The Force Awakens - Complete Score Breakdown & Chronological Order (Film Spoilers Allowed)

Jay

After doing some Wikipedia research, they appear to be a subsidiary of WDR that specializes in popular music (not film or orchestra music). No idea what that's about but I suppose it doesn't really matter.

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

How about some original cue titles and numbers?

Wow! Thank you so much for these!

Now we're only missing the reel/part numbers for these cues:

Spoiler

Hand Opening
The Beam is Released
Guns Ablaze
The First Order Approaches
Poe Under Torture
Fix on Fix
Rey's Rope Climb
One Quarter Portion/Lunchtime
Finding the Map
Don't Follow Me
BB and Rey
Finn Helps Poe
The First Escape
Finn's Trek
That Lady with the Stick
Who's Luke Skywalker
The Falcon Still Flies!
What's Your Name?
Kylo and His Sword
Hiding Under the Grate
You're Han Solo?
Rathtars Appear
The Rathtar Attack
Old Falcon to the Rescue
Starkiller
The Map Scene
Green Planet
Gotta Name?
You Got a Name?
Jabba Flow
I've Found the Droid
Talking with Grandfather
Dobra Doompa
Maz on the Table
I Ran Into You
Into the Cellar
Rey's Dream
I Have to Get Back
Sunbeam Strings
Kylo Arrives at Battle
Good Guys Shooting
Finn Fight Alt
Finn and Poe, United
R-2 in Hybernation
Leia, C-3P0, and R2
Parental Discussion
We See Ren
Bring Her to Me
You Will Remove These Restraints
Kylo's Rage
I Can Get Us In
Preparing for the Mission
Hey!
Rey on Wall
To Lightspeed
Ren in Cockpit
The Bombing Run
Hug Later
Shootout
Blowing Up the Oscillator
Light in the Snow and Flying Home
Flying Home
The Complete Map
To Ending

Also, here's two cues we already had the reel/part numbers for that are missing from your list:
6m50 Han and Leia Reunion
6m57B Ice Landing

On 8/13/2018 at 10:00 AM, crumbs said:

Plus there's alternates we know exist that aren't listed at all, such as Han's Death or the original Finn Fight (seeing as an alternate is listed!)

@crumbs So, both Han's death versions are called 'Father and Son', 7M65.

1 hour ago, CGCJ said:

Also, here's two cues we already had the reel/part numbers for that are missing from your list:
6m50 Han and Leia Reunion
6m57B Ice Landing

Thanks! I’ve updated to add them to the list above.

Cool!

Looking over these cue listings again really has me going crazy for CR releases of these new Star Wars scores! Of course, I would expect it to be a while before anyone gets to it though. 

14 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

@Jay How about some original cue titles and numbers?

What is the source of your information?

16 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

1M2A (fix) - [no title]

1M3B R - The Attack On The Village 

1M3C - I've Seen Too Much

1M3D - The Attack On The Village

Interestingly, that line "I've seen too much" should theoretically be placed long before the attack begins. At the very least, it should be 1M3A or 1M2B. Really makes you wonder how much this film changed during post-production, clearly a lot.

Maybe the Attack on the Village revision was renamed 1M3B in the cue list, due to edit changes bringing that scene forward earlier than where Williams had originally scored it (1M3D).

A session leak for this score would be unbelievable...

Oh yeah, I've Seen Too Much is a line definetly spoken by Lor-San Tekka to Poe over the Starry Night cue, I'm sure of that. 

Looking back on that cue list, what does the Hand Opening cue refer to? 

19 minutes ago, crumbs said:

A session leak for this score would be unbelievable...

While a sessions leak would be awesome because we get to hear all recorded music clean, I'd very much prefer a CR set properly done. I mean, in the case of Rogue One, for example, I'm shocked that the complete score hasn't leaked because Giacchino's music almost always does soon enough. If it were to happen I'd take it for what it is and be fine with it (the best parts of RO are on the FYC or are unreleased anyways!). But for TFA I'd definitely want something proper and official. Even for TLJ, in whose case we can listen to all the music clean (save for possible alternates and the deleted scenes) I'd still really feel better about it if it was released officially. 

Of course, neither of these are very likely to happen soon it seems. None of the new Star Wars scores have leaked at all, so I'd expect the likelihood to be very low (especially if Giacchino's hasn't even gotten through), and I'd also expect it to be years before someone bothers to release a complete score set.  

Also, don't conductors for Live-to-Projection concerts of The Force Awakens get a copy of the recording sessions to listen to?

17 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

7M67A - Rey vs. Ren

7M67B F - Rey Catches Sword

Is it not the other way around? 

17 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

7M65 - Father And Son [the original, unused version]

7M65B - Father and Son [the revised version on the soundtrack and in the film]

7M65C - Leia Fix

Is Leia fix the Han Solo and the Princess statement in Torn Apart? 

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Also, don't conductors for Live-to-Projection concerts of The Force Awakens get a copy of the recording sessions to listen to?

Nah, it'd be a copy of the exact music they'd be playing, IE only what exists in the final cut of the film pretty much

They basically get an isolated score of the film's music track.

The written score provided for the LTP concerts appears pretty comprehensive, actually providing cue titles and slates. It's surprising after two years of concerts that no cue slate list (for the edited film score anyway) has leaked. There must be thousands, if not tens of thousands of people who've had access to it through these performances worldwide. Bah! 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Nah, it'd be a copy of the exact music they'd be playing, IE only what exists in the final cut of the film pretty much

Sorry, yeah. That's what I had meant- the score in the film and not including alternates and extras. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

What is the source of your information?

There's a leak of some of the original sheets.

2 hours ago, Smaug the iron said:

Is it not the other way around? 

That would make sense to me, but that's not what it is. Guess the numbering changed with all the revisions?

2 hours ago, Smaug the iron said:

Is Leia fix the Han Solo and the Princess statement in Torn Apart? 

It is from Torn Apart, but in the finished film anyway, it's actually the music that starts immediately after Leia's reaction shot after Han's death, when it cuts back to Chewbacca.

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Looking back on that cue list, what does the Hand Opening cue refer to? 

I believe that's referring to the original opening of the movie from the shooting script. In it, after the opening scroll, the camera would pan down to reveal the severed hand of Luke Skywalker, still clutching his lightsaber, as it floated through space miles above a planet. Here's Mark Hamill's description of it:

I can tell you now that in the original opening shot of 7, the first thing that came into frame was a hand with a lightsaber, a severed hand that enters the atmosphere, and then the hand and bone burns away and goes sticking into the surface of Jakku. And this alien hand comes in, don’t know if it was Maz but it was an alien hand who takes the light saber way, and then the movie proceeds as you see it.

2 hours ago, Oozer said:

I believe that's referring to the original opening of the movie from the shooting script. In it, after the opening scroll, the camera would pan down to reveal the severed hand of Luke Skywalker, still clutching his lightsaber, as it floated through space miles above a planet. Here's Mark Hamill's description of it:

Oh cool! I hadn't heard about that before. 

I wonder how late in production that would've been cut from the film if Williams had something written and recorded already. 

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm positive that "Hand Opening" is the soft opening we hear in the 60 Minutes interview (also a small snippet of that is on the OST).

Which track on the OST are you referring to? Timestamp?

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Which track on the OST are you referring to? Timestamp?

Track 1, 3:00 to 3:08. Most of the cue can be heard on the 60 Minutes interview; it's the first piece of music at the beginning.

Considering the sessions in the 60 Minutes video were early/mid November (surely one of the film's final scoring sessions?) it's pretty incredible how many things weren't even used in the final film.

And that's just from one session!

18 hours ago, crumbs said:

Considering the sessions in the 60 Minutes video were early/mid November (surely one of the film's final scoring sessions?) it's pretty incredible how many things weren't even used in the final film.

And that's just from one session!

They likely filmed the episode of 60 Minutes months before it aired, as they usually do.

Now give us a second concert suite for TLJ already... Only one concert suite that combines two unrelated themes? That's basically John flipping off Rian, very subtly.

59 minutes ago, Drew said:

Now give us a second concert suite for TLJ already... Only one concert suite that combines two unrelated themes? That's basically John flipping off Rian, very subtly.

Geez, I'd hate to imagine what he thinks of George Lucas then, considering the two successive prequels with only one concert suite...

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Geez, I'd hate to imagine what he thinks of George Lucas then, considering the two successive prequels with only one concert suite...

But they all focus on a single theme. Imagine Across the Stars and Battle of the Heroes being combined into one four-minute suite.

How I feel about TLJ's concert suite:

image.png

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Is that the most concert suites from a single show John has written? 

I dunno, the entire Jaws OST album is essentially concert arrangements

• 2 months later...
On 9/26/2018 at 1:18 AM, crumbs said:

Solves that mystery, except wouldn't that cue fall under Follow Me? Maybe the OST track is comprised of two shorter cues (Who's Luke Skywalker and Follow Me). 

I guess we can consider this fully solved!

5M47 Good Guys Shooting

This is the unused cue that was supposed to appear when Finn fights "TR-8R". Part of it is heard in the BTS documentary. Just thought that was interesting.

EDIT:

Same exact case for "6M59 To Lightspeed". The entire scene was cut from the film, but part of the cue can be heard in the section of the deleted scene on the Blu-Ray set.

EDIT 2:

"Ren in Cockpit" I presume is from the deleted scene where he's in the Falcon's cockpit... but shouldn't that be after "Ice Landing"?

10 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

This is the unused cue that was supposed to appear when Finn fights "TR-8R". Part of it is heard in the BTS documentary. Just thought that was interesting. 

I thought we'd already heard through a podcast with someone who worked on one of the live to projection concerts that Good Guys Shooting was Poe and the Resistance pilots arriving at Takodana (The Resistance on the FYC). That would most likely in-fact be the Finn Fight cue which I came across as Finn Fight Alt in several music copyright databases, along with most of the rest of the score.

We should be able to cross reference the cues in this list with the ones in the database and find the outliers. 

I note that Hand Opening isn't featured in this cue list, which I'm convinced means Williams did score the deleted opening for the film (Luke's hand clutching the lightsaber, floating through space) and not the cue title for the latter shot of someone's hand opening to reveal the map. 

35 minutes ago, crumbs said:

We should be able to cross reference the cues in this list with the ones in the database and find the outliers. 

I note that Hand Opening isn't featured in this cue list, which I'm convinced means Williams did score the deleted opening for the film (Luke's hand clutching the lightsaber, floating through space) and not the cue title for the latter shot of someone's hand opening to reveal the map. 

Hand Opening was the cue we saw being recorded in the 60 Minutes video. They kept saying "this is how the film will open", and we got a very soft and somber cue, which is completely different than the opening in the film now. A tiny bit of it of course was hastily edited into the album.

57 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Maybe the tail end of that cue is actually heard then?

Notably, the live-to-projection Return of the Jedi cue list includes 'Vader Contacts Luke', even though the particular scene that name refers was cut, because the cue also contains the music for the droids approaching Jabba's palace. May be a similar situation here.

6 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Hand Opening was the cue we saw being recorded in the 60 Minutes video. They kept saying "this is how the film will open", and we got a very soft and somber cue, which is completely different than the opening in the film now. A tiny bit of it of course was hastily edited into the album.

Could that opening just have been Lor San Tekka handing the map to Poe or something, maybe the scene was longer, and only then did we see the FO arriving, which is our opening now?

Here's a consolidated list of all the cue titles we have (Online databases, Sheets & LTP - Order based on online databases and guesses):

Spoiler

Opening [LTP: 1M1 Main Title]
1M1A Starry Night [LTP: 1M1 Main Title/Starry Night/The Invasion of the Village]
1M2A (fix) - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
Hand Opening - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
1M3C I've Seen Too Much - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
1M3D The Attack on the Village [LTP: The Invasion of the Village]
Guns Ablaze - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
The First Order Approaches [LTP: 1M2 The First Order Approaches]
1M4R The Arrival of Kylo Ren [LTP: 1M3 The Arrival of Kylo Rey/Landing]
1M4B Landing [LTP: 1M3 The Arrival of Kylo Rey/Landing]
Fix on Fix - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
Rey's Rope Climb [LTP: 1M5 The Scavenger]
One Quarter Portion/Lunchtime [LTP: 1M6-1M7 One Quarter Portion/Lunchtime With Rey]
Finding the Map - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
BB and Rey [LTP: 2M11 BB & Rey Meet]
Don't Follow Me - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
Poe Under Torture [LTP: 2M12]
Finn Helps Poe - [LTP: 2M14 I Can Fly Anything]
The First Escape [LTP: 2M15]
Finn's Trek [LTP: 2M16]
That Lady with the Stick [LTP: 2M17]
Who's Luke Skywalker? [LTP: 2M18]
Follow Me [LTP: ?M19]
The Falcon Still Flies! [LTP: 3M20]
What's Your Name? [LTP: 3M21]
Kylo and His Sword [LTP: 3M22]
Hiding Under the Grate [LTP:3M24]
You're Han Solo? [LTP:3M26]
Rathtars Appear [LTP: 3M27]
The Rathtar Attack [LTP: 3M28 The Rathtar Attack Part 1]
Old Falcon to the Rescue [LTP: 3M29 The Rathtar Attack Part 2/Snoke]
Starkiller [LTP: 3M29 The Rathtar Attack Part 2/Snoke]
The Map Scene [LTP: 4M31]
Green Planet [LTP: 4M32]
Gotta Name? - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
You Got a Name? [LTP: 4M33]
Jabba Flow - (Not performed in LTP)
I've Found the Droid [LTP: 4M34]
Talking with Grandfather - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
Dobra Doompa - (Not performed in LTP)
Maz on the Table [LTP: 4M35]
I Ran Into You [LTP: 4M36-4M38 I Ran Into You/Into The Cellar]
Into the Cellar [LTP: 4M36-4M38 I Ran Into You/Into The Cellar]
Rey's Dream [LTP: 5M40]
I Have to Get Back [LTP: 5M41]

The Beam is Released - (NOT IN LTP LIST - Possibly unused "Last Day of the Republic" Hux speech cue)
Sunbeam Strings [LTP: 5M43]

5M43A (Fix) - Maz's Treasure Chest - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
5M43R Fix - Find Rey! [LTP: 5M43]
5M44 [No Title]
Kylo Arrives at Battle [LTP: 5M44]    
Finn Fight Alt - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
Good Guys Shooting [LTP: 5M47 Good Guys Shooting/The Resistance Theme]
5M46R Kylo Stalks Rey - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
5M48 We've Got What We Need - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
5M49A The Abduction of Rey [LTP:5M48-5M49 The Abduction of Rey/Han & Leia Reunion/Finn and Poe, United]
6m50 Han and Leia Reunion [LTP:5M48-5M49 The Abduction of Rey/Han & Leia Reunion/Finn and Poe, United]    
Finn and Poe, United [LTP:5M48-5M49 The Abduction of Rey/Han & Leia Reunion/Finn and Poe, United]
R-2 in Hybernation [LTP: 6M52 R2 in Hibernation/Parental Discussion]
Leia, C-3P0, and R2 - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
Parental Discussion [LTP: 6M52 R2 in Hibernation/Parental Discussion]
We See Ren [LTP: 6M53 We See Rey]
Bring Her to Me [LTP: 6M54]
You Will Remove These Restraints [LTP: 6M55]
Kylo's Rage! [LTP: 6M56]
Council Meeting [LTP: 6M57A Council Meeting/Preparing for the Mission/Ren In Cockpit]
Preparing for the Mission [LTP: 6M57A Council Meeting/Preparing for the Mission/Ren In Cockpit]    
6M57B Ice Landing [LTP: 6M57B]
Hey! [LTP: 6M58A]
Rey on the Wall [LTP: 6M58B]
To Lightspeed [LTP: 6M59 To Lightspeed/The Bombing Run]
Ren in Cockpit [LTP: 6M57A Council Meeting/Preparing for the Mission/Ren In Cockpit]
The Bombing Run [LTP: 6M59 To Lightspeed/The Bombing Run]
[LTP: 6M59A Group Startles Rey]
Hug Later [LTP: 7M60 Hug Later]
Shootout [LTP: 7M62 Shoot Out/On The Inside]
7M62A On the Inside [LTP: 7M62 Shoot Out/On The Inside]
I Can Get Us In - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
7M65 Father and Son
7M65B Father and Son [LTP: 7M65]
7M65C Leia Fix - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
7M66 The Control Room and Ren in the Forest - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
7M67R It Is You [LTP: 7M67 It Is You/Scherzo For X-Wings/Rey vs. Ren]
7M67B F Rey Catches Sword - (NOT IN LTP LIST)    
Blowing Up the Oscillator [LTP: 7M67 It Is You/Scherzo For X-Wings/Rey vs. Ren]    
7M67A Rey vs. Ren [LTP: 7M67 It Is You/Scherzo For X-Wings/Rey vs. Ren]
Light in the Snow and Flying Home - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
Flying Home [LTP: 7M68]    
The Complete Map [LTP: 8M73]
To Ending - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
8M74 Climbing the Mountain [LTP: 8M74]
Finale - (NOT IN LTP LIST)
End Credits [LTP: End Credits]

And here's just the cues which are absent from the LTP list:

Spoiler

1M2A (fix) - Just a fix, wouldn't be listed anyway
Hand Opening - Cue for unused original opening? Possibly tracked into final film.
1M3C I've Seen Too Much - Likely covered by 1M1
Guns Ablaze - Likely covered by 1M1
Fix on Fix - Just a fix, wouldn't be listed anyway
Finding the Map - No idea where this cue would go, but in one of the music copyright databases it is placed between One Quarter Portion/Lunchtime & Don't Follow Me
Don't Follow Me - Scene possibly covered by two cues? Partially used alternate?
Gotta Name? - Partially used alternate?
Jabba Flow - Not Williams
Talking with Grandfather - Possibly covered by 4M34?
Dobra Doompa - Not Williams
5M43A (Fix) - Maz's Treasure Chest - Just a fix, wouldn't be listed anyway

The Beam is Released - Possibly unused "Last Day of the Republic" Hux speech cue
Finn Fight Alt - Unused in scene but partially tracked at some point in final film?
5M46R Kylo Stalks Rey - Likely covered by 5M48-5M49
5M48 We've Got What We Need - Likely covered by 5M48-5M49
Leia, C-3P0, and R2 - Possibly covered by 6M52? Or tracked into scene and the scene it was written for got deleted?
I Can Get Us In - No idea where this cue would go, but in one of the music copyright databases it is placed between Shootout & Leia Fix (Father and Son is missing from site)
7M65C Leia Fix - Just a fix, wouldn't be listed anyway
7M66 The Control Room and Ren in the Forest - Likely covered by 7M65
7M67B F Rey Catches Sword - Unused in film, so likely not included in LTP.
Light in the Snow and Flying Home
To Ending
Finale

10 hours ago, Holko said:

Could that opening just have been Lor San Tekka handing the map to Poe or something, maybe the scene was longer, and only then did we see the FO arriving, which is our opening now? 

That could certainly be the case as well. As of right now we have no idea how the original opening of the film was structured.

@CGCJ @Manakin Skywalker @Holko I wouldn’t take the absence of a cue from the list as confirmation that it wasn’t used.

The live-to-projection version of Return of the Jedi combines 12M5 The Emperor's Death, 13M1 Space Battle, and 13M2 Vadar's Death all under the title 12M5 The Emperor’s Death, so there’s probably some missing, but what’s here should be pretty accurate.