The Official Thread for the Church of Oscar-winning Director and (soon to be) Sir Christopher Nolan

crocodile

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'd even prefer to watch a 35mm print of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (which I did, on its 50th anniversary, in 2012), than any 3D, IMAX modern monstrosity that passes for popular motion picture entertainment, these days.

You're not an old Fart, you're an ANCIENT FART😝

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I saw 2001, in a brand new 70mm print struck from the original negative, in London. It was both a privilege, and an awesome and humbling experience.

I saw it in its first run road show in CINERAMA!

Holy shit!

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, toothless said:

“In cinema”. Well, that remains to be seen. From what I can see here in France the situation is getting worse again...

Really?

The media keeps telling us Europe has." stopped the spread" and only America is " failing" , because we won't wear masks when hiking by ourselves in the wilderness

That is why iizten to BBC to get actual NEWS!

Europe had it under control, lifted restrictions and reopened. Due to people partying and travelling, cases are now on the rise again but it's nothing compared to the US who never had it under control and reopened anyway (even when cases were alarmingly high in some states).

24 minutes ago, AC1 said:

the US who never had it under control and reopened anyway ....

(even when cases were alarmingly high in some states).

San Francisco has a.grand total of SIXTY SEVEN fatalities out of a population of EIGHT HUNDRED THOUSAND.

On 8/13/2020 at 8:32 AM, KK said:

Nolan has always had notoriously boring posters. So nothing new there.

I liked the DARK KNIGHT poster with the Bat insignia burned.into a skyscraper.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Europe had it under control, lifted restrictions and reopened. Due to people partying and travelling, cases are now on the rise again but it's nothing compared to the US who never had it under control and reopened anyway (even when cases were alarmingly high in some states).

Exactly.

The situation was and is still under control. But vacations and dumb people make things harder :) 

11 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Nolan removes shots of 'a man kicking a woman' in Tenet to stop it getting a 15 certificate in the UK.

https://www.filmstories.co.uk/news/tenet-changes-made-in-post-production-to-get-12a-certificate/

Disappointing move by Nolan.

But I'm excited about the film. I've been assigned the film review, and will be seeing it in one week from now. I've heard some good things about it from colleagues.

21 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

There's only 800,000 people in SF? Get outta town!

Yea, that's crazy. Toronto is at 3 million in comparison.

But I'm guessing is a geographical definition thing. SF must refer to a relatively small proportion of the "Bay Area" population.

15 minutes ago, KK said:

Yea, that's crazy. Toronto is at 3 million in comparison.

But I'm guessing is a geographical definition thing. SF must refer to a relatively small proportion of the "Bay Area" population.

Right.SF is surrounded by ocean and bay so is relatively isolated from the greater metropolis

The ' Bay area' includes Oakland and Berkely ...few million people. But hardly any COVID cases anywhere!

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I want to know more details about Goransson's score, specially how it was recorded in amidst all this pandemic.

It's not much, but it's a fun story:

23 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I want to know more details about Goransson's score, specially how it was recorded in amidst all this pandemic.

It's safe to say that the parts of the score that required orchestra were already recorded before the lockdown. Göransson has mentioned that sessions had already taken place for strings and brass, and an update at the end of July revealed that he had finished working on the score around that time. Given his track record he probably spent a couple of months mixing what was already recorded a while back with electronics and studio work. 

I'm expecting the score to be largely electronic anyways, but we shall see. Leave it to Göransson to make it interesting! I'm more interested in recording for season 2 of The Mandalorian, as sessions will have to take place, if at all, under the current restrictions. There's plenty he can do from his studio, but the orchestra simply cannot be replaced. 

It's great to see that the orchestral sessions already took place before the pandemic.

7 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I'm expecting the score to be largely electronic anyways, but we shall see. Leave it to Göransson to make it interesting! I'm more interested in recording for season 2 of The Mandalorian, as sessions will have to take place, if at all, under the current restrictions. There's plenty he can do from his studio, but the orchestra simply cannot be replaced. 

The composer for the new HBO show Lovecraft Country recorded her score with a virtual orchestra, each musician in their own house.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/lovecraft-country-online-orchestra-laura-karpman-1234737407/

34 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Leave it to Göransson to make it interesting!

Or not. I've not been impressed by anything Göransson has done so far, so my expections for this is rock bottom. I guess that means it will either be exactly as bad as I think, or better than expected. We'll see.

I'm still very bummed that Zimmer had to bow out; a Nolan film doesn't feel complete without it these days. But I comfort myself in that we'll get DUNE instead. Hopefully, Zimmer will be back for the next Nolan.

And I'd much rather have had Balfe than Göransson.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm still very bummed that Zimmer had to bow out; a Nolan film doesn't feel complete without it these days. But I comfort myself in that we'll get DUNE instead. Hopefully, Zimmer will be back for the next Nolan.

Gee Thor.

You have a stick up your arse about LG ( and MG) that I dont understand.

Hope you can judge his score with your usual objectivity😊

On 8/20/2020 at 7:45 AM, Thor said:

What are your issues with Göransson Thor? Just curious because our tastes are often quite similar from what I've seen, but I really enjoy most of LG's work so far. 

4 hours ago, Jules said:

What are your issues with Göransson Thor? Just curious because our tastes are often quite similar from what I've seen, but I really enjoy most of LG's work so far. 

Oh, where to start? He's a bit like Giacchino, in a way. His scores are 'well-produced', with lots of big chord leaps, rhythmical figures and the like (which fans latch on to), but are really empty and vacous in content. Both in terms of melody and dynamic range. I just don't get what people hear in scores like the CREEDs or BLACK PANTHER. Occasionally pretty 'surface' noodlings, but going nowhere fast. I either find it perfectly mediocre or gratingly annoying, and almost always sounding like second-rate Bill Conti (even THE MANDALORIAN has this). And then - like with Giacchino again - I get extra annoyed when people fawn over his stuff. To me, it's just a classic example of "The Emperor's New Clothes".

But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps a visionary Nolan flick is what he requires to find the proper inspiration.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oh, where to start? He's a bit like Giacchino, in a way. His scores are 'well-produced', with lots of big chord leaps, rhythmical figures and the like (which fans latch on to), but are really empty and vacous in content. Both in terms of melody and dynamic range. I just don't get what people hear in scores like the CREEDs or BLACK PANTHER. Occasionally pretty 'surface' noodlings, but going nowhere fast. I either find it perfectly mediocre or gratingly annoying, and almost always sounding like second-rate Bill Conti (even THE MANDALORIAN has this). And then - like with Giacchino again - I get extra annoyed when people fawn over his stuff. To me, it's just a classic example of "The Emperor's New Clothes".

But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps a visionary Nolan flick is what he requires to find the proper inspiration.

But most of all, he's frickin' Swedish!

Oh, some of the early reviews for Tenet are not pretty:

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/08/tenet-review-1234581454/

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/aug/21/tenet-review-christopher-nolans-thriller-is-a-palindromic-dud

The New York Times is more complementary, but still decidedly ho-hum.

I typically wouldn't give such reviews much notice, had they not fell in-line with what I've experienced with some of Nolan's big spectacles: namely, the "puzzle" of the film (and, in his bigger outings, the action setpieces and large-format photography) superceding the emotional involvement in the story.

Shame.

I don't pay much attention to reviews anymore. The Prestige and Interstellar are two worst reviewed Nolan films and they are among my favourites. The level of intellectual discourse in this field isjust shocking. I only look at reviews to see "what kind" of a film am I going to watch. But even that seems to be way off most of the time. 

Karol

I don't suspect this film will convert anybody. Those who like Nolan will probably enjoy it, those who don't, won't. Dunkirk had more mass appeal due to it being a war film.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I don't pay much attention to reviews anymore. The Prestige and Interstellar are two worst reviewed Nolan films and they are among my favourites. The level of intellectual discourse in this field isjust shocking. I only look at reviews to see "what kind" of a film am I going to watch. But even that seems to be way off most of the time. 

Karol

I know it's beating a dead horse, but still:

The Prestige >>>>>>> Interstellar

21 hours ago, Thor said:

Creed and Black Panther both have melodies I really like, and I particularly enjoy the orchestration on BP. The Mandalorian I think is a little overhyped, but he's certainly more promising than Giacchino for me. I'm definitely nervous about Tenet, feel like this score could go either way. 

1 minute ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

You like pointless things?

I don't mind the twisty nonsense in the third act of Interstellar at all. First viewing it was tons of fun!

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

DUNKIRK isn't looking so ' bad' now, is it?

😆

I liked Dunkirk.

Dunkirk > Interstellar >Inception