The Force Awakens For Your Consideration (FYC) Album

Jay

It's completely accurate, if that's what you mean.  And it covers the extent of my knowledge; I haven't done any kind of second-by-second analysis myself, to point out all the microedits, etc.  Personally I'd find the spreadsheet easier to use than the forum post for editing purposes.

Also not noted in the main post yet is the alternate minute of the Jakku village attack, as pointed out here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25940-the-force-awakens-fyc-release-discussion-film-spoilers-allowed/&page=8#comment-1211500

Ok listened to the FYC fpr the first time.

The sound quality is amazing. Even better then the OST. Though some tracks seem to have more noise from the orchestra. Especially the end credits.

Some excellent unreleased music. Worthy of an expanded edit indeed. Some of the cuts and edits in the FYC are very unsatisfactory so I can't imagine ever listening to it again (though it's nowhere near as bad as the TPM UE ironically).

Not sure if I want an all out chronological edit or just the OST with the full unreleased tracks shoved in.

I much prefer the FYC version of "I Can Fly Anything."  It has a superior but abridged version of Poe's theme.  It needs a LOT of love, though.  Some subtle films edits sprinkled in (that may not bother most) and some looping that needs removed. Still, it's worth spending time on.

I will continue to use the OST as the primary source of music with the unreleased cues from the FYC included.

I have listened to the OST dozens of times and it is a great listening experience - I don't want to mess too much with that.

The exceptions to this are the combined Follow Me/Falcon track which never should have been split, and the stronger version of Rey's theme at the end of The Abduction which I'll use to replace the end of that OST track.

I think I'll use the OST version of Attack of Jakku. For Torn Apart, I'll probably use the OST version until Han's fall, and then edit in the FYC version from that point to the end.

I need to compare more closely the two versions of I Can Fly Anything before I can decide.

I'm definitely using the OST version of The Ways of the Force. There is a horrible edit at 0:32 of the FYC version that is as bad as a TMP UE edit.

Sorry, Piatti is the italian word for (Clash) Cymbals I think.

AB means compare next to each other, doesn't it?

But did you catch that the 2 transitions aren't exactly the same?

20 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Sorry, Piatti is the italian word for (Clash) Cymbals I think.

AB means compare next to each other, doesn't it?

But did you catch that the 2 transitions aren't exactly the same?

I didn't know what a piatti was, but I assumed from my own experience with the OST track, so rest assured that we heard the same thing.  The cymbal crash does sound late on the OST.

Which do you guys prefer?

Torn Apart OST or Torn Apart FYC.

Right now I would go with the OST. because it contains the full statement of that building "death music", which is truncated on the FYC, which also is missing that kickass version of The Force Theme near the end.

For The Ways Of The Force I would again defer to the OST. The cutting back and forth on the FYC means it really never gains much momentum. I fully understand why Williams chose to separate the scherzo on the OST.

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Which do you guys prefer?

Torn Apart OST or Torn Apart FYC.

Right now I would go with the OST. because it contains the full statement of that building "death music", which is truncated on the FYC, which also is missing that kickass version of The Force Theme near the end.

For The Ways Of The Force I would again defer to the OST. The cutting back and forth on the FYC means it really never gains much momentum. I fully understand why Williams chose to separate the scherzo on the OST.

I prefer my edits of both. For Torn Apart, I combined both releases to get rid of as many edits as possible. For the alternate section corresponding to Han's impalement, I used the film version from the FYC and then reverted immediately to the longer crescendo from the OST.

For The Ways of the Force, I spliced the FYC scherzo material in where it ostensibly belongs, between the two chunks of duel music.

OST for me as well.  I like some of the extra music in FYC "Torn Apart" but it is all very awkward sounding how it is inserted into the other music, especially since they are such short pieces.

13 minutes ago, Datameister said:

For the alternate section corresponding to Han's impalement, I used the film version from the FYC and then reverted immediately to the longer crescendo from the OST.

But the FYC version is missing the first phrase of that theme. The OST has it complete.

I prefer the OST versions of both, also, although I managed to make a decent edit with Rey gets the lightsaber from the OST, and then going directly to the scherzo and the rest of the duel on the FYC.

For listening, I still consider the OST version of The Ways of the Force far more effective.

I think what would make an extended of the track work better would be if the had the unreleased music that plays after Rey gets the saber and before the X-Wings begin their attack (it covers shots of the pilots discussing what to do right before attacking)

Yeah.

We need MORE music!

I'm guessing that Williams never really scores a fully completed and lock edit of the lightsaber duel / X-Wing attack, but rather treated them separately and the two were edited together in the film.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I think what would make an extended of the track work better would be if the had the unreleased music that plays after Rey gets the saber and before the X-Wings begin their attack (it covers shots of the pilots discussing what to do right before attacking)

Totally agree. For some reason, this is one of my favourite unreleased portions of the score. 

1 minute ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

I'm pretty content with just the OST, although the FYC is a nice bonus.

According to the audio gurus on this forum, the FYC has better dynamic range. I'll listen to it later to hear if it's any different.

Jason, in your editing guide, why did you recommend using the FYC version of Finale?

The version of The Resistance March used these is identical to the OST track, while the shorter version on the OST is a different performance.

>shrug< It was just a quick guide, every individual person is welcome to do whatever they personally prefer

I think the FYC version of the end titles makes sense when you don't have the concert arrangement of the March of the Resistance elsewhere in the disc, which is the case for the FYC album.

I also use the OST version in my combined edit.