The Force Awakens - Complete Score Breakdown & Chronological Order (Film Spoilers Allowed)

Jay

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I liked Seth MacFarlane when I was a young teen as well so I won't judge you too harshly ;)

He's somebody I clearly have a lot in common with, judging by his love of film scores and science education (like Cosmos), but I think I grew out of liking him as an entertainer.

I like him.  Family Guy occasionally gets a cheap laugh or two out of me and he has good taste in film music.  That's enough for me.  

Wow. I never realized until Disco Stu mentioned it that MacFarlane was into great orchestral film scores! Cool! I knew he liked Sinatra and big bands of course. 

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh yeah, I mean he was a speaker at Williams' AFI Award ceremony last year.

Oh right I kind of remember that now. This article I just found is great:

http://projectorandorchestra.com/scoring-the-cosmos-a-conversation-with-alan-silvestri-and-seth-macfarlane/

MacFarlane has some views on film scores that I'm sure a lot of people here would heartily agree with! A true fan. 

I've never watched Family Guy or Ted so I don't really know MacFarlane as an actor -- mostly as a musician (which, it seems, is something that happened later; he made his money off animation and acting and then did personal projects he'd always wanted to do and, I would presume, finally had the means to do). 

Haha love those, thanks for pointing them out @Jay

In terms of MacFarlane -- any Williams fan is a cool person IMO. That's really all that needs to be said. :lol:

33 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Try www.mgfan.com

I hear they're breaking down the score note by note :P

(warning: I have not actually tried that URL and cannot be held responsible for what it may lead to)

LOL it's some Japanese site, which seems to be about lectures on job training, or something along those lines. (Google Translate was my friend.) 

:lol:

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's a Japanese Michael Giacchino fansite!

Yes! The job training lectures they give are for learning Giacchino's techniques so they can write pastiche scores! Some Japanese person is the next Michael Giacchino who is the next John Williams!

Seriously though. Some people had to wait for 16 years before any new music from Star Wars was released. And 20 years before they had all of it.

The OST of TFA was released just over a year ago. A FYC promo with a substantial amount of unreleased music about a week after that.

We have nothing to complain about.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Seriously though. Some people had to wait for 16 years before any new music from Star Wars was released. And 20 years before they had all of it.

The OST of TFA was released just over a year ago. A FYC promo with a substantial amount of unreleased music about a week after that.

We have nothing to complain about.

Indeed.

Entitled and spoiled generation is entitled and spoiled!

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

How dare you!

I was joking (I assume you realized that but just to be clear). :P

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

In-fucking-deed!

Waiting years and years for unreleased music to finally be given an official release makes you enjoy it a lot more than if you had it a few months after the film's release!

I've come to quickly realise that as we get more and more sessions leak just a few months after a film's release. You don't even get the chance to say "Oh, I so wish that bit had been release" that you can already get it! Of course, kids could never understand that.

Remember a time when we had to wait like a year for a film to be given a home video release? Ah, those were the times...

I actually think about this sometimes. There are all these expanded releases coming out but they don't make me as excited as they should ... because in many cases I've barely heard the score at all! I don't have any "grails." I'm not familiar with the scores. I wasn't around when they came out, and just became a fan recently. 

So the only expansions that I think I would really get through-the-roof excited about are TFA and The BFG, simply because I'm most familiar with those scores since I was a fan when they came out. That's not to say I don't appreciate other expansions a lot, but it's just not quite the same. 

Sometimes I feel like I actually kind of missed out on the "fun" of waiting decades for extra Lost World music, extra SW music, etc. Of course, many would say they'd love to have that problem, I'm sure!

I would not call it fun perse, but it's certainly more special to hear new music after you have lived with a score for years or decades.

We live in a disposable culture. You buy an iPhone for 800 bucks, 2 years later it's redundant and you get rid of it.

I tend to not think of Williams' music like that. And actually like the idea that 20 years from now we might still be getting unreleased music.

Just now, Stefancos said:

I would not call it fun perse, but it's certainly more special to hear new music after you have lived with a score for years or decades.

But just the experience of discussing the cues you want and searching for information on them can be a little like a treasure hunt, which is kind of fun, at least in my limited experience. 

17 hours ago, Will said:

There are all these expanded releases coming out but they don't make me as excited as they should ... because in many cases I've barely heard the score at all! I don't have any "grails."

I haven't really thought about this before, but I feel like my last grail was released this December. When I got into film music, we didn't have releases like HookBack to the FutureConan the Barbarian and The Lost World . Heck, even stuff like the LotR Complete Recordings were a distant dream. Not to mention the frequent session leaks that we're seeing these days. I sometimes feel like I've become saturated by the amount of music available and it takes something really big to get me into buying soundtracks again (like last year's Back to the Future trilogy or this year's Jurassic Park collection).

Maybe I should make a new wishlist.

Something just becomes less holy if there's a complete sessions leak out there.

Can you imagine if we were still listening to only the original soundtrack album of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and a complete score release was announced tomorrow? Or if the Star Wars video games hadn't used all that unreleased prequel music and we were still listening to the albums with the incomplete Battle of Coruscant and that glorious fanfare from It Can't Be never coming to its resolution and we'd still be wanting that music?

I remember recording Jurassic Park off a VHS copy onto a cassette, complete with dialogue and sound effects, just to listen to the music. I knew a CD must be out there, but local stores just didn't have it and there was no online shopping to get it. And DVD wasn't even around, so no ripping the rear channels either. You just had to make do with the stereo mixdown. 

Jesus Christ. I'm fucking old.

Yeah I actually tried to record the end credits from JP that way back in the day. Didn't succeed very well with my tape recorder though. Those were happy innocent times.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Ah, yes, putting the tape recorder near the TV speakers to get the music... The good old days!

We had a cassette deck hooked up to the VHS to record directly from the source.

Ha!

Our first DVD player had the option to switch the audio output between 2Ch and 5.1Ch. We didn't have surround, but if you set the player to 5.1Ch, it would send only the front left and right channels to the TV speakers via the SCART cable.

I used to play the LotR movies that way to be able to listen to the full thing, even though that still meant listening through many sound effects, volume changes and some (brief) stretches without any score.