The Official Thread for the Church of Oscar-winning Director and (soon to be) Sir Christopher Nolan

crocodile

BTW, I once read the articles on 2001: ASO and the standard Blu-ray version (or even the older DVD version) was actually never restored. So Nolan's 'unrestored version' is kinda fishy.

2 hours ago, John said:

For those who haven’t seen it, here’s a comparison video between the 2007 Blu-ray release of 2001 and the new Nolan “restoration”:

It looks like they ran the film through a bad Instagram filter. If this is indeed how the “restored” version appears, I doubt Kubrick would approve of it. 

Yuck. It's the same formaldehyde yellow as in Interstellar, Dunkirk and SPECTRE. Has Nolan done a Modigliani and got himself hooked on absinthe? Did Hoytema have a hand in this?

Wait, didn't Nolan specifically say they didn't do any digital color nonsense?  Could it be you guys just don't like how the film actually looks?

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Colors on old celluloid prints degrade over time, which means they often have to be boosted for new releases.

Good thing the old Technicolor ones don't.

2 minutes ago, Sharky said:

So we are looking at prints taken from a degraded 70mm negative?

I think so. Celluloid nitrate turned yellow.

Oh my... I didn't realise we had so many experts on here. I'm sure Stanley Kubrick would have appreciated your input. ;)

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Who still know more about it than we do.

Karol

Forget it, Brother Karol.  It's Jurassic Shark, the great shame of JWFan Modern. 

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Strangely, it's much more cheerful here when you're not around.

For you I'm sure.  That's because you're a strangely spiteful twat. 

1 minute ago, TGP said:

For you I'm sure.  That's because you're a strangely spiteful twat. 

It's not just for me. You really manage to kill most discussions with your negativity.

And before accusing others of such things, you might want to look yourself in the mirror.

26 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I think so. Celluloid nitrate turned yellow.

The highly flammable cellulose nitrate as an emulsion base (as in Inglorious Basterds) was discontinued in the late 40s, where it was superseded by cellulose diacetate and cellulose triacetate ('safety film'). With exposure to moisture, heat, or acids, the acetyl (CH3CO) groups have a unfortunate habit of breaking away from the long cellulose polymer chains, and reforming as acetic acid (CH3CO2H)--the main component of vinegar. This is the the first stage of cellulose acetate deterioration, and was known in the business as "vinegar syndrome", 

Could it be that Nolan as child saw a degraded release print and has a faulty of idea what 2001: ASO should is supposed to look like, that perhaps informs that the skewed colour balancing of his recent 70mm films?

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's not just for me. You really manage to kill most discussions with your negativity.

And before accusing others of such things, you might want to look yourself in the mirror.

And I think you kill most discussions with your "humor."  The mirror doesn't show me a spiteful twat like you, but someone who holds a grudge.  You seemed to have it out for me from your start here, and I still don't like you.  You've given me no reason to.  Pretty simple.  Now let's stop killing the discussion. 

4 minutes ago, Sharky said:

The highly flammable cellulose nitrate as an emulsion base (as in Inglorious Basterds) was discontinued in the late 40s, where it was superseded by cellulose diacetate and cellulose triacetate ('safety film'). With exposure to moisture, heat, or acids, the acetyl (CH3CO) groups have a unfortunate habit of breaking away from the long cellulose polymer chains, and reforming as acetic acid (CH3CO2H)--the main component of vinegar. This is the the first stage of cellulose acetate deterioration, and was known in the business as "vinegar syndrome", 

Could it be that Nolan as child saw a degraded release print and has a faulty of idea what 2001: ASO should is supposed to look like, that perhaps informs that the skewed colour balancing of his recent 70mm films?

We are of course still assuming that this trailer video actually represents what the new film looks like.

Karol

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

And I think you kill most discussions with your "humor."  The mirror doesn't show me a spiteful twat like you, but someone who holds a grudge.  You seemed to have it out for me from your start here, and I still don't like you.  You've given me no reason to.  Pretty simple.  Now let's stop killing the discussion. 

There's plenty of people here who appreciate my jokes. 

There seems to be plenty of people here who's getting tired of your constant rudeness and negativity. You couldn't handle that I pointed this out, and that's why you're holding a grudge.

Ok let's hear from these people then.  I asked if I should leave a while back.  Let those people speak up again and you'll be rid of me.  

No, Jurassic Shark doesn't like me.  He speaks for the abused common JWFan.  Everyone go here and add/change your vote if necessary.  

Interesting how few voted leave, and how fewer than that were probably serious.  Just a few random members who I likely was an ass to after they said something ridiculous.  

17 minutes ago, crocodile said:

We are of course still assuming that this trailer video actually represents what the new film looks like.

Karol

If it does and Nolan claims that this is how audiences saw 2001 in 1968, rest assured, the internet will explode.

8 minutes ago, TGP said:

No, Jurassic Shark doesn't like me.  He speaks for the abused common JWFan.  Everyone go here and add/change your vote if necessary.  

Interesting how few voted leave, and how fewer than that were probably serious.  Just a few random members who I likely was an ass to after they said something ridiculous.  

You old drama queen!

Lol

23 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Since this is Nolan's presentation of the film, I find it unlikely that he would approve digital grading on the trailer. He hates that.

Were the trailers to any of his films tuned-up compared to the finished film?

I just saw this in a random reddit thread when looking for other opinions on this horrendous 2001 colour, and I won't search back for it, so take this with multiple grains of salt (especially that I myself haven't seen the trailer or the movie): someone said the trailer for Dunkirk showed the same kind of grading, but the movie itself in Imax looked much better.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's plenty of people here who appreciate my jokes. 

I do.

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Ok let's hear from these people then.  I asked if I should leave a while back.  Let those people speak up again and you'll be rid of me.  

Do not leave. I so not think of you in such a way as JS does. In fact I rather appreciate both of you're personalities on these forums.

14 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Meh.

If Mel Gibson, by far the most old-fashioned out of the three, has moved to digital, that’s really saying something.

Mel Gibson hasn’t been relevant since The Passion Of The Christ. Besides, my nearly year-old comment was literally in reference to Tarantino and Nolan keeping Kodak in business.