Rey's Theme flute opening—a Beastie Boys reference?

curlytoot

Someone on Reddit pointed this out:

Thoughts? J.J. is known to be a huge Beastie Boys fan and has included at least one or two other references to them in the film.

If you're implying that JJ Abrams asked John Williams to base a character theme off of a flute recording that was sample and looped in an old Beastie Boys song you're out of your mind

Not implying he asked him to base the theme off of it; the theme itself is very Williamsian and unique. But the short flute ostinato at the very beginning BEFORE the theme, isn't part of the main melody. It easily could have been tacked on as a joke.

I always remember an old Dr Dre track had the raptors motif from the Lost World playing on loop all the way through, never did find out its title though.

Also, somebody linked to a Mahler piece the other day which they'd said the Resistance March was supposedly based on. I lost that though, before I'd had chance to check it out.

If you're implying that JJ Abrams asked John Williams to base a character theme off of a flute recording that was sample and looped in an old Beastie Boys song you're out of your mind

Not implying he asked him to base the theme off of it; the theme itself is very Williamsian and unique. But the short flute ostinato at the very beginning BEFORE the theme, isn't part of the main melody. It easily could have been tacked on as a joke.

A Beastie Boys reference in a STAR WARS movie?

Dude, clean the DRAINO from your crack pipe, before you post again.

Not a chance

This is the original recording BTW (@ 4:30)

Agree with Jay.

Some of you just read too much into everything else, without comparing the charts!

I've posted elsewhere my feelings about the beginning of Rey's theme. It reminds me of the leitmotif of Ennio Morricone's A Fistful of Dollars for the Clint Eastwood character "The Man With No Name" when he would appear on the scene.

10 hours ago, finalscore said:

I've posted elsewhere my feelings about the beginning of Rey's theme. It reminds me of the leitmotif of Ennio Morricone's A Fistful of Dollars for the Clint Eastwood character "The Man With No Name" when he would appear on the scene.

Any link to this music? Would love to listen and compare!

15 hours ago, finalscore said:

It reminds me of JNH's African/primal sound. Dinosaur, Blood Diamond and King Kong.

On 12/21/2015 at 3:38 AM, finalscore said:

Funny you should say that: