The Force Awakens 2CD Expanded Score coming Q1 2016?

Amer

We can always hope for an official expanded release!

Along with the news that the complete score masters to the prequels are sitting there waiting to be released, I have a feeling Disney might go ahead with it!

1 hour ago, azahid said:

I read on some insiders post on Conrad Popes facebook comments that a 2CD Expanded set is confirmed and exepected  in 1st qtr 2016. The source claimed as an insider news. Ofcourse, I cant confirm its authenticity, BUT Given the enourmous success of the movie and rumblings of yet another Oscar nomination, I suspect this may be true.Lets wait and see. This isnt stingy business values like Lucasfilm anymore..lol 

Link?

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Link?

I can't find the link to where it was mentioned, but basically someone asked whether they would release the chronological scores to the prequels, something similar to TPM, and the response was that they had all the masters there and it was down to demand and Disney.

10 minutes ago, RPurton said:

I can't find the link to where it was mentioned, but basically someone asked whether they would release the chronological scores to the prequels, something similar to TPM, and the response was that they had all the masters there and it was down to demand and Disney.

I think it was part of the Shawn Murphy reddit thing.

12 hours ago, amh1219 said:

I think it was part of the Shawn Murphy reddit thing.

Yes, that's it. I can't find the damn page though!

Q:

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

For Episodes I, II, and III, we still only have the "studio album" versions of the score. Was there any consideration for putting together the chronological score as was done for the original trilogy presenting the exact takes/mixes that were used in the films?

A:

That's a Sony question. (everyone laughs)

I'll give you the quick answer. That answer is, sure.

We were hoping that when we did the special edition of Episode 1 that that would take place for Episode 2 & 3, but it never did. What I can tell you is, editorially, it would have to be an effort to put complete cues together, as opposed to how they existed in the film. But all of that material is available; the edit notes are available, the scores are available, and the multi-track masters are available. So, it's a matter of desire, and I'm sure budget, to accomplish that.

But could it be done? Absolutely. Sequential, complete versions of those scores could be done.

From the recent AMA on Reddit with Shawn Murphy and Patricia Sullivan and others. here: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/3w97d3/were_pat_sullivan_dann_michael_thompson_and_shawn/

But that has nothing to do with this "An insider says there's a 2CD set coming Q1 2016" thing azahid mentioned, which is what I was hoping I'd get a link to.

This is all I could find on that topic..

John Williams! The copyists made the scores and, I understand Bill Ross contributed. John had time to finesse things is my understanding. Mind you there is an LOT of music that is not on the cd. The credits read orchestrations by John Williams and William Ross!

Morgan Pearse Hopefully there is a 2CD release somewhere down the road, as with the original trilogy.

Yeah. I went through that whole post looking for any other references, and aside from interesting insights from Ed Shearmur and Austin Wintory, not to mention Pasi, there isn't any mention of an expanded release. This is how stupid rumors get started!

Yea I found the thread on Pope's Facebook discussing Star Wars, but see nothing about an insider mentioning a 2CD set coming Q1 2016.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10207505550589853&id=1621614403

Hopefully next time azahid will quote the information and link to the source before posting something like that.

Just now, king mark said:

at least we got the most important unreleased tracks with the FYC

As far as we know...

Blissful ignorance with this score. Who knows what exists in the hour of deleted music. 

3 hours ago, azahid said:

I read on some insiders post on Conrad Popes facebook comments that a 2CD Expanded set is confirmed and exepected  in 1st qtr 2016. The source claimed as an insider news. Ofcourse, I cant confirm its authenticity, BUT Given the enourmous success of the movie and rumblings of yet another Oscar nomination, I suspect this may be true.Lets wait and see. This isnt stingy business values like Lucasfilm anymore..lol 

Holy &##&#&# this would be amazing if true!!!! ?

If the DVD / Bluray is coming in the Spring, it may coincide with that.

Also, it may have been deleted because insiders didn't want it leaked.

Either way, hopeful. ?

hey crusher, your emails are bouncing, in case you didn't read my PM

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

As far as we know...

Blissful ignorance with this score. Who knows what exists in the hour of deleted music. 

Even if it shows up in  video games....we won;t know for sure it's Williams or Gordy Habb stuff

8 hours ago, king mark said:

hey crusher, your emails are bouncing, in case you didn't read my PM

Something happened between our emails. I have a Gmail I'll email you with that may work. My regular one for some reason works fine for all except yours. Maybe at the server level or something? Strange.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Conrad Pope isn't associated with the film at all. Why would he know anything, much less announce it?

I'm hoping the guy knows someone.

I think azahid was implying that some someone in Conrad's thread posted it was coming, NOT Conrad himself, who would surely never say anything about the matter, even if he knew.

It doesn't seem out of the question though. Abrams was already talking about the release of more music before the film came out. Was it ever clarified just what he meant by the way because it doesn't feel like the 30 minutes he was talking about are part of the OST.

On 5/12/2015 at 2:01 PM, BloodBoal said:

As it was previously pointed by someone (Luke, I believe), there are two ways you could read this tweet:

"there's 30m of extra John Williams music [not in movie] that will be released" => Those 30 minutes will be released somehow (either on the OST, or in some other form).

"there's 30m of extra John Williams music not in movie that will be released" => Those 30 minutes will not appear in the film that is going to be released on the 16th of December.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

We can still consider this report entirely unconfirmed, right? There's no link or screenshot to who and how this was posted on Facebook...

Absolutely.  All we can do it take azahid at his word that it was there, since he didn't capture it at all.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

We can still consider this report entirely unconfirmed, right? There's no link or screenshot to who and how this was posted on Facebook...

I saw a mention on the "Scores & Soundtracks" FB page by a "Tim Smith" about a "super deluxe" version coming in 2016, but it seems he's now edited his original post to frame it as a question after I asked about it:

Capture.PNG.084add1c51dbe8f425a58713792c

Well, that's mildly exciting.

Now we need to know if this Tim Smith was told this by an insider, or if he was just going off the same comment that azahid saw on Conrad's thread :P

~

There is a full score 2 CD set For The Force Awakens coming in the first quarter of 2016. That I know for a fact. And no, I can't tell you how I know, else the person giving me that info won't tell me anymore. Now based on ONLY my opinion, I don't think there were any Expanded versions of Attack Of The Clones or Revenge Of The Sith because of the fan outcry over not liking the movies. No matter how much we soundtrack/score enthusiasts love our full score collections, some companies won't put that kind of money behind expanded releases for films that are so widely hated by the very fans that would make up their sales demographic.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/95015405220/permalink/10156643991885221/?comment_id=10156644242085221&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D

Capture.JPG.850a787ad92bda7e66bcca473ea5

Even if the 2CD set doesn't have all the unused original versions of cues, if it simply has the final version of each cue in complete form with no edits, from the beginning of the movie to the end, followed by the four concert arrangements, that'd be a great 2CD set.

Then in 30 years we'll get the unused alternates in a Matessino-produced 3CD set :P