The Official Thread for the Church of Oscar-winning Director and (soon to be) Sir Christopher Nolan

crocodile

On 29/05/2022 at 1:59 AM, Dixon Hill said:

Anyone else think Tenet was pretty bad?  I renounce this church.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Maybe, but at least there was nothing annoying about it either. 

Grey renouncing Nolan...Cremers defending him...if that's not a sign of impending doom, then I don't know what is!

1 hour ago, KK said:

Grey renouncing Nolan...Cremers defending him...if that's not a sign of impending doom, then I don't know what is!

This indicates Nolan is changing, evolving, growing ...

crocodile's Nolan is dead. Long live AC1's Nolan!

The score was okay. But i still missed hans...I was never emotionally touched by the music.

i found the story much weaker...

But let`s hope :) Nolan is still one of my favourite! And i love Cillian and Florence <3 :D 

2 hours ago, toothless said:

Hated Dunkirk and Tenet. Basically I don’t like Nolan when he is the only one writing. 

however I am still interested in this one!

I think Tenet is the only movie by him that I'm a little iffy on, that being said I still REALLY like it. I like how the main guy doesn't have a name and Robert Pattinson was soooo good in it.

Dunkirk is clunky but I rather liked its relative simplicity and brevity. Tenet I admire on a technical level, and it sure looked nice on 70mm IMAX, but as a movie it is insufferable and almost incomprehensible. And yes, Pattinson somehow manages to be still likeable despite flat writing. I appreciate some of Goransson's material but it's a tough listen.

Karol

What I like is that with Dunkirk and Tenet Nolan seems to be no longer thinking about the audience. The characters are completely devoid of audience manipulation, almost in a flat documentary style. Doesn't mean that he's got talent to make it work though ...

4 hours ago, toothless said:

Hated Dunkirk and Tenet. Basically I don’t like Nolan when he is the only one writing. 

I loved Dunkirk. Didn't think much about Tenent.

Bring back Jonathan! (Or... Jonathan, bring back Christopher!)

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Bring back Jonathan! (Or... Jonathan, bring back Christopher!)

At least let Jonathan finish Westworld first. I won't be happy if the show ends on a cliffhanger.

46 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I hope the film deals with his opposition to the H- bomb and his clash with Edward Teller aka ' Dr. Strangelove'

I'd bet that it will end on August 6th 1945. Maybe the 9th. 14th at the latest. 

Maybe not. It would be interesting to see his post war life. 

8 hours ago, AC1 said:

Oppenheimer-poster.jpg

Pretty sure this one is fake.

On 22/07/2022 at 7:47 AM, crocodile said:

Dunkirk is clunky but I rather liked its relative simplicity and brevity. Tenet I admire on a technical level, and it sure looked nice on 70mm IMAX, but as a movie it is insufferable and almost incomprehensible. And yes, Pattinson somehow manages to be still likeable despite flat writing. I appreciate some of Goransson's material but it's a tough listen.

Karol

Dunkirk works quite well. Tenet is just terrible and easily Nolan's worst film.

I wouldn't call Tenet terrible...though I readily agree that it's Nolan's worst film. Easy.  The product of an incredibly talented director whose power gave him too much carte blanche to make a mess like Tenet.  That's something that should have gone straight to HBO MAX given it was released during COVID.  At least then it would have avoided the appearance of being a major disappointment. But of course Nolan would never have allowed it.

Funny, Spielberg has used his ability to make anything he wants to go smaller, while Nolan goes bigger.

I really wish that I had seen Tenant in the theater. I've decided the biggest plus of "going to the movies" is not the big screen or the sound system but that I'm putting myself in a box and forcing myself to engage with a film for two+ hours.

I still haven't seen Tenant all the way through. What I saw of it was... OK? It was visually interesting. The "hook" was a little too hook-y. I loved Kenneth Branagh.

But I've seen Dunkirk twice. And I'd watch The Prestige right now if it was on. That's not especially relevant other than to say that some Nolan films grab me way more than others.

Tenet was unbearable in the cinema. The sound barrage was unrelenting. Between the assault on the senses and the narrative itself, it was all and all a very unpleasant cinematic experience 

Tenet was a James Bond movie but with a different flavor. I somehow thought it was better than No Time To Die. Then again, I expected nothing from Tenet and a lot more from No Time To Die. Maybe I should watch it again to understand why everyone hates it so much. Maybe you people expected too much from Tenet?

15 hours ago, KK said:

Pretty sure this one is fake.

It absolutely is a fake, fan-made poster.

The only actual poster released is the one I posted here.

The fake, fan-made poster Alex posted has been around since at least January

There's more here

Button down your hatches, because here comes my top-5 Nolan (YES, NOLAN!!!!) films

1/ INTERSTELLAR

2/ THE PRESTIGE

3/ INSOMNIA

4/MEMENTO

5/ OPPENHEIMER (ok, ok, I know it hasn't been released yet, but I haven't seen DUNKIRK, or TENET, and it's got to be better than that Dark Knight shit).

1. The Prestige

2. The Prestige

3. Dunkirk

4. Batman Begins

5. Oh look, I stopped caring at this point. (Yes, the other two Batman movies are quite good, and Interstellar and Inception have some very high points.)

Surprised at the love for PRESTIGE!

1. DUNKIRK

2. DARK KNIGHT

3. BATMAN BEGINS

4. THE DARK NIGHT RISES

5.  ? not really a fan of his other films but i do love the score for INTERSTELLAR

58 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

The teaser is in color?

The only thing that's color is the fire from the bomb. The scene from the film itself are all black&white

So, will Oppenheimer be one of those tedious dramas "based on true facts" about the lives of important people during WWII that History teachers everywhere will show to their teenage students (which inevitably will fall asleep during the movie)?

Or will it be a high-concept action movie with mind-blowing action scenes that will be as "entertaining" (i.e. not at all) as Tenet?

Either way, it does seem pretty boring.

I agree, it sounds like a History Channel docudrama with a big Hollywood budget, but would Nolan be really interested in that? 

I think Nolan will focus on the moral, ethical. and political aspects of using a nuclear weapon.

Remember, that was a big theme in TDKR; Bruce Wayne was sabotaging the nuclear weapons contracts his company had with the government