The Force Awakens For Your Consideration (FYC) Album

Jay

2 hours ago, Zaralyth said:

Yes. I hadn't listened to either for a while, but as soon as I turned on this track (it was the first one I listened to) it was easy to distinguish that it was better in the range of dynamics, it wasn't loud and obtrusive in my ears, the brass is very organic as it would sound in real life. They're not sessions but it's probably as close as we'll ever get. It is very good mastering. PROPER mastering in my opinion. 

I think there's an explanation for this difference. They've mastered both CDs differently for two different demographics. Those receiving the FYC would be wealthy industry people who can afford to own high-end hi-fi systems, so the CD has been mastered with these people in mind. However the OST is intended for the masses. It's the ghetto version that's been compressed more because most people who don't live in Tinseltown don't own hi-fi systems and demand their music to be more fully audible through their earbuds, laptop speakers and car stereos.

It makes sense though! John Williams' team would want the score presented as best as possible to the Academy to boost his chances of winning. But they couldn't give a shit about the plebs and their budget quality earbuds.

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

The OST mastering of March of the Resistance sounds really offensive to my ears for some reason. The brass at the end, especially.

The March is a concert suite and therefore it's not on the FYC at all....

Well, aside from on the End Credits.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

I think you're wildly overestimating how seriously Academy members take the Best Original Score category there, Drax. :P

The nominees and winner of the oscar for best original score is determined by the music branch, not the entire academy members.  That is the same for all categories except best picture which is voted on from all members since the idea is the film succeeds in multiple disciplines.  The music branch academy members are made up from a variety of backgrounds with stylistic ranges but are all supposed to be prominent representatives of the industry with recognized accomplishments.  It is sort of like a jury of accomplished peers selecting each winner (except best film where everyone has a say).  So Spielberg does not vote on best original score.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's not right.

The nominees are decided by the music branch, yes.  But the winner is decided by ALL voters.

Actually, never mind, you're right.  The music branch selected the nominees then it is open.

Just now, Romão said:

In a way, that makes the nomination more prestigious than the actual win

Yep.

2 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

If that helps you sleep better, sure. :P

Considering how I've heard Academy members describe their voting techniques, yes.

The prime examples are having an assistant or family member do the actual voting and deciding that a movie is Oscar worthy, by not wanting to vote for the movie in one of the major categories (Picture, Director, and Acting categories) so they find a "minor" category (because, who actually cares about those categories) and vote for the movie rather than that aspect of the movie.  (Uh, how do I keep a straight face and keep from strangling the ignoranus [sic] before me?)

It's how I've made sense of more than one Best Score Oscar.  (I love me some Goldenthal, but c'mon: his music appealing to the masses?  Not bloody likely.)

As for a FLAC or ALAC (or ALEX, whatever) version of TFA FYC disc to be posted on-line: check your favorite places for acquiring such items, it'll be there in time.

23 minutes ago, Zaralyth said:

My Stax SR-009 agrees. Brick walled audio just sounds gross and obtrusive. But a proper master sounds absolutely phenomenal, beautiful, astronomical on these headphones.

Stax SR-009?  :worship:  How did you land one of those??

11 minutes ago, karelm said:

Stax SR-009?  :worship:  How did you land one of those??

That's one expensive pair of headphones. :o

So question for y'all. If I were to make a mostly chronological edit, but wanted to use the OST Snoke track to represent his second scene, where would I put it?

1 hour ago, amh1219 said:

So question for y'all. If I were to make a mostly chronological edit, but wanted to use the OST Snoke track to represent his second scene, where would I put it?

After Han&Leia and before The Bombing Run

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You aren't allowed to ask that on this forum.

It has leaked on "the usual sites".

Quick question of semantics: it's not allowed for users to ask about where to download leaked things, but what if the leaker themself were to post the link here for all to enjoy? Would that be against the rules? Just curious.

Please read the Forum Rules here:

08 - Discussion of music CDs before they are in stores (ie when they "leak" to the internet) is allowed, as is discussion of leaked recording sessions, sheet music, and other bootlegs. HOWEVER:

a) You may not post a link to, or name of, any site where this material can be illegally downloaded.

b) You may not offer on the public forums to send this material to anybody who PMs you.

c) You may not ask on the public forums for somebody to PM you a link to this material.

In other words: On the public forums, please discuss the music only, and not where to get it. This rule will be strictly enforced.

That is a matter for the Admins and Mods to decide.  I would hope that anyone planning on even hinting as to such a posting would PM the powers that be for pre-blessing.

Its a murky point.  While the material is readily available for free, it is at a lower quality.  And that difference in quality is what may lean the big kahunas to decide against such posting.

Jesus Christ. Guys, just talk about the music here, not how to get it. It's very simple.

If you are so clueless as to not know the world's biggest film score bootlegging site then please Google it or try asking the person you know has it privately. No more discussion about this on the public forum!

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Jesus Christ. Guys, just talk about the music here, not how to get it. It's very simple.

If you are so clueless as to not know the world's biggest film score bootlegging site then please Google it or try asking the person you know has it privately. No more discussion about this on the public forum!

What?  @Zaralyth kindly said they'd make the tracks from the rare FYC lossless soundtrack available. None of the discussion before raised eyebrows so I was just asking for clarification on the rules for something of that nature.