The Official Thread for the Church of Oscar-winning Director and (soon to be) Sir Christopher Nolan

crocodile

Yeah, I just find it encouraging insofar as it's another indication - along with him name-dropping Bresson in that earlier interview - that he might be trying to say more with less.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Has Nolan ever put out alternate cuts of his films before?  He's never had less than full creative control to my knowledge, so why would he have to?

It's apparently increasingly rare for directors to get final cut privilege at studios these days but I can't imagine Nolan hadn't secured it in his contract by Inception at the latest. 

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes, a director who is very famous for bloated self-indulgence making a film well under 2 hours is very significant.

He's known for bloated self indulgence?  I mean, wordy screenplays maybe, but....

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Its clear he has learned from his obvious failure of Interstellar to communicate to the audience. And he's addressed the glaring shortcomings his previous works have shown.

Right, TGP?

"A good, but ultimately deeply flawed film."

Soundtrack will be out on the 21st of July.

dunkirk_sdtk_cover_01_1425px_rgb_300dpi.

1. The Mole
2. We Need Our Army Back
3. Shivering Soldier
4. Supermarine
5. The Tide
6. Regimental Brothers
7. Impulse
8. Home
9. The Oil
10. Variation 15 (Dunkirk)
11. End Titles

Karol

• 3 weeks later...

Film journalists say it's incredible. It's not about dialog (there isn't much of it) or characters but it's an experience movie.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2017 at 4:23 AM, Alexcremers said:

No, I want to 'experience' it so I'm gonna watch it at home. ;)

I would have figured that you'd jump at the opportunity of a 70mm screening. Nolan and Tarantino are the only filmmakers keeping film alive!

On 7/11/2017 at 2:22 PM, BloodBoal said:

Who the hell is Alicia Malone?

Alicia Malone is a Film Reporter, TV Host, Producer, Writer, Editor, and all around film geek.

Possibly a fake redhead. I certainly want to call bullshit, but since the IMDb forums no longer exist, I can't discuss it anywhere other than JWFan.

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I would have figured that you'd jump at the opportunity of a 70mm screening. Nolan and Tarantino are the only filmmakers keeping film alive!

Like I said so many times before (why don't people listen to each other?), ever since the rise of the huge concrete multiplexes, theatrical film projection sucks in Belgium. As a result, I prefer to watch movies on my Plasma screen. I want color, sharpness and contrast! I think I deserve it!

Though I admit I haven't checked out the local IMAX room for ages.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
56 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

new score by Zimmer.

And even more overwrought than the actual soundtrack!;):lol:

On 7/24/2017 at 12:08 AM, Koray Savas said:

Nolan and Tarantino are the only filmmakers keeping film alive!

Meh.

If Mel Gibson, by far the most old-fashioned out of the three, has moved to digital, that’s really saying something.

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Chris Nolan is incapable of doing anything wrong. That's his curse. That's why some people hate him so much. His ascension is indeed The Second Coming.

Karol

His ascension is his ascension. His return would be the second coming. As far as I'm concerned, he hasn't come once, yet.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

His ascension is his ascension. His return would be the second coming. As far as I'm concerned, he hasn't come once, yet.

Go to your Zimmer!

Karol

For those who haven’t seen it, here’s a comparison video between the 2007 Blu-ray release of 2001 and the new Nolan “restoration”:

It looks like they ran the film through a bad Instagram filter. If this is indeed how the “restored” version appears, I doubt Kubrick would approve of it. 

Good fucking lord. Anyone who works on something like this should be forbidden to go near any old archived film strips again. Even their own, yes, Jim Cameron, looking at your new green skin colors.

I very much doubt the 1968 colours were adhering to the very modern and ugly orange and teal colour scheme. Somehow the Kubrick-supervised Criterion transfer doesn't look like someone literally pissed all over it. Him being an infamous perfectionist who probably wouldn't change his mind at any whim of stupid modern trends, I think that says something.