The Force Awakens - Complete Score Breakdown & Chronological Order (Film Spoilers Allowed)

Jay

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hmm, you're positive about that?

That is my conclusion from comparing the cue with the Rear channels.

Also parts of The Droid Stole a Freighter, Ren's Rage and Precinct 47 show up in Rey's Vision.

Interesting!  I wasn't able to tell before if it was just microedited or was a different performance in parts.  They really slashed a lot of that whole sequence of the film out for the OST track!

Also it seems part of the music in the Mind Reading scene was tracked from Rey Underground.

The statement of Han Solo and the Princess in Han and Leia seems to also be the one in Bring Him Home.

18 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

that Han's Death alternate cue is absolutely gorgeous. I believe that rising motif at the start plays during the Attack on Jakku Village on the OST. I feel like the Starkiller music shouldn't have been tracked into that moment, the music there really drives home the tragedy more with the straining Force theme and its not as muted. that sort of music serves a melancholic scene like the firing of Starkiller base but not something as significant as the death of Han.

It's not necessarily this music vs. the Starkiller music. Assuming the music for Han's death starts at 1:25 in the clip, the music is about 40 seconds long. The film/album version takes about 30 seconds before going into the Starkiller Reprise. Doesn't quite match, but this clip seems to only cover the beginning of the moment, not Han's body falling away, Leia's reaction, and so forth.

1 hour ago, Faleel said:

Also it seems part of the music in the Mind Reading scene was tracked from Rey Underground.

Or the other way around...

Well you can hear the edit in the Mind Reading scene (0;38 of the second Video in ChewyBombers playlist).

2 hours ago, Henry Buck said:

It's not necessarily this music vs. the Starkiller music. Assuming the music for Han's death starts at 1:25 in the clip, the music is about 40 seconds long. The film/album version takes about 30 seconds before going into the Starkiller Reprise. Doesn't quite match, but this clip seems to only cover the beginning of the moment, not Han's body falling away, Leia's reaction, and so forth.

It's possible there were longer cuts of Han's death scene early in the recording process too. They probably tinkered with the scene right until the end.

Isn't the film version of Han's Death cut down compared to the OST anyway? The strings immediately after the stabbing seem abridged in the film.

I just added 8 new cues to my playlist.

"Escape In The Millenium Falcon" is definitely the same cue as in the OST, the OST version is just cut.

We have the proof that the "2 note motif" is associated to BB-8, you can hear it at 0:40 of "Tasu Leech" when he's saying that the First Order is looking for a droid.

"You're Han Solo" is definitely a great cue, without so much noise.

I'm starting to think that the "Snoke" track on the OST isn't a concert arrangement at all since you can hear it in the second part of "Bring Her To Me" in the film.

I'm also surprised about the amount of tracked music in this film, it's everywhere!

9 hours ago, Bill said:

:07-:20 of "You Need A Pilot" has a musical idea that sounds similar to what plays in the film at the moment Ren kills Han and the string stuff heard on the OST track "Snoke" (this is one I think is almost certainly coincidental because I can't imagine what the thematic link could be from "You Need A Pilot" to those two other cues)

This makes me think of the beginning of "Red Rackam's Curse" from Tintin OST :D

9 hours ago, Bill said:

2:30-end of "Bring Him Home" and :05-:38 of "Group Enters Base" share the same melody. 

Yeah it's definitely associated with Starkiller assault.

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Weirdly I didn't notice much tracked music when re-watching the film last week. 

Here are some examples (maybe I'm wrong but I just noticed a lot of similarities):

"Submit Your Blaster For Inspection" 0:33-end tracked from "The Attack On The Jakku Village Part 1" (FYC) at 1:50

"Escape Now, Hug Later" 0:00-0:13 tracked from "That Girl With The Staff" (OST) at 0:20

"Escape in the Millenium Falcon" 0:00-0:06 tracked from "The Rathtars" (FYC) at 0:00

There are three notes edited out of Han and Leia right between the Harp bit and the Solo and the Princess strings

On 4/2/2016 at 6:19 PM, Bill said:

Unless otherwise noted, the timestamps and titles refer to the YouTube videos posted by ChewyBomber. 

:20-:27 of "Preparing For Assault" and :17-:20, :24-:27, and :50-:53 of the "BIG unknown Unused Cue/Alternate" (that "BIG alternate" as posted by Faleel) share a melody. 

I noticed that no one has commented on this bit of my post. I found Williams's use of this melody intriguing. I believe that as far as we know, those two cues mentioned in the quoted post are the only ones that contain that melody (it's possible there is another appearance of the melody that I have forgotten about). It's first heard in the scene in which the Resistance members are at their base discussing the plan to destroy Starkiller Base, shortly before Han departs for Starkiller Base, and is later heard in what is believed to be an alternate for the scene where Han walks onto the bridge and is killed by Ren. Is this melody a motif that represents something? Or is this just clever musical foreshadowing from Williams? Or just a coincidence? I have to wonder whether the melody was heard more in earlier versions of cues that were replaced in the final film, alternate cues that we have never heard. 

The "X-Wings Prepare for Lightspeed" and "Kylo Ren Searches the Falcon" Deleted Scenes both use music that was edited out of "The Bombing Run".

7 hours ago, Bill said:

I noticed that no one has commented on this bit of my post. I found Williams's use of this melody intriguing. I believe that as far as we know, those two cues mentioned in the quoted post are the only ones that contain that melody (it's possible there is another appearance of the melody that I have forgotten about). It's first heard in the scene in which the Resistance members are at their base discussing the plan to destroy Starkiller Base, shortly before Han departs for Starkiller Base, and is later heard in what is believed to be an alternate for the scene where Han walks onto the bridge and is killed by Ren. Is this melody a motif that represents something? Or is this just clever musical foreshadowing from Williams? Or just a coincidence? I have to wonder whether the melody was heard more in earlier versions of cues that were replaced in the final film, alternate cues that we have never heard. 

Nice found! I'm pretty sure Mr. Big is right, it has something to do with the First Order.

On 4/2/2016 at 9:06 PM, Taikomochi said:

In the latter video, I believe the few seconds after 1:09 are in the film version of Torn Apart as heard on the FYC, so I'd guess the latter half or so of that track is an alternate for Torn Apart.

Interestingly enought, the bit in Torn Apart, and the BIG Alternate, are different pitch.

2 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Perhaps sped up/slowed down?  I didn't compare them closely;  They just sounded the same to me.

Oh they are definitely the same.

It's funny, we have a bunch of bits of the original Jakku Village sequence, but no Idea how they fit together.

We have:

The bits in the 60 minutes videos.

A bit in the ILM doc that may be an alternate for the bit of the Map motif right after the Stormtroopers on the carrier music

The March from the Secrets of TFA doc.

The action music (that bit that goes into the bit we got from the FYC) from Secrets of TFA

The bit from the ILM featurette

The bit that comes after the big Kylo Ren statement from the Secrets of TFA doc.

A bit of an alternate ending of Kill Them All

The album version of The Attack on Jakku is just so good. The FYC version is great as well but the OST version is snappier and has some lush strings missing from the FYC version. After my first few listens I liked The Attack on Jakku for its energy and sonic quality, but felt it was a bit formless. But now, the pace and quick changes just work beautifully to create a powerful, engaging action cue. 

2 minutes ago, Faleel said:

As in, placed over footage? (because the audio is already in my "Big Alternate"' video.)

Is that a YouTube video? For me it plays like a google drive video but I don't see the option to add it to playlists or like or share or stuff like that. 

The main documentary - "The Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey" - is in 5.1.  Every single other special feature, including the deleted scenes and menus - are only in 2.0.

Has anyone compared the theatrical end credits to the Blu-ray end credits yet?  The credits are almost 3 minutes longer on the BD.  I know "Scherzo for X-Wings" was added after Rey's theme.  I wonder what credits were added though, 3 minutes is a lot of names to add.

4 minutes ago, rolltide1017 said:

Has anyone compared the theatrical end credits to the Blu-ray end credits yet?  The credits are almost 3 minutes longer on the BD.  I know "Scherzo for X-Wings" was added after Rey's theme.  I wonder what credits were added though, 3 minutes is a lot of names to add.

Possibly dumb question, but are the credits the same between the BD and digital versions? I would assume yes, but has anyone verified?

Well, I should have been more clear, I bought the BD today but, I'm watching the digital version at work right now.  The credits are longer on the digital version so yes, I think they are the same.

17 hours ago, Faleel said:

Here is an unknown quiet cue that uses flute and clarinet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9ZG41dVRqaVlhLWs/view?usp=sharing

This one sounds a bit different from the rest of the score.  I wonder what scene it was supposed to accompany.  

I am thinking it is for something early in the film, perhaps for either Han and Rey, or Maz Kanata.

Also I went through the Target exclusive featurettes and found some interesting stuff.

Oh, the very beginning of the BIG alternate video, is used in "I Will Show You The Dark Side/Lor San Tekka and Kylo Ren"

Target Exclusive updates:

The full unedited Han and Leia portion of the Finn and Poe, United (Alternate), but in lower quality.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9aDI0aC1IYWtMY3c/view?usp=sharing

Another Unknown Cue (perhaps alternate Jedi Steps?)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9cFd2bUp5cmVCUU0/view?usp=sharing

More of the Pizzicato Finn/Action Motif

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9Zi1iVXU1X3c5VzA/view?usp=sharing

Unknown action cue:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9TDFMWXNOZjF6bUU/view?usp=sharing

Alternate "I Will Show You The Dark Side"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9dFVDSjFmVmxZaVU/view?usp=sharing

Fuller Unknown March

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9cEg3TElmWGdUdW8/view?usp=sharing