The Official Thread for the Church of Oscar-winning Director and (soon to be) Sir Christopher Nolan

crocodile

On 08/10/2021 at 11:08 PM, Drawgoon said:

Ludwig Göransson's career is pretty much "up and running on all cylinders" now. He has now joined the ranks of Giacchino, Balfe, and alike - i.e. people whose association with high-profile gigs no longer surprise or excite.

I wonder if David Julyan was even approached at all for either of these two --  post "Hans Zimmer era" -- Nolan films.

Same for James Newton Howard, even if I am sure he wouldn't have said yes to that out of "respect" for Hans Zimmer - if not for the "experience" that had him drop out of the third Nolan batman film in the first place.

Does Nolan even have any connections with JNH? I read that James Newton Howard was brought on by Zimmer on The Dark Knight. I never read an interview where Nolan talks about JNH.

I'm really happy about Göransson becoming the new collaborator of Nolan. Tenet was great, a fresh development starting from the point, where the Zimmer collaboration ended. Really intrigued what comes next.

5 hours ago, Mephariel said:

Does Nolan even have any connections with JNH? I read that James Newton Howard was brought on by Zimmer on The Dark Knight. I never read an interview where Nolan talks about JNH.

I wouldn't be behind a solo JNH collaboration with Nolan. Look at all the projects JNH has been doing lately... lots of big, melodic, old-fashioned loveliness. Save the dour Nolan projects for Zimmer and the rest.  

• 4 weeks later...

Robert Downey Jr and Matt Damon join Oppenheimer

Looks like nobody got around to reporting Emily Blunt's casting too

Already a pretty great ensemble right there with Murphy, will be glad to see RDJ doing something like this again 

On 10/10/2021 at 8:07 PM, LSH said:

I wouldn't be behind a solo JNH collaboration with Nolan. Look at all the projects JNH has been doing lately... lots of big, melodic, old-fashioned loveliness. Save the dour Nolan projects for Zimmer and the rest.  

I'm with you there. I'm sure that Nolan would bring out the absolute worst in JNH, alongside the unmemorable rubbish he came up with for SaltBourne Legacy and similar.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As someone who actually kinda came around to liking parts of Tenet quite a bit, I'm happy Ludwig is the new Hans for Nolan.  Bear in mind I never watch Nolan films, I'm only here for the Ludwig scores.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a solemn memory from what was otherwise a superb weekend at the WORLD SOUNDTRACK AWARDS in Ghent 2012.

Standing outside of some bar that was next to the Marriott hotel, after the concert and awards ceremony. Thor was there.

Absolutely wasted, I suddenly had David Julyan (Christopher Nolan's original composer) next to me. He stole loads of my cigarettes and we drank some obscenely strong Belgian beer. I asked him - naively - why he wasn't chosen for Nolan's Batman films.

And he said... "Warner Brothers didn't want me. I wasn't big enough. But I would have loved to have done it. I actually had some good ideas prepared. But those guys [Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard] had the edge."

I remember those words clear as day. Poor fucker. He was such a lovely bloke.

12 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

One assumes Thor was also wasted?😉

Not at all. I mean, probably. Likely. Yeah he was.

However, he still managed to take a photograph of me and my mate with Alberto Iglesias... (it's me, the completely disheveled one on the right). We were so very drunk... but it was an incredibly lovely night. We were out so late we missed our Eurostar back to London. But it was completely worth it. Can't believe this was 10 years ago.

Alberto.jpg