The Official Thread for the Church of Oscar-winning Director and (soon to be) Sir Christopher Nolan

crocodile

...and that's Jenga :)

Critics - at least, the discerning ones - have always said that a Stanley Kubrick film, is, first and foremost, a Stanley Kubrick film. In other words, he makes film for himself, first, and for an audience, second.

Same for Eyes Wide Shut, it was only when I tried to watch it through the director's eyes, that I loved the movie. Before that, I didn't gel with the characters, and as a consequence, I felt kinda bored. You can't watch a Kubrick movie the same way you watch Rocky.  

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Not so, IMO. The story is told through Kubrick's eyes (which I think is true for most of his movies). The film is ultimately about ideas, themes, the bigger picture, not plot points or character identification. It isn't about Bowman, the individual. It's a story told on a universal scale.  As with Moon-Watcher before him, Dave Bowman represents mankind and where we stand in evolution. 

All movies by any director who has his own style and viewpoints are told through their point-of-view. But WITHIN THE STORY, there still is a protagonist. For Kubrick and 2001, that’s Dave Bowman; as a surrogate for mankind, sure, but a protagonist nonetheless.

21 hours ago, crocodile said:

but it's worth at least considering given that we built our homes and morality on those foundations. So perhaps there is more to that. I see it more in philosophical terms rather than "movie tearjerker" devices.

This is an interesting idea, which I feel Nolan does great disservice to in its execution, if that was indeed his intent. He gets so wrapped up in technicalities, spectacle and the contrivances of plot, that he rarely allows space for the idealogical to speak through. And Interstellar is one of his worst examples of that. I just don't think exploring the human condition is really his thing, especially as a writer.

With that said, Interstellar is not a bad film at all. And its first hour is especially brilliant.

And yes, The Prestige is his best film.

22 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I wonder if Nolan went for a 2001: ASO approach ... That movie is also not about characters and often disliked because of the emotional distance between viewer and characters.  

Many thrillers do that. Just because Nolan's film has a bunch of non-characters, we're going to start drawing comparisons to 2001 now?

Dunkirk is the Gravity of war films.

18 minutes ago, KK said:

Many thrillers do that. 

Really? Eh ... not really my experience. 

20 minutes ago, KK said:

Just because Nolan's film has a bunch of non-characters, we're going to start drawing comparisons to 2001 now?

Well, they do have that in common. Dunkirk even goes further than 2001, in that regard. Then there's Nolan experimenting, making a big spectacle, while not wanting to be conventional. And knowing that he is a complete 2001: ASO nut, I don't think I'm grasping for straws.

On 5/23/2020 at 4:11 PM, crocodile said:

The Prestige is his best because if you take away all the twists and theatrics you are still left with characters that feel very human. This is what stayed with me anyway. In most Nolan films his protagonists feel more like avatars but here they are bit more complicated, and quite despicable too. You understand them but you don't. I think casting Hugh Jackman was a stroke of genius. He is extremely likeable no matter what he does so when you slowly realise how twisted he actually is might the biggest twist of them all. Plus there is something very appealing about Nolan working with lower budget. His indie sensibilities are well suited for that. The films looks very good and yet completely non-flashy.

Karol

One of things I admire most about it is that even though it is a period piece, it never shoves it down the viewers throat. Here you never see the CGI enhanced establishing shots showing how London looked in the XIXth century, nor does it draw attention to any particular technological or behavioural staple we nowadays associate with the period. It's not shot as period piece at all. It's shot as contemporary tale, as if the current movie making technology was available back then. I find it very refreshingly restrained in that sense

WB will have to make a decision on the next few days: to open Tenet on the scheduled date of July 17, or delay it (theoretically) until Wonder Woman 84's current date, August 14 (WW would go to December and Dune to 2021).

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/05/san-francisco-movie-theater-july-17-tenet-1202234263/

If major cities follow San Francisco's lead, cinemas might not be open until August, which would make Tenet opening in July impossible. This decision also affects Disney, which currently has Mulan scheduled for July 24. I believe that if Disney can't open Mulan in July, it will unfortunately go straight to Disney +.

I feel bad about Mulan's director  Niki Caro. She made her movie imagining people would experience it in theaters, but now a lot of people will watch it on their phones.

So I just watched Innastella. Pretty movie, especially the space bits. But the movie kinda lost me when the main guy gets stuck inside that giant timey wimey room with all the guitar strings. How'd he get outta there? What was Anne Hathaway going to do all marooned on that rock planet? Anyone else think her hairdo was dorky? I like red-headed babe, she's hot.

This movie feels like it wants to make up for the experiment that was Dunkirk. It's almost as if Nolan said: Listen, money people, let me make Dunkirk, and I will give you another Inception

59 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Yeah but what were they doing? Like what was the objective? I couldn't follow all that.

Oh come on! Nolan is one of the most expository writers out there. 

3 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Yeah but what were they doing? Like what was the objective? I couldn't follow all that.

I think that the idea, was to extract information, which was in Ken Watanabe's subconscious.

I think...:unsure:

Inception isn't that hard to follow. Put simply, it is about Leo DiCaprio assembling a crew and trying to get into the mind of Cillian Murphy to make him get the idea of splitting his energy company. However, Leo's guilt on the death of his wife creates problems for the team.

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Inception isn't that hard to follow. Put simply, it is about Leo DiCaprio assembling a crew and trying to get into the mind of Cillian Murphy to make him get the idea of splitting his energy company. However, Leo's guilt on the death of his wife creates problems for the team.

Yeah this was the bit I didn't get. Was Cillian Murphy voluntarily allowing this to happen or was it against his will? Because at the end, he wakes up on the plane with everyone else and they all yuck it up. Ugh what the fuck was happening in this movie?!

12 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Yeah this was the bit I didn't get. Was Cillian Murphy voluntarily allowing this to happen or was it against his will? Because at the end, he wakes up on the plane with everyone else and they all yuck it up. Ugh what the fuck was happening in this movie?!

Cillian Murphy was the heir to an energy conglomerate that was rival to Ken Watanabe's own company. After his father passed away on Sidney, he flew to the United States for the funeral. But Leo DiCaprio's crew also was on the same plane. They entered Murphy's dream and planted there the idea for him to split his company.

15 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Forget it, Jerry, it's Nolantown.

• 2 weeks later...

That's OK. I won't be back from holiday untill August anyway. But as I've said before, I'm really looking forward to this -- especially how Nolan has staged the Oslo sequence (which I saw being filmed live, from a distance).

Shame. That is when I am supposed to be going away (Corona permitting). I wanted to see it at the IMAX. Perhaps it will still be showing in early September...

Karol

DUNKIRK was cinematic genius.

INTERSTELLAR was a mess.

I didn't like INCEPTION , even the score.

I have no clue if TENET will be great, but I wouldn't miss a Nolan film for ANYTHING!

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Let's hope.

Maybe, that will give Zimmer time to do a " replacement" score.

On 8/15/2016 at 3:29 PM, crocodile said:

Why is [TBL] film considered to be so good, again? Just curious.

Karol

The Blue Lagoon? Thin Blue Line?

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

THE BIG LEBOWSKI

In my defence, I started to like the film more after the second viewing.

Karol

It's a mixed bag.

Bridges is fantastic as his characteri.

I really didn't like Goodman.

It's better appreciated if you know it's based on THE BIG SLEEP- but not necessary.

There aren't many funny Hollywood films out there which makes this one standout!

Bridges abides!