Rey's Theme – John Williams' Best Theme Yet?

BLUMENKOHL

Rey's Theme – John Williams' Best Theme Yet?   

104 members have voted

1. 1. Rey's Theme ? John Williams' Best Theme Yet?

• YES! Sweeping, malleable, chameleon, fresh, beautiful, and perfect!
    • NO! It's terrible!
    • Maybe, it's too early to tell, but it keeps growing on me!
    • I'm a Communist and believe all themes are equal, though Rey's Theme is more equal than other themes.
    • I don't have any opinion yet

I lvoe all of the new themes from TFA, especially the new character themes. Williams wrote some beautiful new melodies and still managed to tie-in original Star Wars material like the Force Theme and little tidbits from other Star Wars scores. The theme for the bad guys is a little underwhelming but I actually appreciate that because the whole Emo Kylo Ren scenario really fits in with the upcoming generation of teenagers, don't you think? He's a big cry-baby.

Rey's theme, though, man, I could listen to it forever. It's beautiful. I can seriously relate to that piece of music.

I love how delicate it is and the story it tells orchestrationally. Also sufficiently smug after posters here laughed off my suggestion that Williams would use the piano as a key instrument in her theme, because it would be "un-Star Wars-ian." As if he was going to rest on his laurels and not expand the musical palette of the saga!

It's not really a key instrument in the theme, no more than it has been in other scores as an accompaniment color, and it's doubled, so again not quite what you seemed to be getting at.  I have good news, you can release your smugness.

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I love how delicate it is and the story it tells orchestrationally. Also sufficiently smug after posters here laughed off my suggestion that Williams would use the piano as a key instrument in her theme, because it would be "un-Star Wars-ian." As if he was going to rest on his laurels and not expand the musical palette of the saga!

I remember someone at TFN about 15 years ago suggested a piano element for Episodes II or III, and some puritan barked that he didn't want pianos anywhere near SW but didn't elaborate on why. ESB had piano, so there is precedent.

4 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

It's not really a key instrument in the theme, no more than it has been in other scores as an accompaniment color, and it's doubled, so again not quite what you seemed to be getting at.  I have good news, you can release your smugness.

You're right, it's completely irrelevant that the second instrument Williams uses in the entire score for Rey is an extended piano solo, which is exactly what I predicted he would use to accentuate her isolation on Jakku. You are hilarious. :lol:

As a side note, it's cute how you follow me from thread to thread being so censorious. Do you even realise those aforementioned anti-piano posts were satirical from Stefancos and Bloodboal? You must have so much personal fulfilment in your life.

"And today, I put this guy on an internet forum in his place by correcting him that the piano isn't a key instrument in a musical composition from that new Star Wars film!"

4 hours ago, Drax said:

I remember someone at TFN about 15 years ago suggested a piano element for Episodes II or III, and some puritan barked that he didn't want pianos anywhere near SW but didn't elaborate on why. ESB had piano, so there is precedent.

It's one thing when piano is used as a percussion isntrument, and another thing when piano is used to carry a  melody.

I guess that person was suggesting the latter.

24 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

It's one thing when piano is used as a percussion isntrument, and another thing when piano is used to carry a  melody.

I guess that person was suggesting the latter.

Exactly. Williams perfectly establishes Rey's Theme through the piano. In the film, both leitmotif in the theme are first performed on piano, the perfect choice to represent her isolation on Jakku. I've also noticed the cue is often cited by fans as one of their favourites and a key musical moment for Rey in the film.

Which is the perfect segue to this stunning piano cover of Rey's Theme, memorised entirely by ear:

Just imagine being JJ Abrams hearing this last December. Giddy as a schoolboy!

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

You're right, it's completely irrelevant that the second instrument Williams uses in the entire score for Rey is an extended piano solo, which is exactly what I predicted he would use to accentuate her isolation on Jakku. You are hilarious. :lol:

As a side note, it's cute how you follow me from thread to thread being so censorious. Do you even realise those aforementioned anti-piano posts were satirical from Stefancos and Bloodboal? You must have so much personal fulfilment in your life.

"And today, I put this guy on an internet forum in his place by correcting him that the piano isn't a key instrument in a musical composition from that new Star Wars film!"

Christ, you take yourself far too seriously. 

12 hours ago, Lhokne Mulb said:

So reading that Williams interview...apparently "revivified" is a word.

Williams's musical abilities are matched by his eloquence.

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

The music for the AT-ATs on Hoth must be the most un-Star Wars-ian music ever then. That and Luke and Leia. And the Imperial March and Asteroid Field, of course.

On 1/9/2016 at 9:57 PM, crumbs said:

There is nothing wrong with a piano as a key instrument in any Williams score.

Just go back to STAR WARS and reacquaint yourself with all of the piano parts, contained in that movie.

There are more than you think, or realize, or originally *remember*......

As far as Rey's Theme is concerned, my rewrite will be a combo between french horn and flute, for the lead line.
*************************************************************************************************************************

"I Was Jedi, Before Jedi Was *Cool*."

Orchestral piano parts?  Of course!  But upfront solos, no.  And there still haven't been!  Even the ESB thing isn't exactly a "solo."  No, a solo piano carrying a theme for extended periods, more than once, would be rather un-Star Wars-ian.  Bad?  Maybe, maybe not.  But it would definitely be different.

I always cringe at that moment towards the start of one of the later Potter films where there's a little generic sounding piano diddling.  Yeesh.  It's very easy to go amiss with solo piano in film scoring.

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of musical pairings, I can't help but keep thinking that The Jedi Steps theme would have been just as well suited to an Indiana Jones macguffin, or even a better Secret of the Unicorn replacement. 

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Speaking of musical pairings, I can't help but keep thinking that The Jedi Steps theme would have been just as well suited to an Indiana Jones macguffin, or even a better Secret of the Unicorn replacement. 

That one still leaves me a bit cold, though so does the Unicorn theme.

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

Hey, you're right!

The Royal Scottish National Orchestra under the baton of Richard Kaufman gave the European concert premiere of Rey's Theme at Usher Hall in Edinburgh last night.  There is a video of a complete run through of the piece during rehearsals at the Daily Record website (thanks to Mari for the link).

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/watch-royal-scottish-national-orchestra-7315153#Mszs8E1vSMHkIpDr.97

bowdown

Yes the orchestra is fine but the performance is somewhat slow in that rehearsal recording, which deprives the theme of its energy and effortless flow.

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Hopefully it was just for the rehearsal, to get people accustomed to the music first. Hopefully...

I would imagine so.  You can see the leader of the first violins working out the bowing at the end of the clip and marking her part during the piece.  Also the rehearsal clip is filmed in Glasgow Royal Concert Hall rather than Usher Hall in Edinburgh, suggesting that it was an early read through rather than a final dress rehearsal.  It's still great to see it performed all the way through by a top class orchestra.

2 minutes ago, Omen II said:

I would imagine so.  You can see the leader of the first violins working out the bowing at the end of the clip and marking her part during the piece.  Also the rehearsal clip is filmed in Glasgow Royal Concert Hall rather than Usher Hall in Edinburgh, suggesting that it was an early read through rather than a final dress rehearsal.  It's still great to see it performed all the way through by a top class orchestra.

Indeed. :)

For me, it’s already one of the best Star Wars themes and I immediately loved it, there were no growing time needed for me, so I guess I was lucky :)

I hope it gets great treatment in the next two movies, I think it’s meant to be. Everything just clicked for me with the whole character. Daisy’s youthful enthusiasm with her athleticism, the banter with Finn, the music, it was an overall great experience for me.

I think this is the kind of theme this movie needed, not an overly epic Duel of the Fates type music, so I’m perfectly happy with it.

3 hours ago, SzPeti42 said:

I think this is the kind of theme this movie needed, not an overly epic Duel of the Fates type music, so I’m perfectly happy with it.

I agree with you. The film is fast paced, with characters and situations going one after the other allowing for very few rests in between. I think we could hardly create such a good connection with Rey, as we were able as soon as the first view of the film, without the help from her theme.

That rendition of Rey's Theme towards the beginning of the end credits is undoubtedly the ultimate Williamsgasm of the score.

Though I can't understand why there's what seems to be a slight Horner-esque synth choir or something going on there? Does anyone else hear that? It isn't really prominent and I initially thought it was a sonic artifact.

It's definitely there, and I really like its presence.  It is very un-Williams-like, however.  I'm not sure why he chose to include it when it is not present anywhere else in the score.

1 hour ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

That rendition of Rey's Theme towards the beginning of the end credits is undoubtedly the ultimate Williamsgasm of the score.

It's pretty glorious. I'm very partial to the counterpoint with the Force theme toward the end, too. But my favorite use of the theme remains its introduction in "The Scavenger", though, I think.

Just now, hornist said:

No its not. There are many people in this forum who would done it better. They would have orchestrated it better and would have

put it in the better places. This is JW.FanNetwork 2.0

Eh, Sky38 is the only person who claims that.  

Well it has 2 more movies to develop but it is already complete. 

I don't give much attention to this forum's weight......like 10 years now....