that was a mistake. Some nice thoughts but a lot of depressing ones overall.

Hope we see the tide turn soon from general Star Wars fans. Seemed a lot of us experienced the strange early disappointment as well so it's hard to blame others who may be less inclined to exploring things further. Of course we've been getting those repeat listens/viewings in immediately.

It's just getting more and more disheartening to see things like "No good themes?!? I'm devastated! How could you do this, John Williams? :(" My feelings have become so strong about this score that it's kinda aggravating to see all the negativity. It's weird that this is so divisive. Though maybe that makes it better in some ways...

On December 22, 2015 at 11:57 PM, skyy38 said:

Quite fittingly enough, MY version of REY'S THEME uses the first two notes of Ben's Theme.

How does this place keep attracting autistic people? Is there a vaccination requirement to sign up? ;)

Definitely not. It is too unfocused both structurally and harmonically IMHO. The best theme on the album is in track 15, Han and Leia. Second best is The Jedi Steps (quite wonderful, also heard in one of the trailers), March of the resistance, The Scavenger, The Starkiller and a few other tracks are stand outs too.

I never thought there would come a day where I would say this, but unfortunately I don't think John Williams' music is as extraordinary as it used to be. Right up until (and including) Tintin I think his work has been more or less consistantly sublime, but this score only comes 80% of the way. It is still solid film music, but it lacks the themes to make it stand out, and also the level of detail and finesse in orchestration and thematic material is lacking compared to his past works. I think we are past his best works for sure now, but I will still look forward to anything he does, just not with as much anticipation. And of course he has left a huge legacy that I will be ever thankful of.

1 hour ago, Simon R. said:

Definitely not. It is too unfocused both structurally and harmonically IMHO. The best theme on the album is in track 15, Han and Leia. Second best is The Jedi Steps (quite wonderful, also heard in one of the trailers), March of the resistance, The Scavenger, The Starkiller and a few other tracks are stand outs too.

I never thought there would come a day where I would say this, but unfortunately I don't think John Williams' music is as extraordinary as it used to be. Right up until (and including) Tintin I think his work has been more or less consistantly sublime, but this score only comes 80% of the way. It is still solid film music, but it lacks the themes to make it stand out, and also the level of detail and finesse in orchestration and thematic material is lacking compared to his past works. I think we are past his best works for sure now, but I will still look forward to anything he does, just not with as much anticipation. And of course he has left a huge legacy that I will be ever thankful of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8VJTIE4Bik

I thought it sounded quite pleasant but a little forgettable on my first viewing.

I fell in love on my second.

Not sure how it ranks for me - I haven't listened to any of the score outside the film yet, though that will be changing soon. But god, that theme is just perfect for the character and for the film. It has these interwoven layers of strength, vulnerability, beauty, nostalgia, and determination that totally mirror the young woman who has very quickly become one of my favorite Star Wars characters.

7 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I was just reading the comments on the official "Rey's Theme" YouTube upload....that was a mistake. Some nice thoughts but a lot of depressing ones overall.

Reading the Youtube comments on anything will shake your faith in humanity...

Color me unsurprised they bounce off a more subtle score.

51 minutes ago, Ricard said:

Watch out, Simon R. Some people here won't take seriously the opinion of those they disagree with.

That's ok - it is afterall just that; my opinion, people are welcome to disagree :)

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You are wrong about that!

See Michael's reaction to Simon R.'s post.

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Similarly, some people may not agree with that idea!

I agree with the idea of people disagreeing, but not with people always assuming the wrong thing.

Obviously the irony of my post was lost on you.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me, or even if they hold different opinions then I do. They are wrong to do so of course. But I do not hold it against them.

Thanks Ricard but I really wasn't gone I usually check back every few days. But hell Star Wars the Force Awakens is an event. It's almost paradigm shifting in this environment as Star Wars was back in 77. 

I think Mad Max and The Force Awakens both combined could prove to be modern touchstones in a way for genre flicks. Filmmakers could sit up and look to these and see where they'd been going wrong after becoming so inspired by the CG advances in the wake of Jurassic Park, Titanic, LOTR, Avatar as well as the increasingly epic running times.

Whether you prefer one or the other out of these 2015 movies, they have a lot in common. Approx 2 hour running times, breathless energy, an exuberant spirit and melancholy emotions rather than aggressively dark and gloomy. Efficient screenwriting, musical scores that stand out and substantially contribute to the film's goals, further proof that practical effects and CGI can co-exist and in many ways are more powerful and "mind blowing" when balanced together. And of course the independence of the lead female roles. The fact that they're franchise sequel reboots is almost irrelevant. I think these two films have marked the year in similar ways, a "back to basics" approach that has been building up for a little while but really seemed to explode with critics and audiences this year. Even Jurassic World fits most of those albeit to a less notable extent, but particularly it adds to the point that "fun" can be the prevailing trait in a PG-13 or R-rated blockbuster. "Dark and gritty" doesn't have to be the order of the day to appeal to teenagers.

I hope we see more like Mad Max and Star Wars because they're both really sticking with me.

10 hours ago, Simon R. said:

...and also the level of detail and finesse in orchestration and thematic material is lacking compared to his past works.

His primary hero and villain themes get quite a workout in this score, way more than we've been accustomed to in his output.  Rey's theme especially is used in myriad guises suggesting different emotional attitudes, frames of mind, progression within the action on screen, etc.  What is the last Williams score you recall that had this level of thematic density?

18 hours ago, Marcus said:

There are no other Star Wars themes like it

There's another thing about it that's rare or perhaps even a first for the Star Wars series: It's a character theme for a character where the music, the characterisation and the acting all come together on the same high level.

5 minutes ago, steb74 said:

I think Anakin's theme could have achieved that or at least had the potential to had it not failed on the final points you make.

Certainly, but neither the character nor the acting do it justice. There are better examples in the OT that still fall short: Darth Vader as a character absolutely lives up to his march, but there really isn't much acting there, obviously (fine voice acting, of course). Princess Leia, wonderfully acted in the original film, but not really all that much of a character, and the theme is more about the idea of a space fairy tale Carrie Fisher princess and less about an actual character.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that characterisation and acting almost repel the theme.

I think Vader's theme stands wonderfully in both worlds, working a character theme perhaps even because of the lack of acting and also just as a dominating and oppressing type musical idea that a viewer could identify with.

SW for me is basically just thematic ideas rather than characterisations anyway.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

There's another thing about it that's rare or perhaps even a first for the Star Wars series: It's a character theme for a character where the music, the characterisation and the acting all come together on the same high level.

Yoda, Jabba, the Emperor, and Vader could probably match Rey on these criteria...but as far as leads go, she really is a first. And there's a beautiful depth to her thematic material that's different from anything in those characters' material.

Pretty sure I'm getting the OST for Christmas, which is why I've put off buying it. Good lord, I cannot wait to finally listen to it.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

You could always listen to the FYC without spoiling your present :devil:

Oh, I'll be spending plenty of time getting to know that FYC soon enough. I decided to just savor these few days of (very intense) yearning and then have my first album exposure be the OST. I may even try to delay my first listen of the FYC for a while, so I can truly appreciate the addition of the new music. I'm kind of a strange bloke in my listening habits, though. :)

9 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

His primary hero and villain themes get quite a workout in this score, way more than we've been accustomed to in his output.  Rey's theme especially is used in myriad guises suggesting different emotional attitudes, frames of mind, progression within the action on screen, etc.  What is the last Williams score you recall that had this level of thematic density?

For me, analyzing the music doesn't make it any better. The score might have a big "thematic density" if you analyze it thoroughly - I just react to the music emotionally, I am not interested in analyzing it. I just think all of his earlier scores sound so effortless - the themes and stylistic/dramatic transitions just seem to flow so naturally. In this score I think a lot of it sounds forced - like Williams didn't have the capability to make the music flow as well as he used to. It might be due to how the film flows, I haven't seen it yet, but it is the first time I feel that way about a score of his. A lot of cues also have very unelegant endings on the CD. Seem like very technical endings, not musical ones. And I don't think Williams usual do a lot of rewrites for the album that make them more musical (I know he sometimes do concert versions of major themes and such - that's not what I am talking about) - so again, this is a major difference on this album from his earlier ones.

On another note: I still think the very last theme on the score (and probably in the film as well), "The Jedi Steps" is the best - it is truly a great Williams theme. It has so much potential - could be expanded, mutated etc etc. and I hope it gets a prominent position in the next film. I have no idea what it reflects in the film but I think it is a pity that THIS wasn't one of the big new themes. This is Williams at his best.

On 23/12/2015 at 9:05 AM, mrbellamy said:

It's just getting more and more disheartening to see things like "No good themes?!? I'm devastated! How could you do this, John Williams? :(" My feelings have become so strong about this score that it's kinda aggravating to see all the negativity. It's weird that this is so divisive.

17 hours ago, armorb said:

Reading the Youtube comments on anything will shake your faith in humanity...

I keep reading about this supposed widespread YouTube negativity here and after again spending some time reading the comments there myself (the VEVO version), I saw pretty much nothing but positivity and appreciation for the theme. 

I think you guys are guilty of feeding a self perpetuating myth because of some sort of misplaced John Williams anxiety, knock it off .