The Force Awakens For Your Consideration (FYC) Album

Jay

Sorry, I misread before.

The wind part in question from Maz's Counsel is when she is talking to Finn about seeing the same eyes in different people, wanting to run, etc.

So is the similar idea in The Scavenger related to Finn? ....or a more global and philosophical idea, something even related to Rey's life?

A deleted scene for Finn perhaps contemplating his escape?

1 hour ago, Taikomochi said:

I am almost certain the opening of The Scavenger is not heard in the film, at any point.

I feel the same. We can't know but it sounds like JW wrote that music to play while Rey is exploring the Star Destroyer. The way it builds right until Rey pulls down her wrap and puts up her goggles works perfectly as a transition from mysterious build up to the intro of Rey. It was likely removed when JJ felt the film had too much music and needed some quiet room to breath.

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The sequence works just as effectively with silence as it would with music, in different ways. Just like all the scenes Williams scored in Empire that ended up being dropped entirely.

Agreed.  Though the same can't be said of the stretch of silence for the Boyega/Ford/Stormtrooper scenes in between "Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle" and "The Abduction".  The Stormtrooper sparring match really could have used musical accompaniment. 

Agreed. Spotting was weird there and made the whole sequence feel disjointed. It would've worked really well as a unified 8 or 9 minute action cue, rolling from one idea to the next before climaxing with the tragic rendition of Rey's Theme as she's abducted.

2 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I feel the same. We can't know but it sounds like JW wrote that music to play while Rey is exploring the Star Destroyer. The way it builds right until Rey pulls down her wrap and puts up her goggles works perfectly as a transition from mysterious build up to the intro of Rey. It was likely removed when JJ felt the film had too much music and needed some quiet room to breath.

If this is the case then I'm glad the cue was dropped. The scene is far better without that cue.

15 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Agreed. Spotting was weird there and made the whole sequence feel disjointed. It would've worked really well as a unified 8 or 9 minute action cue, rolling from one idea to the next before climaxing with the tragic rendition of Rey's Theme as she's abducted.

It's possible that Williams DID write music for all that, and then JJ preferred the final cut of the film to not have it, and it didn't appear on the OST.

There could be some really special gems in the hour of music we haven't heard yet!

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's possible that Williams DID write music for all that, and then JJ preferred the final cut of the film to not have it, and it didn't appear on the OST.

There could be some really special gems in the hour of music we haven't heard yet!

Good point. I really hope we hear all that music someday

I'm positive we'll get to listen to all that music. The OST album is doing fairly well, and if the score is nominated to the oscars and other accolades to keep it on the spotlight, the expanded The Force Awakens will be coming sooner than we would expect, probably before Episode VIII.

There's no guarantee a 2CD  expanded score would have any completely unreleased cues included, though.  It could just be all the takes chosen for use in the film, but from the recording sessions rather than the final film dub like the FYC.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's no guarantee a 2CD  expanded score would have any complete unreleased cues included, though.  It could just be all the takes chosen for use in the film, but from the recording sessions rather than the final film dub like the FYC.

This is what I would assume the Expanded would be. Unless they're feeling REALLY generous (which they never tend to do).

I have a feeling they might do an exception this time, as it is a known fact a good amount of music was not used in the film. I wouldn't expect ALL unused cues, but surely a couple of interesting ones. 

Wouldn't part of any expanded release's marketability rest on things like, "featuring 30 minutes of never before heard music not included in the film!" followed by some incredible unheard Force Theme rendition?

I can hear the commercial voiceover in my head already. It's the same kind of marketing they use when promoting Bluray exclusive deleted scenes for popular films.

I'm just not sure saying the release has the complete score from the film ONLY would sell as well as the former.

Wouldn't anyone have killed to hear the alternate Imperial March from Attack of the Clones that everyone praises as spectactular? They should just release the expanded score = Complete, with a disc of the unused/unheard music.

6 hours ago, RPurton said:

Wouldn't anyone have killed to hear the alternate Imperial March from Attack of the Clones that everyone praises as spectactular? They should just release the expanded score = Complete, with a disc of the unused/unheard music.

There's a version of The Imperial March that I haven't heard! :eh:

Yea, I'm sure any future version would have the original in the bonus track section and the one with the Imperial March Insert added in the main program.

The imperial march works way better in that scene than what JW wrote originally. I like that the ending sequence as heard in the film goes through so many themes and finishes with two huge thematic statements, one of evil and one of love. The non-thematic fanfare has a bit of finality to it but is otherwise unremarkable. Plus, that's a new recording of the imperial march isn't it? It sounds really nice.

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

Don't get too excited, it's going to sell for far more than its current auction price

Yup!!

Let's make it fun...

I say it'll go for 630$

The side bar of this site says there are 447 most online members.  If we all put in $2.25, we'll win the CD.  We can put in an extra $50 to have John Williams deliver it himself.  :john:

$863.00

14 minutes ago, karelm said:

The side bar of this site says there are 447 most online members.  If we all put in $2.25, we'll win the CD.  We can put in an extra $50 to have John Williams deliver it himself.  :john:

I've suggested similar things on other message boards. In the end, people are always too paranoid or too greedy to make it work.

I did group buys of the Tintin, War Horse, and Super 8 FYCs and it worked out great.  But this FYC will sell for way too much money to even attempt it.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I did group buys of the Tintin, War Horse, and Super 8 FYCs and it worked out great.  But this FYC will sell for way too much money to even attempt it.

What if there were like 20 of us?

I'd be down for it.

EDIT:

An update on some random findings from my edit.

FYC07 "Follow Me and The Falcon" vs OST Counterparts

The FYC (Film Version) definitely has some digital retiming going in "Follow Me" while also extending some microedits. Probably won't be easy to restore these microedits with the speed changes going on. "The Falcon" has some microedits restored (this has been mentioned), but it also has some looping (see 3:51.5 which is 1 second repeated twice). There are also some brief alternate passages. For example, Compare the brief section beginning at 0:46 on OST07 "The Falcon" to the same section in FYC07 at 3:59. The OST has a more menacing tone and ends by going down with the orchestra. The FYC is more heroic and ends by going upwards. Upon further listening, it turns out that the FYC section I was just referring to was TRACKED! The exact phrase plays again at 4:56! In this, I opted to dub the FYC Section over with the OST section. Oh boy it just gets better and better. The OST section that I just referenced is used LATER in the FYC track at 5:17! This whole sequence is VERY chopped up.

The FYC action material is a mess. The Falcon and Ways of the Force are just head-scratchers; you really wonder what the hell happened in the last month of post-production that necessitated such complete bastardisation of the music. Especially when Abrams seemed desperate to avoid prequel-esque editing of the music for his film.

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

The FYC action material is a mess. The Falcon and Ways of the Force are just head-scratchers; you really wonder what the hell happened in the last month of post-production that necessitated such complete bastardisation of the music. Especially when Abrams seemed desperate to avoid prequel-esque editing of the music for his film.

Yeah exactly. Things happen though. Although the editing here is pretty solid and at least they recorded some inserts it seems. I have heard far worse jumbles than this. "An Unpleasant Incident With A Train" from Lemony Snicket is one of the most cobbled together bits of music I've ever heard. About 80% of the entire track was replaced by tracked music and one overdub. So, at least nothing like that happened here!

EDIT: 

Another update on my edit.

OST09 "The Rathars!" vs FYC08 Counterpart.

I ended up doing another inaccurate edit, just so I could have more music. So, my edit is not correct by any means, but it works if you want the differing sections from the OST and FYC. Basically, I used the OST up until about 1:22. At this point I switched to the beginning of FYC08 to get the extended sequence that the OST microedited. However, the FYC has a microedited section beginning at around 0:27 seconds. At that point I switched back to OST09 to the same section (1:34 ish) so that I had the full performance. I stayed with OST until about 1:52 to restore a section that was edited out. At 1:52 I begin to take my own creative liberties. At 1:52 I switch to the FYC track (at around 0:31-ish and stay with the FYC until it ends. At around 1:12 I have the OST come back in beginning at around 1:59. Then I let the OST play out until the end. Not correct at work, but it kind of works. Again, the goal is to get the most music out of it.

After the Rathar track I simply divided up Maz's Counsel and Finn's confession and used the FYC for certain cues and edits of the OST for others. I pretty much just followed the guide. There wasn't anything spectacular to note as far I can remember, pretty simple stuff. 

FYC13 "Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle" vs OST13

This cue had some significant editing going on. For my edit, I used the FYC13 for the first 1:11. Then at around 1:11.5 Kylo Ren's theme comes in. This performance is on the OST, but the OST uses the original tempo. The FYC has been sped up. So at 1:11.5 on the FYC I went to 0:50 on the OST. I then stuck with the OST until around 1:13, then I switched back to the FYC at around 1:30. This restores some of the microediting on the OST. However, I only stuck with the FYC until about 1:38. At this point, switch back to the OST at around 1:20.5. The FYC is microedited where the OST is not. Stuck with the OST for about 8 seconds, and at 1:28, switch back to the FYC at around 1:44.5. I then let the FYC play out to the end, with the exception of tagging on the OST ending which has the low strings play out and fade. This edit should get the most music, while also restoring the performed speed of Kylo Ren's theme.

On 5/1/2016 at 10:18 PM, MikeTroxell said:

$1138.00

Hehehe...

22 hours ago, amh1219 said:

I've suggested similar things on other message boards. In the end, people are always too paranoid or too greedy to make it work.

If by "other message boards", you mean that Shrine thing... Can understand why people wouldn't trust others...

1 hour ago, Drax said:

That eBay seller has a fair bit more negative feedback than what I'd be comfortable when parting with that much.

Especially after reading his or her replies to the feedback.

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Forums that enable and promote the distribution of bootlegs can never be seen as trustworthy.

I'm sure no one on JWfan would ever be associated with such a place!

Well, apparently, amh1219 is! Ban him!