What's on your John Williams Christmas Playlist?

Bespin

Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas!

Here are some Christmas classics from the Maestro.

What are your favorites?

MI0001079589.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

5 - We Wish You a Merry Christmas (from We Wish You A Merry Christmas / Williams, Boston Pops O, 1981)

MI0000945350.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

4 - Parade of the Wooden Soldiers (from Joy To The World / Williams, Boston Pops O, 1992)

3 - Star of Bethlehem (from Joy To The World / Williams, Boston Pops O, 1992)

MI0001081506.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

2 - Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas (from Holiday Pops / Lockhart, Boston Pops O, 1998)

MI0003143620.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1 - Somewhere in My Memory (from A Family Christmas / Bell, Royal Scottish National O & Junior Ch., 2009)

Well, it's not a Christmas score, stricty speaking, but they do have a few tracks specifically for the holiday, as well as being in a general Christmas "mood" (with celeste, bells, chimes, tubular bells etc.).

• 11 months later...
On 20.12.2015 at 1:12 PM, Daniel Clamp said:

Images.

He, he...must have missed that post the first time around. Good one, Daniel!

Beyond the HOME ALONEs, the Boston Pops albums and bits and pieces of HARRY POTTER, there isn't much I can think of.

But I DO have a playlist of Williams' "religious sound" which I love so much, and Christmas obviously has a religious backdrop, so that could be suitable -- even if many of the tracks don't deal with Christmas per se.

Just made a Christmas Playlist using the tracks of the Expanded LLL sets of HA and HA2.

Each has certainly his!

L1T35 - Somewhere In My Memory (3:26)
L2T2 - Holiday Flight (:59)
L2T3 - The House (2:27)

L1T17 - O Holy Night [Film Version] (2:51)
L1T18 - Star Of Bethlehem [Film Version] (3:03)
L1T19 - Carol Of The Bells (1:28)
L1T20 - Setting The Trap (2:31)
L1T30 - Jingle Bells (1:02)
L1T31 - Christmas Carol Medley
L1T32 - Silent Night (Chorus) (1:54)
L1T33 - God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen (Chorus) (1:13)

L2T12 - The Christmas Song (1:44)
L2T13 - Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! (1:15)

L2T14 - Winter Wonderland - Ralph Grierson (1:23)

L2T15 - My Christmas Tree - The Fox Albert Choir (2:38)

L2T16 - Christmas Star (3:23)
L2T17 - Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas (Alternate) (2:46)

20 hours ago, Bespin said:

Wow, I just discovered that Bette Midler recorded a cover of Somewhere in My Memory.

Wow, I mean, beurk!

You find this Track on this Album:

Cover.jpg

On 20.12.2015 at 1:22 PM, Bespin said:

Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas!

Here are some Christmas classics from the Maestro.

What are your favorites?

MI0001079589.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

5 - We Wish You a Merry Christmas (from We Wish You A Merry Christmas / Williams, Boston Pops O, 1981)

MI0000945350.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

4 - Parade of the Wooden Soldiers (from Joy To The World / Williams, Boston Pops O, 1992)

3 - Star of Bethlehem (from Joy To The World / Williams, Boston Pops O, 1992)

MI0001081506.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

2 - Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas (from Holiday Pops / Lockhart, Boston Pops O, 1998)

MI0003143620.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1 - Somewhere in My Memory (from A Family Christmas / Bell, Royal Scottish National O & Junior Ch., 2009)

My John Williams playlist includes the first two albums and the Home Alone scores on pretty steady rotation during the holidays.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Nothing! I never listen to Christmas music 

Do you consider it humbug?

No, not at all.

I rather like Christmas day itself. Having dinner with friends and family, exchanging gifts. That's great.

I however see no reason why retailers have to start selling, promoting and advertising the December holidays MONTHS in advance!

Due to the controversy that is surrounding our Sinterklaas feast recently thankfully they started much later here this year. But last year they started whoring out their wares in August, while it was still summer!

Because of this by the time Christmas actually arrives I'm already sick to the back teeth of it.

In other years:

Hook

Home Alone

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

and a whole bunch of scores by other composers.

This year:

Jurassic Park and The Lost World: Jurassic Park on infinite repeat! :w00t:

3 hours ago, Thor said:

That sounds awfully sad. Any traumatic experience related to Christmas, Stefan?

The worst thing that ever happened to me was on Christmas. Oh, God. It was so horrible. It was Christmas Eve. I was nine years old. Me and mom were decorating the tree, waiting for dad to come home from work. A couple hours went by. Dad wasn't home. So Mom called the office. No answer. Christmas Day came and went, and still nothing. So the police began a search. Four or five days went by. Neither one of us could eat or sleep. Everything was falling apart. It was snowing outside. The house was freezing, so I went to try to light up the fire, and that's when I noticed the smell. The firemen came and broke through the chimney top. And me and mom were expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird. And instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney on Christmas Eve, his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck. Died instantly. And that's how I found out there was no Santa Claus.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Jurassic Park and The Lost World: Jurassic Park on infinite repeat! :w00t:

If they plan to make a Christmas at Jurassic Park movie, I just hope they will ask JW!

40 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No, not at all.

I rather like Christmas day itself. Having dinner with friends and family, exchanging gifts. That's great.

I however see no reason why retailers have to start selling, promoting and advertising the December holidays MONTHS in advance!

Due to the controversy that is surrounding our Sinterklaas feast recently thankfully they started much later here this year. But last year they started whoring out their wares in August, while it was still summer!

Sure, I agree with that. But that doesn't prevent me from enjoying the holiday while it lasts -- even getting into the mood a couple of weeks in advance (through Christmas music or whatever). Your 'Scrooge' comments suggested to me that there was something more serious going on, but glad to hear it wasn't.

• 11 months later...

@MrScratch

There's an instrumental version on this CD :

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « john williams spectacular japan somewhere »

By JW himself, there is Track 29 of CD 1, that's a short version of 1:07 (well the previous is just 1:36 too!).

p_lllcd1374.jpg

Home Alone 25th Anniversary: Limited Edition (1990) (2015, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1374)

CD 1 - THE FILM SCORE: Home Alone (Main Theme); Go Pack Your Suitcase / Introducing Marley / In Good Hands; Banished To The Attic; We Slept In / Hard Count; Making The Plane; The Basement; Target Practice / Sledding On The Stairs; Lights On / Guess Whos Home / Paris Arrival; The Man Of The House / Police Check; The Bookshelf; Phone Machine / Drug Store / Escape Across The Ice; Follow That Kid! [Film Version]; Listening To Carson; Cleaning Clothes / Kitchen; Scammed By A Kindergartner [Film Version]; Somewhere In My Memory (Walking Home) [Film Version]; O Holy Night [Film Version]; Star Of Bethlehem [Film Version]*; Carol Of The Bells; Setting The Trap; The Attack Begins; Marv Enters The Basement / A Hot Hand / Sore Head; Paint Cans; Clothesline Trapeze / Marley To The Rescue; Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas [Film Version]*; The Next Morning / Mom Returns / Finale; We Wish You A Merry Christmas / End Title [Film Version]; ADDITIONAL MUSIC: Star Of Bethlehem [Orchestral Version]; Somewhere In My Memory (Walking Home) [Instrumental]; Jingle Bells; Christmas Carol Medley; Silent Night* (Chorus); God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen* (Chorus); O Holy Night (Alternate Finale); Somewhere In My Memory; CD 2 - THE 1990 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM: Home Alone Main Title (Somewhere In My Memory); Holiday Flight; The House; Star Of Bethlehem [Orchestral Version]; Man Of The House; White Christmas; Scammed By A Kindergartner; Please Come Home For Christmas; Follow That Kid!; Making The Plane; O Holy Night; Carol Of The Bells; Star Of Bethlehem; Setting The Trap; Somewhere In My Memory (Walking Home); The Attack On The House; Mom Returns And Finale; Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas; We Wish You A Merry Christmas / End Title; BONUS TRACKS: Run, Rudolph, Run; Rock And Roll Riff; Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas; Rockin Around The Christmas Tree. *Previously unreleased.

9 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But that's such a short track... And speaking of Home Alone, I just listened to Lockhart's Merry Christmas and my goodness, it lacks energy! He really needs to re-re-record that.

Lockhart version is excellent. It's a classic version. It's a usefull version with a clean beginning. On the scores, it begins with "We Wish you a merry christmas".  You have to do an EDIT to have a clean version.

On The Home alone Christmas compilation album, the JW's version is CLEAN.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « Home alone christmas »

18 minutes ago, Bespin said:

There's an instrumental version on this CD :

By JW himself, there is Track 29 of CD 1, that's a short version of 1:07 (well the previous is just 1:36 too!)

Thanks, yes I do have that.  I meant are there good cover versions of the songs by other artists (like pop bands, singers and vocalists, etc.) 

I would like versions of the Home Along songs by other singers/bands that aren't sung a choir and not performed by an orchestra.

5 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

Thanks, yes I do have that.  I meant are there good cover versions of the songs by other artists (like pop bands, singers and vocalists, etc.) 

I would like versions of the Home Along songs by other singers/bands that aren't sung a choir and not performed by an orchestra.

Pop versions. ggghhhew. :huh:

Like... "that"...?

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

But that's such a short track... And speaking of Home Alone, I just listened to Lockhart's Merry Christmas and my goodness, it lacks energy! He really needs to re-re-record that.

Sorry if this is region locked, but if you haven't heard the Dallas Symphony recording you should.  It's great.

https://open.spotify.com/track/7iSfUEPVZLQ2rVWWo8WvND

EDIT: Spotify embeds aren't working right now?