The Official Thread for the Church of Oscar-winning Director and (soon to be) Sir Christopher Nolan

crocodile

If Nolan wants to make a movie based on an original idea it doesn't make any difference it its through Warner, Disney, Sony, Universal, or Paramount

The only thing this changes would be if he wanted to make a movie based on a property WB owns, like Batman

I mean, it's not like other studios won't have him. Tenet's 2020 release wasn't his idea and therefore he cannot be blamed for the underwhelming box office. I don't really like the movie but I'm pretty sure it would have made tons of money under normal circumstances.

Karol

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

If Nolan wants to make a movie based on an original idea it doesn't make any difference it its through Warner, Disney, Sony, Universal, or Paramount

The only thing this changes would be if he wanted to make a movie based on a property WB owns, like Batman

Who suggested otherwise?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

On the face of it, no. But there is something to be said for building a good working relationship with the executives. Shame to throw that away.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't think he's being a crybaby at all.  Warner made a unilateral decision without consulting the people who actually made the damn movies.  There's no way to spin that as not fucked up and incompetent.  Not wanting to work with them anymore is a perfectly reasonable reaction, even if it didn't affect his latest movie specifically.  I don't like Nolan's movies, but I like his commitment to movie theaters. 

I get that, but we’re in a pandemic with 400,000 dead in the U.S. WB spent millions on marketing his film, did exactly as he wanted and kept it only in theaters, and it unsurprisingly bombed.

I love Nolan but this response screams elite privilege.  

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I get that, but we’re in a pandemic with 400,000 dead in the U.S. WB spent millions on marketing his film, did exactly as he wanted and kept it only in theaters, and it unsurprisingly bombed.

I love Nolan but this response screams elite privilege.  

Yes, except that he didn't want it to be released during the pandemic.

Karol

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yes, except that he didn't want it to be released during the pandemic.

Karol

Yes, he did. Remember, Nolan wanted to save theaters with Tenet because they were having a hard time.

As if he is god himself!

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Yes, he did. Remember, Nolan wanted to save theaters with Tenet because they were having a hard time.

As if he is god himself!

Incorrect. He wanted the film to be released on big screen but not necessarily in the middle of the pandemic. That was studio's decision. He couldn't have changed it if he wanted to. You're conflating two different things - Nolan wanting to save cinemas and studios wanting to make their money back as soon as possible. Directors have influence over some stuff but not over things they didn't pay for.

Karol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Thor said:

Yeah, read that elsewhere just now. Good for him! Looking forward to the Oppenheimer film.

can’t wait for that movie!!! Love Cillian Murphy. Amazing actor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cilian Murphy cast as Oppenheimer

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/christopher-nolan-oppenheimer-cast-cillian-murphy-release-date-1235084507/

Ludwig Göransson will score. Is there any truth to the rumors that Zimmer and Nolan had a falling out after Dunkirk?

58 minutes ago, Romão said:

Ludwig Göransson will score. Is there any truth to the rumors that Zimmer and Nolan had a falling out after Dunkirk?

Interesting, two films in a row Nolan hasn't worked with Zimmer.

Can't see any reason why Zimmer wouldn't have set aside time to score this in 2023, so the fallout rumours might be true.

Or perhaps Nolan just really loved working with Ludwig.

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Or perhaps Nolan just really loved working with Ludwig.

It probably was that what happened.

On the other hand, all the parties involved said that Dunkirk was such a complex score to do, with music almost during the entire runtime, that I wouldn't be surprised if the recording sessions were rather stressful.

Also, doesn't Zimmer have his next tour lined up? Granted, that probably wouldn't stop him from throwing in a few projects in-between, but I imagine he'd want to purely focus on that for the time being. The lack of much else that's been announced for the following year makes me think this currently.

Ludwig Göransson's career is pretty much "up and running on all cylinders" now. He has now joined the ranks of Giacchino, Balfe, and alike - i.e. people whose association with high-profile gigs no longer surprise or excite.

I wonder if David Julyan was even approached at all for either of these two --  post "Hans Zimmer era" -- Nolan films.

Same for James Newton Howard, even if I am sure he wouldn't have said yes to that out of "respect" for Hans Zimmer - if not for the "experience" that had him drop out of the third Nolan batman film in the first place.

I heard that HZ & Nolan are still friends, just like HZ & Ridley Scott are still friends, but them working together in the future might be unlikely. I hope it's temporary but I am very disappointed that Göransson is the new Nolan collaborator... I was not a fan of his Tenet score.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

With all due respect to Göransson, who is a fine composer, but Tenet might be the most overrated score of the last few years. 

Overrated in what sense tho? Didn’t win many (any?) awards and the film score community don’t seem fond of it either. It is generally liked by those who’ve seen Tenet, that is about it. Reviewers also liked it and how it worked in the movie, didn’t set the world on fire but did okay. I’d say it’s rated fine. 

I like Rainy Night in Talinn and Posterity. Movie itself sucked ass, worst Nolan flick. Put all of his worst tendencies into a two hour miserable experience. 

Guessing Goransson is the way forward, good for him. I really would have liked Justin Hurwitz career to take off in the same manner. Sadly he only gets hired by Chazzelle. 

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

With all due respect to Göransson, who is a fine composer, but Tenet might be the most overrated score of the last few years. 

Not really overrated. The score didn't make much noise in the award season.

I recall reading that Zimmer (and co) had to write the entire Dunkirk Tenet score twice, and possibly three times, so I’m inclined to think Zimmer said “never again”. At least Ludwig is an excellent composer!

20 minutes ago, Stark said:

I recall reading that Zimmer (and co) had to write the entire Tenet score twice, and possibly three times, so I’m inclined to think Zimmer said “never again”. At least Ludwig is an excellent composer!

I think you meant Dunkirk.