What does Star Wars mean to you?

karelm

Over the past week, I've had a lot of conversations (some of them surprisingly deep and emotional) with fans of the Star Wars series.  Some of them take Star Wars almost personally as if it has a deeper meaning than just entertainment or a fun film series...like it connects them to their childhood and a very positive memory they long for.  These discussions made me wonder what Star Wars as a series means to its fans and what makes it personal.  Is it just a fun film series, nostalgia for innocent times, or something deeper?  What does it all mean to you?

I've written about this many times. Star Wars, the film from 1977, changed how I view films for all time. While it is not my favorite film it certainly was perhaps the most eye popping film experience of my life. Love him or hate him George Lucas bestowed a gift upon humanity. The subsequent films have only once lived up to expectations until now. But the thing I love the most about the saga is the very simple truth that good vs evil can be told many ways and yet it never ever gets old. 

10 minutes ago, karelm said:

Over the past week, I've had a lot of conversations (some of them surprisingly deep and emotional) with fans of the Star Wars series.  Some of them take Star Wars almost personally as if it has a deeper meaning than just entertainment or a fun film series...like it connects them to their childhood and a very positive memory they long for.  These discussions made me wonder what Star Wars as a series means to its fans and what makes it personal.  Is it just a fun film series, nostalgia for innocent times, or something deeper?  What does it all mean to you?

All the Joseph Campbell stuff notwithstanding, for me it is just a (mostly) fun film series with really good music. The way my enthusiasm for the series has tapered off with time suggests that its hold on me is not especially deep.

I don't know, they're fun. I was never a "Star Wars kid" beyond watching them sometimes and wearing a black sheet around the house pretending to be Luke.  So I can't claim any deep nostalgia related meaning.  But when the prequels were happening, and now again, I get into it.  I like the group euphoria around it.  Yeah, it's fun. Honestly, something like KOTOR probably had more of an impact on me as far as stimulating the imagination than the films. The way it opened up the whole Star Wars world definitely transfixed me.  

It's a playground for terrific music. And also, I love how 5 second-long scenes become somewhat infinte. It's a infinite playground for the imagination. I love as much for what it suggest as for what it shows

1 hour ago, Romão said:

It's a playground for terrific music. And also, I love how 5 second-long scenes become somewhat infinte. It's a infinite playground for the imagination. I love as much for what it suggest as for what it shows

Yeah, that's a fundamental part of it for me as well. The universe Lucas created is one of the most potent ever. You can tell literally any kind of story you want to tell. Fantasy, sci-fi, western, horror, comedy, tragedy, romance, war epic. And you see shades of all those genres in the films, blending together. It's like a distillation of so much mythology blown up on the grandest scale. 

I like Star Wars for the Jaws-like banter aboard the Orca I mean the Falcon, the lengthy altercations which inevitably end with drawn lightsabers, and mainly because of the music. 

Saw it first in 1990, taped the music off tv (i wasn't aware that music from films was released on records at the time) and spent 3 weeks in summer camp having a really bad recording of the main and end titles of SW/ESB on my walkman, with then current Depeche Mode on the B-side. Friends got suspicious whenever the firm orchestra noise from side A found its way out of the open headphones.

Never developed a particularly strong affinity for the movies - i only rewatched them because we would get stoned at our shared student's flat and it ran on tv - but know and have studied the music well enough i could without much trouble whistle the different droid motifs from V and VI.

I used to be one of those Star Wars nerds who could tell you every bit of information about a specific kind of weapon used in the films. Glad those days are over! :whistle:

I have a vivid memory of sitting in the cinema as a 6-year old in 1977 ... first the Fox logo and fanfare, then 'A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ... '. Then BAM! ... the dramatic magnificence of JW's theme kicking in in all its glory and the bringing-you-up-to-speed 'story so far' text crawl, followed by the camera panning down through space to reveal a spaceship clearly under attack ... but from what? And then the ENORMOUS Star Destroyer rumbled into view, the cinema's sound-system shook, and my eyes became saucer-like as a love of the sci-fi genre was born.

WHAT an opening ,,, it's still tremendously exciting and draws you straight in now, Before I loved Bond or the Doctor ... I loved Star Wars.    

Star Wars, that's my childhood, that's... all my life.

Lucas took the best parts from some existing religions and proposed this wonderful concept of the Force.

That's so wonderful.

I'm not a religious person, I don't believe in God or in a God... anyway not of any form described by the actual religions.  But an energy that links all the living beings... that binds the galaxy together, I buy that.

There is so many lessons in Star Wars.  The good, the bad that's in us, the struggle to be a better person.

Like Lucas said recently, Star Wars is lot more than just a story of spaceships!