The Force Awakens - Complete Score Breakdown & Chronological Order (Film Spoilers Allowed)

Jay

On 1/21/2020 at 7:11 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

We do have the shawm cue. It leaked last year, but unfortunately it's the film edit, so the orchestra is present along with it.

What the heck is shawm?

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

What the heck is shawm?

A shawm is a conical bore, double-reed woodwind instrument made in Europe from the 12th century to the present day.

Salmaj.jpg

11 minutes ago, Demodex said:

Thanks. Now what is the shawm cue?  Is that Hagrid playing Hedwig's theme outside his hut?

No, it's Egyptian sounding music from POA. Plays at the same time as Discussing Black.

You can hear it during the first minute or so of this youtube video, it continues even after Discussing Black begins around 40 seconds in

13 hours ago, Jay said:

You can hear it during the first minute or so of this youtube video, it continues even after Discussing Black begins around 40 seconds in

I'm over it now. The completist part of me would like to have it, but I'll be perfectly fine with super compressed version from the podcast.

An isolated score with zero SFX? I had no idea that even existed.

Is it possible to learn this power?

Seriously though, I've been searching on an off for the past few years for an isolated TFA score.

Is there any way to get this without having some special connections?anakin.jpg

Is there a similar thread for TLJ? I'm looking specifically for a rough combination of the OST and the FYC without editing, similar to what Jay posted at the top of this thread.

EDIT:

Never mind, I found it:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28085-the-last-jedi-for-your-consideration-fyc-album/&tab=comments#comment-1429995

• 1 month later...

To elaborate on the Starry Night being labeled "(Edited incorrectly)"

0:00-0:11 should have gone into the Kylo Theme at 0:32 and 0:11-0:00 should have gone after 1:02 for the "Free version"

1:03-1:13 almost seems to be layered from 7M66 The Control Room and Ren in the Forest

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

I want to hear the piano version of Rey‘s theme, especially if that was performed by JW himself :john: 

Yes, I'm curious if this piano version is just a piano arrangement of the OST track, or something more substantial... potentially with alternate sections or early ideas for her theme.

I'm not extremely familiar with the Adagio concert suite, but maybe it's 8M81 Sunbeam Strings? Not sure what else that would be, and it's after the other concert suites.

Sunbeam Strings is OST track 12 "The Starkiller" and yes the concert piece "Adagio from The Force Awakens" is adapted from it

Based on the cue numbers, these cues all scored scenes which were omitted from the final cut:

1 hour ago, Jay said:

1M2R

1M2R (New Ending)
'Hand' Opening

2M16 
I Don't Know What To Do

2M17
2M17R
Kylo Ren

3M29
3M29R
Leia, C3P0 and R2

5M41
Leia’s Condolence Speech

6M56E
Ren In Cockpit

6M57
6M57R
Rey’s Rope Climb

6M56C Fixed
To Lightspeed

7M62
I Can Get Us In

7M67R
It Is You

1 hour ago, Bounty95 said:

I want to hear the piano version of Rey‘s theme, especially if that was performed by JW himself :john: 

Wouldn't this be the piano version that is available in the piano folio of the film?

13 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Wouldn't this be the piano version that is available in the piano folio of the film?

Unknown. It might be an early sketch from the first few sessions. Rey's Theme underwent changes throughout the score's prolonged recording schedule. 

On 11/05/2020 at 2:35 PM, Jay said:

4 Rey Meets BB-8 (1:31)

• 0:00-1:10 = 8M72 Finding The Map
  • 1:10-end = 4M37 I've Found The Droid

So this confirms that it was indeed for R2 waking up and not for Ray meets BB-8. 

• 5 Follow Me (2:54)
  • 0.00-1:07 = 2M18B Who's Luke Skywalker?
  • 1:07-2:24 = 2M18CR Follow Me
  • 2:24-2:36 = 2M18C Insert II
  • 2:36-end = 2M18CR Follow Me {Continued

So the Rebel Fanfer is a insert, intresting.  

15 Han And Leia (4:41)

• 0:00-1:12 = 6M50R Han & Leia Reunion
  • 1:12-2:52 = 6M51R Finn and Poe, United
  • 3:23-end = 6M53R Parental Discussion

??? Where is 2:52-3:23?

So, here's an updated chronological re-ordering of the OST album.

1. 01 Main Title And The Attack On The Jakku Village (6:25)
  2. 02 The Scavenger (3:39)
  3. 03 I Can Fly Anything (3:11)
  4. 08B "That Lady With The Stick" (0:35-1:05)
  5. 05 Follow Me (2:54)
  6. 07 The Falcon (3:32)
  7. 08A "What's Your Name?" (0:00-0:35)
  8. 08C "Kylo and His Sword" (1:11-end)
  9. 09 The Rathtars (4:05)
  10. 10B "Green Planet" (0:52-1:17)
  11. 10C "You Got A Name?" (1:17-end)
  12. 11A "Maz on the Table" (0:00-1:21)
  13. 10A "I Ran Into You" (0:00-0:52)
  14. 04B "I've Found The Droid" (1:10-end)
  15. 11B "I Have To Go Back" (1:21-end)
  16. 12 The Starkiller (1:51)
  17. 13 Kylo Ren Arrives At The Battle (2:01)
  18. 14 The Abduction (2:25)
  19. 15 Han And Leia (4:41)
  20. 17 Snoke (2:03)
  21. 18 On The Inside (2:05)
  22. 19 Torn Apart (4:19)
  23. 20 The Ways Of The Force (3:14)
  24. 22A "Light In The Snow and Flying Home" (0:00-2:05)
  25. 04A "Finding The Map" (0:00-1:10)
  26. 22B "The Complete Map (2:05-end)
  27. 23 The Jedi Steps And Finale (8:51)
    Concert Arrangements
  28. 06 Rey's Theme (3:11)
  29. 16 March Of The Resistance (2:35)
  30. 21 Scherzo For X-Wings (2:32)

On 5/11/2020 at 10:55 AM, Jay said:

Sunbeam Strings is OST track 12 "The Starkiller" and yes the concert piece "Adagio from The Force Awakens" is adapted from it

Wait, so "The Starkiller" on the album is a suite recording of sorts? I always thought the OST track sounded identical to the film version.

13 minutes ago, Cameron007 said:

Wait, so "The Starkiller" on the album is a suite recording of sorts? I always thought the OST track sounded identical to the film version.

No -- the film cue Sunbeam Strings is the OST track The Starkiller.

Williams later adapted this film cue into a separate concert suite called Adagio, which we didn't hear for years until after the film's release.

Of all the SW concert pieces, Adagio is the least SW sounding. I have it on a playlist with other SW concert arrangements and boy does it stand out. It's not just that it isn't brassy and bombastic, it just has a very different sound and feel even when compared to pieces like Luke and Leia, Anakin's Theme, and other slower, more string-forward pieces. It also just might not be very good.

55 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Of all the SW concert pieces, Adagio is the least SW sounding. I have it on a playlist with other SW concert arrangements and boy does it stand out. It's not just that it isn't brassy and bombastic, it just has a very different sound and feel even when compared to pieces like Luke and Leia, Anakin's Theme, and other slower, more string-forward pieces. It also just might not be very good.

The piece was a last-minute rewrite that JW did almost as a gift to his friend Dudamel, who conducted the piece in the soundtrack recording. 

1 hour ago, artguy360 said:

I does fell somewhat insubstantial.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

No -- the film cue Sunbeam Strings is the OST track The Starkiller.

Williams later adapted this film cue into a separate concert suite called Adagio, which we didn't hear for years until after the film's release.

So then we don't know what "The Beam Is Released" sounds like at all? Unless of course, they're basically identical.

13 minutes ago, Cameron007 said:

So then we don't know what "The Beam Is Released" sounds like at all? Unless of course, they're basically identical.

As far as I'm aware, no.

But it must have been recorded because Dudamel said Williams re-wrote the cue overnight, implying an issue with his first attempt (either editorial changes or simply JJ wanting a change in tone).

I don't think the The Beam Is Released! version ever turned up anywhere

EDIT: I was wrong, 17 seconds of it is in FYC track 1 from 2:17-2:34

On 11/05/2020 at 12:35 PM, crumbs said:

Based on the cue numbers, these cues all scored scenes which were omitted from the final cut:

6M57
6M57R
Rey’s Rope Climb

The leaked shooting schedule mentions a scene from about this part of the movie that's never seen the light of day. It says "Rey uses her fight skills to take out a Stormtrooper, get his gun." I wonder if this is from that.

7M67R
It Is You

This moment is still in the movie, but this line was removed. In the script, when Rey Force-grabs the lightsaber at the end, Kylo says "it is you." This was cut from the movie, but is still in the novelization.

To add on to this list:

1M6
1M6 Alt
Seeing A Mother and Getting Rations

Is something similar. Originally, when Rey was cleaning her salvage, she looked up and saw a mother and son board a starship that then flew away. This was changed in the final film to Rey looking at the old woman and the ship flying away was reused as the end of the Force vision she has when touching the lightsaber.

2M18B
Who's Luke Skywalker

Same as above, the moment is still in the film, but was changed from how it was originally filmed. Originally, when Rey and Finn first meet, Rey didn't know who Luke Skywalker was.

4M36R 
I Ran Into You

Might be from the deleted scene of Unkar Plutt at Maz's castle.

5M43A (Fix)
Maz's Treasure Chest

Might be from the deleted scene where Maz was going to use the force to collapse a tunnel on some stormtroopers. Its position is from after Rey finds the lightsaber, has the vision, and runs away so I don't think it's directly referring to the chest holding the lightsaber. Although that whole sequence went through a bunch of permutations in editing so who knows.

And Maz's Treasure Chest (Fix) is just 0:27 - 0:56 of FYC Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle.

The OST version is either the non-fixed version or microedited, because it runs 13 seconds shorter. Likely the latter.

On 5/14/2020 at 5:11 AM, Cameron007 said:

On 5/14/2020 at 5:26 AM, crumbs said:

As far as I'm aware, no.

But it must have been recorded because Dudamel said Williams re-wrote the cue overnight, implying an issue with his first attempt (either editorial changes or simply JJ wanting a change in tone).

On 5/14/2020 at 8:18 AM, Jay said:

I don't think the The Beam Is Released! version ever turned up anywhere

Hopefully we get to hear it someday

The music that we thought was unused music for Hux's speech, this one:

It turns out it's actually 1M3AR The First Order Approaches, so it was written for the opening scene. It looks like JW never wrote any music for Hux's speech, which is odd. 

5M40 The Beam Is Released! was replaced by Sunbeam Strings, though JJ ended up tracking some of it into the opening scene, you can hear it in FYC track 1 from 2:17-2:34