The Force Awakens - Complete Score Breakdown & Chronological Order (Film Spoilers Allowed)

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

People are welcome to share files with each other, we have a PM system and everything.  You just can't post links to illegal downloads on the public forum.

There's a forum called the FFShrine that lets you illegally download stuff to your heart's content

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@Jay The ‘Art of the Score’ mentioned JW’s titles for a few cues—

The Resistance → Good Guys Shooting (I believe, but I am not sure, this is just the first part with the Resistance Theme not the part with Poe’s Theme)

The Starkiller → Sunbeam Strings

• 1 month later...

Can't imagine it's anything except the film's original opening. It was seemingly abandoned quite late in post-production, so it makes total sense Williams recorded it. Although unlike TLJ, we never got to see TFA's alternate opening.

Other hand-related type scenes are clearly other cue titles like Rey Catches Sword.

Possible. That's one of about a half dozen missing cues from that list, not to mention all the concert suites. Plus there's alternates we know exist that aren't listed at all, such as Han's Death or the original Finn Fight (seeing as an alternate is listed!)

I've assembled a chronological list. Will post in the morning. I couldn't place Hey! or Who's Luke Skywalker. The former is too vague and there's no scene featuring dialogue that reflects the latter (unless it's a code title for Jedi Steps). Everyone in the film is aware of who Luke is.

32 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I've assembled a chronological list. Will post in the morning. I couldn't place Hey! or Who's Luke Skywalker. The former is too vague and there's no scene featuring dialogue that reflects the latter (unless it's a code title for Jedi Steps). Everyone in the film is aware of who Luke is.

There are a lot of occurrences of “Hey!” in the script, but what came to my mind was when Finn and Rey first meet (when she knocks him down).

"Who's Luke Skywalker" - hm, maybe Rey’s "Luke Skywalker? I thought he was a myth."

7 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

There are a lot of occurrences of “Hey!” in the script, but what came to my mind was when Finn and Rey first meet (when she knocks him down).

That exact moment is unscored, with the immediately preceding cue being That Lady with the Stick (first half of That Girl with the Staff on the OST) and following cue being Follow Me.

7 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

"Who's Luke Skywalker" - hm, maybe Rey’s "Luke Skywalker? I thought he was a myth."

Was my first thought as well but that scene is already covered by the cue Follow Me.

Latter scenes mentioning Luke are covered by Map Scene and You're Han Solo! I think I Have to Get Back covers the Maz and Rey chat in the cellar. Maybe it's some deleted dialogue from the very opening scene in the tent? 

Just found another title in the MACP repertoire! (It's really awkward to search there, so there may be even more that are yet to be discovered)

R-2 in Hibernation

That's got to be the cue before Parental Discussion and after Finn and Poe United. 

I thought that scene might have been the cue titled Leia, C3PO & R2 (with the Leia dialogue potentially cut out in the final movie) but maybe that cue belongs to a deleted scene instead? 

• 3 weeks later...

I've found the cue titles in a different repertoire (SACM), and they're somewhat sorted:

Spoiler

Finale

End Credits

Jabba Flow

The Resistance March

Starry Night

Fix

No Title

Hand Opening

I've Seen Too Much

The Beam is Released

The Attack on the Village

Guns Ablaze

The Arrival of Kylo Ren

The First Order Approaches

The Control Room and Ren in the Forest

Landing

Fix on Fix

One Quarter Portion/Lunchtime

Finding the Map

Don't Follow Me

Kylo Stalks Rey

What's Your Name?

Finn Helps Poe

The First Escape

Finn's Trek

That Lady with the Stick

Who's Luke Skywalker

The Falcon Still Flies!

Kylo Arrives at Battle

Kylo and His Sword

Hiding Under the Grate

You're Han Solo?

Rathtars Appear

The Rathtar Attack

Old Falcon to the Rescue

Starkiller

We See Ren

The Map Scene

Green Planet

Gotta Name?

You Got a Name?

I've Found the Droid

Talking with Grandfather

Dobra Doompa

Maz on the Table

I Ran Into You

Into the Cellar

Finn Fight Alt

Poe Under Torture

Rey's Dream

Kylo's Rage

I Have to Get Back

Rey Vs. Ren

Sunbeam Strings

Find Rey!

Good Guys Shooting

We've Got What We Needed

The Abduction of Rey

Han and Leia Reunion

Finn and Poe, United

R2 in Hybernation

Leia, C-3P0, and R2

Parental Discussion

Bring Her to Me

You Will Remove These Restraints

Preparing for the Mission

Ren in Cockpit

Ice Landing

Hey!

Rey's Rope Climb

Rey on Wall

To Lightspeed

The Bombing Run

Hug Later

Shootout

I Can Get Us In

Leia Fix

Rey Catches Sword

Blowing Up the Oscillator

Light in the Snow and Flying Home

Flying Home

BB and Rey

The Complete Map

To Ending

Rey's Theme

Based on that, I've attempted a chronological sorting:

Spoiler

Starry Night
Fix
No Title

Hand Opening
I've Seen Too Much
Attack on the Village

Guns Ablaze
The Arrival of Kylo Ren
The First Order Approaches
Landing
Poe Under Torture
Rey's Rope Climb
One Quarter Portion/Lunchtime
Don't Follow Me
Poe Under Torture

Finn Helps Poe
What's Your Name?

The First Escape
Finn's Trek
Who's Luke Skywalker

Follow Me

The Falcon Still Flies!
That Lady with the Stick

Hiding Under the Grate
You're Han Solo?
Rathtars Appear
The Rathtar Attack

Old Falcon to the Rescue

Bring Her to Me

The Map Scene

Green Planet

You Got a Name?

Jabba Flow

I've Found the Droid
Talking with Grandfather

Dobra Doompa
Maz on the Table
I Ran Into You
Into the Cellar
Rey's Dream
I Have to Get Back
Beam is Released - PLACEMENT UNCERTAIN
Sunbeam Strings

Find Rey!
Kylo Arrives at Battle
Good Guys Shooting
Finn Fight

We've Got What We Needed
The Abduction of Rey
6m50 Han and Leia Reunion
Finn and Poe United
R-2 in Hybernation

Leia, C-3P0, and R2
Parental Discussion

Starkiller

We See Ren

Bring Her to Me

You Will Remove These Restraints

Kylo's Rage

I Can Get Us In
Preparing for the Mission

Leia Fix
6m57B Ice Landing

Rey on Wall
To Lightspeed
Ren in Cockpit - I'm sure there's a deleted scene of Kylo in the Falcon cockpit that would go here.
The Bombing Run
Hug Later

Shootout

The Control Room and Ren in the Forest
Rey Catches Sword
Blowing up the Oscillator
Rey vs Ren
Light in the Snow and Flying Home
Leia, C-3P0, and R-2
The Complete Map
Climbing the Mountain

Finale

End Credits

10 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

@crumbs Will you post your chronological list?

Potential alternates highlighted in yellow. Missing cues from the cue list highlighted in pink.

• Hand Opening (Alternate opening?)
  • Starry Night
  • First Order Approaches
  • Finding the Map
  • Attack on the Village
  • Arrival of Kylo Ren
  • Guns Ablaze
  • **Missing cue title for Finn removing helmet scene**
  • Rey's Rope Climb
  • One Quarter Portion/Lunchtime
  • BB and Rey
  • Don't Follow Me (alternate BB and Rey)
  • Poe Under Torture
  • Finn Helps Poe
  • First Escape
  • Finn's Trek
  • **Missing cue title for (possibly tracked) music during Hux/Ren disagreement over Snoke’s orders**
  • That Lady with the Stick (first half That Girl with the Staff on OST)
  • Follow Me
  • Falcon Still Flies!
  • What's Your Name?
  • Kylo's Rage (second half That Girl with the Staff on OST)
  • **Missing cue title for Han introductory scene (first half of The Rathtars! on OST)**
  • You're Han Solo?
  • Rathtars Appear
  • Hiding Under the Grate
  • Rathtar Attack
  • To Lightspeed
  • **Missing cue title for first Snoke scene cue**
  • Map Scene
  • Green Planet
  • You Got a Name?
  • Gotta Name? (Alternate You Got a Name?)
  • I've Found the Droid
  • Talking with Grandfather
  • Maz on the Table
  • I Ran Into You
  • Into the Cellar
  • Rey's Dream
  • I Have to Get Back
  • **Missing cue title for unused Hux Speech cue**
  • Sunbeam Strings
  • Kylo Arrives at Battle
  • Finn Fight Alt (unused… alternate…? Multiple versions?)
  • Good Guys Shooting
  • Kylo Stalks Rey
  • Abduction of Rey
  • We've Got What We Need (alternate The Abuction?)
  • Han and Leia Reunion
  • Leia Fix (alternate orchestration for Han and Leia Reunion?)
  • Finn and Poe United
  • Leia, C-3P0, and R2 (not sure why Leia is in this cue title? Deleted scene?)
  • Parental Discussion
  • We See Ren
  • Bring Her to Me
  • You Will Remove These Restraints
  • Beam is Released (poorly titled cue for ‘charging’ sequence? Or alternate Sunbeam Strings?)
  • Council Meeting
  • Preparing for the Mission
  • Find Rey!
  • Ice Landing
  • Climbing the Mountain
  • Rey on Wall
  • Ren in Cockpit (deleted scene)
  • Bombing Run
  • Hug Later
  • Shootout
  • Kylo and His Sword
  • Control Room and Ren in the Forest
  • Rey Catches Sword
  • Blowing up the Oscillator
  • Rey vs Ren
  • **Missing cue title for evacuation of Starkiller sequence/Rey finds Finn**
  • Light in the Snow and Flying Home
  • Flying Home (alternate, partially heard in Disney theme park video)
  • Old Falcon to the Rescue (second alternate to Light in the Snow?)
  • Complete Map
  • To Ending
  • **Missing cue title for Jedi Steps

Cues I couldn't sort due to vague titles:

• Fix (unknown)
  • Fix on Fix (unknown)
  • Landing (potential alternate of Ice Landing, Green Planet or First Order Approaches)
  • Hey! (no idea?)
  • I Can Get Us In (alternate of Council Meeting? ‘Council Meeting’ may actually be first Snoke cue?)
  • Who's Luke Skywalker? (cue title for Jedi Steps?)

Other cues we know were recorded that weren't in the cue list:

• Scherzo for X-Wings (listed in the cue list)
  • The Jedi Steps (concert version)
  • End Credits (credits suite)
  • March of the Resistance
  • Rey’s Theme
  • Rey's Theme (early shorter version)

• Main Title
  • Finn Fight Original?

If I get around to it, I'll put these into a spreadsheet and detail what scenes they accompany and also whether they appear on the OST, FYC or Lego sources.

6 hours ago, CGCJ said:

I've found the cue titles in a different repertoire (SACM), and they're somewhat sorted:

Reveal hidden contents

Based on that, I've attempted a chronological sorting:

Reveal hidden contents

Interesting! A bunch of new cue titles there that I didn't have for my list. That should plug a few gaps!

1 hour ago, Falafel said:

Isn't "hiding under  grate" the Han intro scene? Finn and Rey hide under  that grate.

That's where it is in the SACM list, which is somewhat sorted, so it's likely indeed that cue. That does mean the 'Kanjiklub' cue's title isn't available, though, unless it is a part of "Rathars Appear". (Although there isn't any music for the Rathtar's actual appearance in the final film. Could it have been partially dialed out?)

From what I have discovered, the Jedi Steps concert version was indeed composed in 2015 (the Hal Leonard website listed it as part of its score in December 2015). However, I have seen no evidence that it was recorded then. Happy to be educated otherwise.

6 hours ago, Falafel said:

Isn't "hiding under  grate" the Han intro scene? Finn and Rey hide under  that grate. 

Maybe! It could fit two scenes. The Han Solo entrance (which I thought was missing) or the pre-Rathtars scene when Rey and Finn are crawling around under the floor (which we believe had alternates, as heard in the bonus features music). Depends what Rathtars Appear and Rathtar Attack cover.

6 hours ago, CGCJ said:

That's where it is in the SACM list, which is somewhat sorted, so it's likely indeed that cue. That does mean the 'Kanjiklub' cue's title isn't available, though, unless it is a part of "Rathars Appear". (Although there isn't any music for the Rathtar's actual appearance in the final film. Could it have been partially dialed out?)

Knowing Abrams, Williams probably wrote 4 versions then they just dialled it out anyway. 😂

4 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

From what I have discovered, the Jedi Steps concert version was indeed composed in 2015 (the Hal Leonard website listed it as part of its score in December 2015). However, I have seen no evidence that it was recorded then. Happy to be educated otherwise.

I'm certain that we found a listing entitled The Jedi Steps in one of these TFA music databases under Utapau music. We now know the likely film cue titles for these cues are Climbing the Mountain and Finale. Any database listing for the OST track would be entitled The Jedi Steps and Finale, not The Jedi Steps.

But yeah, ultimately we have no confirmation one way or another, just that there was a database entry entitled The Jedi Steps alongside lots of TFA cues recorded during the sessions. Considering just how much music Williams recorded in 2015, nothing would surprise me.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm certain that we found a listing entitled The Jedi Steps in one of these TFA music databases under Utapau music. We now know the likely film cue titles for these cues are Climbing the Mountain and Finale. Any database listing for the OST track would be entitled The Jedi Steps and Finale, not The Jedi Steps.

Just double checked and most of the music databases/repertoires I know of have separate entries for The Jedi steps, The Jedi Steps (Concert Version), and The Jedi Steps and Finale. Also, there's separate entries for Finale (Star Wars: The Force Awakens), End Credits 1 (Star Wars: The Force Awakens), and End Credits 2 (Star Wars: The Force Awakens). There's also It Is You and Star Wars VII Custom Teaser both credited to Williams under Utapau music, which are titles I previously missed. These are all registered separately from the main bulk of the cues but could still be original titles.

3 minutes ago, Falafel said:

Well, the title could refer to the Lockhart recording.

It was there long before Lockhart recorded it. And I don't think a subsequent re-recording would go into that database. Isn't it more for union purposes about the author of the piece and the orchestra that performed it during the scoring sessions? 

21 minutes ago, Demodex said:

I just asked in another thread if there was a Jedi Steps concert arrangement. If one exists is there a link to it anywhere?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 9:00 PM, Demodex said:

I just asked in another thread if there was a Jedi Steps concert arrangement. If one exists is there a link to it anywhere?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26506-jedi-steps-the-concert-arrangement-version/

5 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

Little late here, but Abrams has stated that "Who's Luke Skywalker?" was a line from Rey when she meets Finn that was reshot and replaced with "Luke Skywalker, I thought he was a myth."

Oh brilliant, that's gotta be what scene that cue is for then, neat!

20 hours ago, crumbs said:

Solves that mystery, except wouldn't that cue fall under Follow Me? Maybe the OST track is comprised of two shorter cues (Who's Luke Skywalker and Follow Me). 

Or it wasn't used at all, and replaced with Follow Me.

• 1 month later...

I was re-uploading some unreleased music from TFA today, and I found something slightly interesting. I accidentally uploaded 2 cues that contain officially-released material; I went into the "copyright claims" page just to see what they were. What I found was that instead of "Walt Disney Records", they were attributed to "Hollywood Records", which I've never seen before in any of my copyright claims. On top of that, both cues had different names attached to them, such as "The Reunion of Han and Leia", which isn't the title on the OST or the FYC. Just thought it was a little festinating.

v1.jpg