The Force Awakens - Complete Score Breakdown & Chronological Order (Film Spoilers Allowed)

Jay

Yeah, do we have any confirmation these use actual original JW titles, not made-up ones for longer stretches or film edits? (We know how Mike has to rename things (film version) or (original) or (alternate) or (revised) to differentiate it from the already released but different version) It's still great to have *a* list but I wouldn't take it as gospel.

Here’s the list for Episode IV, which has full score leaks for most cues. The cue named and numbers match the sheet music leaks very closely, apart from correcting typos and omitting references to revisions, extensions, alternates, etc. Some cues had more than one title written, like 3M3, which has both ‘The Sand Speeder’ and ‘Land of the Sand People’ written at the top.

So, while it’s not as good as a primary source, these seem quite likely to be accurate.

87AA9B30-1AD5-49AF-AA47-317AF342E342.png

Might as well post the others, for anyone else curious:

The Empire Strikes Back

596A964C-2815-4112-A807-F7507B024352.png

Return of the Jedi

2088E090-41D8-4554-BD8B-A9DA0E38D033.png

2 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

@CGCJ @Manakin Skywalker @Holko I wouldn’t take the absence of a cue from the list as confirmation that it wasn’t used.

The live-to-projection version of Return of the Jedi combines 12M5 The Emperor's Death, 13M1 Space Battle, and 13M2 Vadar's Death all under the title 12M5 The Emperor’s Death, so there’s probably some missing, but what’s here should be pretty accurate. 

I wasn't at all referring to the absence of a cue from the list; but I was talking about cues we already know are unused but are on the list anyway.

13 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I wasn't at all referring to the absence of a cue from the list; but I was talking about cues we already know are unused but are on the list anyway.

That’s probably just an indication they’re not entirely unused, in my opinion. ‘Vader Contacts Luke’ is on the list for Return of the Jedi despite the scene it’s named for being cut, because it also includes the music for the droids on their way to Jabba’s palace.

5 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

That’s probably just an indication they’re not entirely unused, in my opinion. ‘Vader Contacts Luke’ is on the list for Return of the Jedi despite the scene it’s named for being cut, because it also includes the music for the droids on their way to Jabba’s palace.

True. Mostly unused is pretty much what I mean to say.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Can you verify you didn't make a typo?  The MACP & SACM lists say "We See Ren", not "Rey"

A80CD225-007B-45DE-90E1-02AFCBEC68D2.jpeg

“We See Ren” makes more sense, though. Given more than one source has that, it’s probably just a typo in this version.

Yea, We See Ren is certainly the right name. So BrotherSound didn't make the typo, the guys running the live to projection concerts did. Funny. 

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, We See Ren is certainly the right name. So BrotherSound didn't make the typo, the guys running the live to projection concerts did. Funny. 

It was most likely “corrected”, because they would have started with the same Finale files used for the sessions…

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this helps but the Sabam repertoire has updated with entries for a few cues for their use in "Star Tours: The Adventures Continue 2017 Main Show":

Hand Opening (00:19)

Kylo's Rage (00:13)

The Falcon Still Flies! (00:58)

Fun With Finn and Rose (00:22)

Green Planet (00:05)

Light in the Snow and Flying Home (00:23)

Might be useful in identifying these cues.

3 hours ago, CGCJ said:

I don't know if this helps but the Sabam repertoire has updated with entries for a few cues for their use in "Star Tours: The Adventures Continue 2017 Main Show":

Hand Opening (00:19)

Kylo's Rage (00:13)

The Falcon Still Flies! (00:58)

Fun With Finn and Rose (00:22)

Green Planet (00:05)

Light in the Snow and Flying Home (00:23)

Might be useful in identifying these cues.

That does help, because this list appears chronological, which answers several questions!

• Light in the Snow and Flying Home is the alternate early version of this cue (audible at 3:57 above) so the cues labelled Flying Home (and possibly Old Falcon to the Rescue) are the versions heard in the film. Unclear which versions Williams recorded first.
  • 1:15 onwards is the variety of excerpts from The Falcon Still Flies!, including unreleased/alternate sections not heard in the film or album (sigh)
  • 0:57 - 1:10 is Kylo's Rage (a mix of the music when Kylo finds Rey escaped the torture chair, also the music when the FO begin charging the Starkiller weapon at the end of Act 2)
  • Which means 0:11 - 0:30 is the ever-elusive Hand Opening. The first 10 seconds is difficult to hear but sounds similar to Starry Night, except this version gradually builds with very tense, uneasy strings and a punch of brass to close the cue off. I'm now convinced this is what Williams wrote for the alternate opening of Luke's severed hand slowly drifting into frame clutching a lightsaber. It's definitely not for a shot of Lor San Tekka opening his hand, the tone is way too dark.

24 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Light in the Snow and Flying Home is the alternate early version of this cue (audible at 3:57 above) so the cues labelled Flying Home (and possibly Old Falcon to the Rescue) are the versions heard in the film. Unclear which versions Williams recorded first.

Looking at the cue list again, surely Old Falcon to the Rescue is the music for the escape from the freighter with the Rathtars (OST The Rathtars! [02:47-End]), as it comes after The Rathtar Attack in the sorted list from SACM.

Spoiler

Jabba Flow

The Resistance March

Starry Night

Fix

No Title

Hand Opening

I've Seen Too Much

The Beam is Released

The Attack on the Village

Guns Ablaze

The Arrival of Kylo Ren

The First Order Approaches

The Control Room and Ren in the Forest

Landing

Fix on Fix

One Quarter Portion/Lunchtime

Finding the Map

Don't Follow Me

Kylo Stalks Rey

What's Your Name?

Finn Helps Poe

The First Escape

Finn's Trek

That Lady with the Stick

Who's Luke Skywalker

The Falcon Still Flies!

Kylo Arrives at Battle

Kylo and His Sword

Hiding Under the Grate

You're Han Solo?

Rathtars Appear

The Rathtar Attack

Old Falcon to the Rescue

Starkiller

We See Ren

The Map Scene

Green Planet

Gotta Name?

You Got a Name?

I've Found the Droid

Talking with Grandfather

Dobra Doompa

Maz on the Table

I Ran Into You

Into the Cellar

Finn Fight Alt

Poe Under Torture

Rey's Dream

Kylo's Rage

I Have to Get Back

Rey Vs. Ren

Sunbeam Strings

Find Rey!

Good Guys Shooting

We've Got What We Needed

The Abduction of Rey

Han and Leia Reunion

Finn and Poe, United

R2 in Hybernation

Leia, C-3P0, and R2

Parental Discussion

Bring Her to Me

You Will Remove These Restraints

Preparing for the Mission

Ren in Cockpit

Ice Landing

Hey!

Rey's Rope Climb

Rey on Wall

To Lightspeed

The Bombing Run

Hug Later

Shootout

I Can Get Us In

Leia Fix

Rey Catches Sword

Blowing Up the Oscillator

Light in the Snow and Flying Home

Flying Home

BB and Rey

The Complete Map

To Ending

Rey's Theme

Ahh yes, you're probably right. The two versions are likely just Flying Home and Light in the Snow and Flying Home.

The latter probably being an early alternate, and when JW revised the cue he shortened the title as well. 

• 1 month later...

So... there weren't any real leaks out there with more music right? Because I seem to have come across a more complete version of the score, although I'm not sure exactly how much extra stuff there is (I should listen to TFA more I just realized)

Hmm, the OST, the FYC, and the three tracks from the LEGO video game are still basically it, so far. There are a few more cues that can be heard on the Art of the Score podcast, but I think those are partial? Specifically thinking of the I Will Finish What You Started and Landing At Light Speed cues (Jay’s titles… too lazy to look up the real ones).

What you have come across could include actual clips from the movie, and they tried to isolate the music by just playing the rear channels or whatever, or bits from Blu-ray menus or interviews or behind-the-scenes videos.

Oh, there are also the Jedi Steps and Adagio (concert arrangements, which have been recorded by Lockhart and Dudamel, respectively. But I can never remember if those were supposed to have been composed/arranged in 2015 or later.

I see.. well they're not rips, they're completely clean. Some microedits seem to be gone as well. I haven't finished listening but there are definitely some unreleased things in there, let's see:

Rey meeting BB8

Hux's speech

Vader's mask part

Rey's dream

Some nice Starkiller base material

Millennium Falcon landing on Starkiller base

and lots of other bits

It's like 60 tracks, not including alternates and bonus tracks. The source music is also included.

13 minutes ago, Evanus said:

I see.. well they're not rips, they're completely clean. Some microedits seem to be gone as well. I haven't finished listening but there are definitely some unreleased things in there, let's see:

Rey meeting BB8

Hux's speech

Vader's mask part

Rey's dream

Some nice Starkiller base material

and lots of other bits

It's like 60 tracks, not including alternates and bonus tracks. The source music is also included.

Titles?

18 minutes ago, Evanus said:

Vader's mask part

These are from The Art of the Score podcast.

18 minutes ago, Evanus said:

The source music is also included.

These are from the LEGO The Force Awakens video game source files.

5 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

These are from The Art of the Score podcast.

These are from the LEGO The Force Awakens video game source files.

Ah, I think it's just really well put together edit, not sure though.

12 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Titles?

nHFZccH.jpg

Edit: better image

Yeah most of us have been keeping under wraps for whatever reason. Trent asked me not to share it publicly because I believe the person who gave it to him asked him not to share it publicly. Not really too many people had it until today. I did share one cue on Discord about a month ago though.

I think we can add this cue titels that was tracked in Rise of Skywalker:

3M26R from Ep.7 You're Han Solo?

4M36R from Ep.7 I Ran Into You

5M46R from Ep.7 Kylo Stalks Rey

6M50R from Ep.7 Han and Leia Reunion

6M55R from Ep.7 Council Meeting

6M56E from Ep.7 Ren In Cockpit

8M77 from Ep.7 March Of The Resistance

4 hours ago, Smaug the iron said:

3M26R from Ep.7 You're Han Solo?

4M36R from Ep.7 I Ran Into You

5M46R from Ep.7 Kylo Stalks Rey

6M50R from Ep.7 Han and Leia Reunion

6M55R from Ep.7 Council Meeting

It's amazing how so many film cues are revisions. It feels like Williams scored the whole film twice.

To fully understand what JW was trying to do with some of his alternates, you'd probably need to see the cut of the film he actually scored the first time around. It's a shame there's no way we can do that. I guess it does free you up to use your imagination a bit more, though, kind of like reading a book.

Would Mike get access to that type of thing? I think he gets an isolated score for some projects so he can match the exact takes to the film music track where they weren't correctly logged or notated (especially for older analogue scores; I'm sure the digitally mixed scores could just spit out a detailed spreadsheet of every item on the film's music track, complete with take numbers).

The clips from each version of the film have to exist because Williams conducted to them via his podium monitor. Presumably that vision gets synced to each take recorded (otherwise Ramiro wouldn't be able to keep track of Williams' intentions).

I've never heard of a studio giving a music producer an early cut of a film when working on a soundtrack album, no

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never heard of a studio giving a music producer an early cut of a film when working on a soundtrack album, no

IIRC Closest thing is Doug Adams on LOTR, and he isn't a music producer, and that was a special case.

29 minutes ago, Holko said:

And he was there to document it from earlier stages.

40 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

IIRC Closest thing is Doug Adams on LOTR, and he isn't a music producer, and that was a special case.

1 hour ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Damn, why can't isolated HP1-3 leak too?

Shawm!!!

15 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

We do have the shawm cue. It leaked last year, but unfortunately it's the film edit, so the orchestra is present along with it.

From a podcast.

Compressed.

lossy.

Lame.

;)

Getting to hear so many unreleased cues without SFX is certainly reigniting the flame of my love for this score, and I'm very happy about it.

Some particularly interesting unreleased bits:

Don't Follow Me 

Finn Helps Poe 

Talking With Grandfather

Hux's Speech

Kylo Arrives At Battle (film version)

Preparing For The Mission

Ice Landing

Rey On Wall

Shootout

Evacuation - Rey Finds Finn

I notice that the score flows really well as it is here and it's great for listening! Reminds me of the War Horse recording sessions in that sense. 

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 1:11 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

We do have the shawm cue. It leaked last year, but unfortunately it's the film edit, so the orchestra is present along with it.

We only have like two seconds of that cue, the isolated score would contain at least another minute.