The Force Awakens For Your Consideration (FYC) Album

Jay

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

It won't be the only copy floating around though, if they've been mailed out by the hundreds. The lossless leak is inevitable.

This.

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

The lossless leak is inevitable.

I can't wait!

The copy on Ebay is already too high, and with four days still to go.

14 hours ago, crumbs said:

It won't be the only copy floating around though, if they've been mailed out by the hundreds. The lossless leak is inevitable.

Not true, that would mean that every FYC we've seen on eBay should've leaked in lossless, which they haven't. Some really nice ones haven't. But, yeah, Star Wars, is probably inevitable.

That's not worth anything. The price of no eBay auction matters until the last 5 seconds or so. That's when everything happens.

There's no way this will end at under $500.

Who cares about the packaging if it's the music you want?  Make your own cover and put it in a jewel case.  Posts like that make youb sound awfully pretentious. 

25 minutes ago, Drax said:

I'd bid on it if it wasn't in some cheap and nasty, budget cardboard slipcase.

What if the logo was double embossed?

40 minutes ago, Drax said:

I'd bid on it if it wasn't in some cheap and nasty, budget cardboard slipcase.

Can't be bothered to buy a $3 jewel case for a $1,000 promo disc, huh? :P

Yes, in fact it's so difficult that you didn't even notice I was joining in. Just look at the tongue sticking out of that smiley face I posted!

Jason, baby, come on!

Alright, am I missing something? 

I'm really curious as to why no one has mentioned the biggest difference between the OST version of the Opening cues and the FYC version.

Can someone explain to me what is happening in these two sections?

OST01 3:07 to 3:55 (Not on the FYC)

Versus

FYC01 2:08 to 3:19 (Not on the OST)

They begin the same and end the same, but after about 7-8 seconds the go off in completely different directions and the both sound natural. I can't seem to place an edit. 

Is this section an Alternate Take/Version? Or am I missing how to edit these two sections together?

EDIT:

I ended up beginning with the Main Title, then going to the FYC when the first micro-edit in the OST occurs. Then, when you get to around 2:08 in the FYC cue, switch back to the OST beginning at around 3:08 and let that go until around 3:51, then switch back to the FYC beginning at around 2:17. Wow. What a mess.

Not 100% sure that's actually correct, but it's a decent way to get both sections into one piece.

EDIT #2:

Found a second instance of the FYC being Microedited where the OST is not.

Compare:

OST01 4:53 to 4:58

FYC01 5:03 to 5:07

6 hours ago, zeekypttr5678 said:

Alright, am I missing something? 

I'm really curious as to why no one has mentioned the biggest difference between the OST version of the Opening cues and the FYC version.

Can someone explain to me what is happening in these two sections?

OST01 3:07 to 3:55 (Not on the FYC)

Versus

FYC01 2:08 to 3:19 (Not on the OST)

They begin the same and end the same, but after about 7-8 seconds the go off in completely different directions and the both sound natural. I can't seem to place an edit. 

Is this section an Alternate Take/Version? Or am I missing how to edit these two sections together?

EDIT:

I ended up beginning with the Main Title, then going to the FYC when the first micro-edit in the OST occurs. Then, when you get to around 2:08 in the FYC cue, switch back to the OST beginning at around 3:08 and let that go until around 3:51, then switch back to the FYC beginning at around 2:17. Wow. What a mess.

Not 100% sure that's actually correct, but it's a decent way to get both sections into one piece.

EDIT #2:

Found a second instance of the FYC being Microedited where the OST is not.

Compare:

OST01 4:53 to 4:58

FYC01 5:03 to 5:07

Easy - Williams recorded an Insert to replace a section of his original recording.  The FYC has the Insert added, the OST represents his original intentions.

44 minutes ago, Jay said:

Easy - Williams recorded an Insert to replace a section of his original recording.  The FYC has the Insert added, the OST represents his original intentions.

I suppose that's a possibility. Wish we had the sheets. I guess i'm just surprised no one has mentioned it yet. From reading this thread it seemed like the OST track was just an edited version of the FYC track, but I was in for a surprise. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, I was able to edit both sections together into one coherent piece and it sounds surprisingly good. So, if anyone would like to have both sections and have them flow (more than decently) into one another then edit as follows:

OST 1: 0:00 to somewhere before 2:58 (that's where the two pieces really deviate)

FYC 1: 1:39 to around 2:09

OST 1: 3:07.5 to around 3:51.5 (Going from here back to the next FYC section nicely is a bit hard for anyone more casual, but more experienced editors should do just fine.)

FYC 1: 2:17 to at least 3:15 

After that you can switch back to the OST with the exception of very small micro-edits that happen throughout the remainder of Part 1. However, make sure to use the OST to cover a microedit in the FYC near the ending of Part 1.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above editing is just an OPTION if there's anyone who wants both sections. They actually can edit together just fine, whether it's correct or not. So, if you want to hear BOTH and it not sound awful. You can try that. I liked both sections, so that's what I'm doing for now. For the current edit I'm doing I just want as much music as I can manage. I know I'll have to pick between some of the versions later on.

I've been sure to say in the my posts in the thread that I had only done a quick simple analysis and that others were welcome to find and post all the tinier differences.  I only have so much time to work on these things.  

So if you find anything else interesting, please share!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I've been sure to say in the my posts in the thread that I had only done a quick simple analysis and that others were welcome to find and post all the tinier differences.  I only have so much time to work on these things.  

So if you find anything else interesting, please share!

Will do! I can confirm 100% that the OST version of Snoke is not the version that plays under the 2nd Snoke scene. I've seen that debated around. The second Snoke scene has brass and has a big ending build when Snoke says "Bring her to me." The strings we hear in the OST may have been there and maybe the ending section was Added on. It also could simply be an Album Version and not actually used. Not sure exactly, but it definitely does not fully match the 2nd Snoke scene. Im not near the notes I took at the movie, so I'll double check to make sure if the OST version does play for a partial bit of the scene.

Wasn't blaming you at all by the way. I was just surprised that absolutely no one at all had mentioned it. Thought anyone else doing an edit would've run into this issue as well.

I've seen people mention that same bit of the opening cue being different between FYC and OST, but it was on a different forum.  You're the first to post about it here!

Having listened to this, I'm relieved really that my CD isn't being made obsolete after all, not just yet anyway. The extra music is nice of course, but none of it is really essential. The OST seems to be a pretty decent presentation as it is, or are there still some fabulous moments in the score which didn't make it onto either the OST or the FYC? 

The only really essential cue that is not on either release is the one of Kylo and Vader's helmet.  I love that ominous rendition of the Imperial March.  I have seen people bemoan the absence of the Falcon crash cue, but I don't really remember it sticking out to me at all.

The FYC PRETTY MUCH covered all the highlights from the score we had noticed from the film that wasn't on the OST.  If you have some extra time to spare right now, check out "The Resistance", "The Bombing Run", and the first minute and a half of "Ways of the Force" on the FYC for the biggest highlights that weren't on the OST but are on the FYC.

There are some other small things in the film that would be nice to have, like a unique variation of The Resistance theme during the briefing and the Imperial March quote for the scene with Vader's helmet.

Really, I just like to mix in some FYC tracks to create one long 90 minute program, rather than choosing either OST or FYC.  Look at the main post of this thread for that playlist.

The Resistance was a fantastic little moment, I agree. That would be nice to have in a playlist. 

I'd love to have the time or inclination to make the ideal chronological edit, but it's never gonna happen unfortunately. Plus I'd only ever accept the original microedits of cues; I generally don't enjoy fan made microedits made to cues in the name of filmic exactitude.

That's what I'm saying - I'm not directing you to a guide where you can make your own edit (IE, opening up a WAV editor to chop up the files at certain points).  I'm saying the main post ALSO contains an edit-free playlist; IE, taking whole tracks from each release, without having to do any in-track editing. A quick way to get a longer playlist.  Much of Williams OST arrangements are maintained!

Here are some continued findings from my on-going edit (that I have not seen posted here)

FYC02 "The Attack On Jakku Village Part 2" vs OST Counterpart:

BOTH tracks feature edits. The FYC is micro-edited in some places where the OST is not and the OST is micro-edited in some places where the FYC is not. I think there are about 3 instances where you have to switch between them to get the full performance. Additionally a section has some alternate mixing (0:35 to 0:42), which I prefer. It is the same performance (based on the Orchestra Noise) but it is mixed better (IMO)

FYC03 "The Scavenger" vs OST02:

I haven't figured out where the OST opening is from yet, but it certainly sounds tacked on from somewhere else. When lining the two up the FYC section from 0:00 to around 0:18 (when the piano comes in) is stretched. I thought that the OST was microedited, but it is not. The OST has this section at the original tempo, the FYC must have been digitally slowed down for the film. It is the exact same performance (same Orchestra Noise). There is also a micro-edit in the FYC track, near the end, that you can restore using the OST. EDIT: It turns out the FYC also has some stretching in the ending as well. There is still a microedit, but it'd be best to use the OST for most of this track and just use the FYC for the clean ending.

I'll post more as I edit.

I had assumed the OST opening of The Scavenger was meant to accompany the image of Rey in the Star Destroyer, but was simply not used in the film, and so would still fit where it is on that track.  It just too perfectly suggests that loneliness in a larger, hollow structure that is conveyed by the film's images.

1 minute ago, Taikomochi said:

I had assumed the OST opening of The Scavenger was meant to accompany the image of Rey in the Star Destroyer, but was simply not used in the film, and so would still fit where it is on that track.  It just too perfectly suggests that loneliness in a larger, hollow structure that is conveyed by the film's images.

It's possible, but judging by the clean opening of the FYC track, it still is not meant to be with "The Scavenger" cue. It might be a short separate cue that may have been made for that scene.

I think it goes elsewhere though. In my opinion, the build up beginning at 0:33 and ending at 0:37 on the OST sounds a tad sinister for the scene we're looking at.

I've been wondering if that music could be from another part of the film too.  I just can't think of anywhere it would fit.

Rey exploring the Star Destroyer seems like the best fit.  Though I doubt it was meant to connect to the next cue like it does in the OST track, I think that's album-editing.  I think the FYC presents a true clean opening.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've been wondering if that music could be from another part of the film too.  I just can't think of anywhere it would fit.

Rey exploring the Star Destroyer seems like the best fit.  Though I doubt it was meant to connect to the next cue like it does in the OST track, I think that's album-editing.  I think the FYC presents a true clean opening.

I agree. I'm going to keep the opening in the back of my mind while I'm editing. I'll also keep a lookout for it when I see the film next (wether it is actually IN the film and we're missing it, or a better place for it to go)

EDIT: 

FYC04 "Lunchtime" vs OST02 "The Scavenger":

FYC is edited and I believe has also has been digitally retimed. Orchestra Noise matches again, but the tracks are just not quite lining up, they get of sync pretty quickly. FYC is faster than the OST.

3 minutes ago, steb74 said:

There is some similar material about 43 seconds into Maz's Counsel.

Good catch! Perhaps it fits somewhere around there? 

EDIT: In the film I mean, not in the cue itself.

Yeah it's difficult to know at the moment, I can't remember if there are any other similar passages in the movie that didn't make it onto the OST or FYC.

1 minute ago, steb74 said:

Yeah it's difficult to know at the moment, I can't remember if there are any other similar passages in the movie that didn't make it onto the OST or FYC.

I'll pay close attention to this sequence next time I see it.

Just now, Taikomochi said:

I am almost certain the opening of The Scavenger is not heard in the film.

You're probably right, but it can't hurt to look around. I'd at least like to see what exactly is happening when the similar section from Maz's Counsel occurs in the film. That may give us a hint as to what that Woodwind bit is meant for.