The Force Awakens For Your Consideration (FYC) Album

Jay

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

But the FYC version is missing the first phrase of that theme. The OST has it complete.

From a dramatic perspective, I don't like the music playing straight through. You need that subtle darkening heard on the FYC, followed by the supremely suspenseful silence that immediately precedes the ignition of Ren's lightsaber. I agree that the crescendo deserves to have all of its phrases included, but the descent into silence is even more important to me.

Ok. I prefer to just have the music rather then film edits. And I love how the gentle material suddenly turns threatening.

Made myself a version according to the editing guide, but with some personal preferences retained. I also kept the "concert tracks" in the main program

Knipsel 2.JPG

I'd love to know Williams' original cue names!

For most of the unreleased cues, I used dialogue from the scene to name them

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Ok. I prefer to just have the music rather then film edits. And I love how the gentle material suddenly turns threatening.

I much prefer to have the music as recorded/intended, too. But in this case, we're most likely looking at two different versions Williams created.

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

After the terrible terrorist attack perpetrated by Stefan Cosman, the police searched his computer and found that he listened to film music, more specifically songs like Kill Them All and The Immolation Scene.

The film music community has always been a very secluded group with strange habits and customs. Many people have suggested that all its members should be registered with the government. For a safer and more secure world.

I've been advocating for this for years but nobody listens!

4 hours ago, Datameister said:

I much prefer to have the music as recorded/intended, too. But in this case, we're most likely looking at two different versions Williams created.

No. Very unlikely.

I believe the FYC version was created editoriallly.

Well there obviously was some editing done in one or both; we start with the same recording, then each goes into material not heard in the other, and then we return to the same recording. So yes, editing happened. But it's unclear what Williams' intentions for the scene were, and whether one of these versions contains an insert or they're both simply cut down from a longer original. My money's on the former.

What's the deal with the 60 Minutes music not being on either release? Was this musical moment in the film at all?

Specifically the part JJ hums with reference to "we may need to repeat that passage in case we take longer to get into the transport." Referring to the opening scene I believe.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

What's the deal with the 60 Minutes music not being on either release? Was this musical moment in the film at all?

Specifically the part JJ hums with reference to "we may need to repeat that passage in case we take longer to get into the transport." Referring to the opening scene I believe.

Seems like that music was replaced wholesale for the more propulsive music used in the film (Attack on Jakku FYC approx. 0:23-0:36). The passage JJ refers to was probably set to score when the transport is flying towards the screen. You can actually hear it on the soundtrack on Jedi Steps/End Credits at 4:13 (abandoned First Order motif?).

Sounds like there might actually be a few edits in in the opening tack now that I listen to it. FYC at approx. 0:15, 0:23, 0:50. Insert?

Also in the longer 60 Minutes video they play the beginning of the opening but then they (60 Minutes) cuts to a bit here

that you can hear in the OST at 2:59 but not in the FYC (or the film).

Sounds like it was replaced entirely by an insert/revised cue. And yeah, I noticed the motif appears with the other First Order material in End Titles, so it seems like an abandoned/undeveloped motif.

Maybe this is Captain Phasma's Theme! The rumours were true!

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Sounds like it was replaced entirely by an insert/revised cue. And yeah, I noticed the motif appears with the other First Order material in End Titles, so it seems like an abandoned/undeveloped motif.

Maybe this is Captain Phasma's Theme! The rumours were true!

Being a JW obsessive, I've actually thought about why the change was made. I think maybe JW wanted the first thematic statement to come later with Kylo Ren's shuttle descending on Jakku. Everything before that is either action music or atmospheric. Or JW and JJ just wanted the faster rhythmic strings we have now in place of this First Order sounding material from 60 minutes.

I'm super curious about the string swell we can hear on that 60 minutes video at 0:33 and 1:20 specifically. The first time we hear it, it sounds like it comes right after the typical quiet music after the main crawl fades, that would put it right before the now removed statement of the First Order theme, before the ominous string build up. But I swear that string swell is actually in the movie right before the actual attack on the Jakku village. Can someone confirm? Is it just an edit by 60 minutes or am I way off?

When two titles are similar when comparing the OST/FYC, I have an inclination to opt for the OST-version.

I am of course very thankful that we have been fortunate to have access to the FYC. First via the disnley-link and then props should be given to one JWfan-member in particular. ;)

That being said, I would prefer if an extended version would be released that combined the OST-material with FYC-material. (And while we're at it why not add some unreleased music. For example what Jason and Scarpia are discussing a few posts earlier about the "pilots discussing"-music: I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I've only seen the movie once and am unable to identify music on the OST or FYC that is missing. But since it's pointed out as a highlight, I'd love to hear it.) With a proper expanded CD the fans could actually own the music and import it into itunes in any lossless format they'd like.

I think it's curious though.... Everybody in the industry seem to hail John Williams as the greatest film composer of our day. His legacy reaches back over 50 years. Yet, studios seem reluctant to give his albums any kind of love. Just look at how the Hans Zimmer's "Intersteller" was released. "Interstellar" was another hotly anticipated sci-fi movei ny a talanted compser. Getting all the tracks was appearantly a mess with different editions having different material which were further consfused by regional restrictions, but at least fans were given the oppertunity to BUY the music in various standard/deluxe packaging. Why not the same treatment for JW given his status in the industry as well as Star Wars TFA now being crowned as the most anticiptated movie of all time?

2 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I'm super curious about the string swell we can hear on that 60 minutes video at 0:33 and 1:20 specifically. The first time we hear it, it sounds like it comes right after the typical quiet music after the main crawl fades, that would put it right before the now removed statement of the First Order theme, before the ominous string build up. But I swear that string swell is actually in the movie right before the actual attack on the Jakku village. Can someone confirm? Is it just an edit by 60 minutes or am I way off?

Don't you have the FYC? The exact music used in the film for the opening scene is the first track on that.

And the music heard in the 60 Minutes video is an unreleased/unused alternate cue with the slate number 1M1A (Free Version). Parts of it are the same as what we hear in the OST and FYC versions. It seems to me that the end of the cue is that crescendo heard on the OST - I think they dropped it in there just to use as a transition into the music for the landing troops.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Don't you have the FYC? The exact music used in the film for the opening scene is the first track on that.

Oh right! Well, maybe I'm not hearing it but I can't find it on the FYC release. But it is on the CD release beginning at 2:59 of the first track right before some propulsive brass kicks in. Maybe that's where JW had it playing in an earlier version of the opening and the 60 minutes clip is just edited to make it seem like it follows the end of the main crawl? I don't know but the first time I heard it I kind of liked a lush string swell following the mysterious descent into a star field. It felt like a kind of welcoming return to Star Wars before the First Order sounding strings and trumpet bit.

Someone PMed me a version he made, it looked perfect; I replied and said he should post it in the thread for all to enjoy but haven't heard from him since

There are fan-made versions in the main post of this thread if you prefer those

On 17/1/2016 at 1:42 PM, Jay said:

I think what would make an extended of the track work better would be if the had the unreleased music that plays after Rey gets the saber and before the X-Wings begin their attack (it covers shots of the pilots discussing what to do right before attacking)

Jason, I just realised this music is actually in the FYC, as it's tracked music from the first sequence! 

It's on Attack on the Jakku Village, Part 1, at 2:49 to 3:03, and then jumping to 3:06 to 3:15. After that, the scherzo begins. In a custom edit, we could have now the complete finale.

Wow, I didn't notice it was tracked; Nice catch!  Explains why the FYC track starts where it does.

And no, the finale wouldn't be complete because we don't have the music for the Snoke scene that takes place during it.

(Not to mention we don't have whatever Williams originally wrote for the parts replaced by the tracked Jakku Village music just mentioned)

Oh, quite true. That Snoke bit is the only thing left for us to have the complete finale as it appears in the film, then.

I imagine there must be a chaos of different versions of cues recorded. I'm really curious to listen to those several minutes of unused music.

31 minutes ago, Scarpia said:

Jason, I just realised this music is actually in the FYC, as it's tracked music from the first sequence! 

It's on Attack on the Jakku Village, Part 1, at 2:49 to 3:03, and then jumping to 3:06 to 3:15. After that, the scherzo begins. In a custom edit, we could have now the complete finale.

Yes it definitely is! Much thanks. I figured it was tracked (sounded a bit familiar) but couldn't place where.

I'm not quite sure how to explain this idea but I feel like TFA score has the same texture all the way throughout, similar to ANH where the orchestration and "feel" is consistent throughout everything the music does. I contrast this with the score for TPM which has very different textures for Tatooine for example or Darth Maul or the Gungans or even between major action pieces. Maybe it's about orchestration but maybe also more variation in how the different parts of the orchestra are used. For me it puts TFA closer to the OT than the PT. Does anyone have a similar opinion?

Listening to TFA and ESB side by side, they're closely related in many ways, yeah.  And, the former is much more satisfyingly performed.  No numerous flubs and intonation issues as are found throughout the latter.  

I mean, some of the strings during the ESB opening crawl... how the hell can anyone prefer that performance to the new one?

I am being serious though.  It's surprising how performance standards have changed just over a few decades.  Whether you're in London or Los Angeles or anywhere else.   

Those ''imperfections'' in the performances are part of their charm and make them feel more real. Like, sometimes when I listen to TPM, for instance, it sounds too polished. The original SW is a little rough around the edges and I prefer it that way.