The Official Thread for the Church of Oscar-winning Director and (soon to be) Sir Christopher Nolan

crocodile

35 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Nolan is going for an Oscar, which he has been trying for a few years. So I don't this will be an action film.

Nobody " goes for an Oscar".

Especially in  these times where the award has lost its luster.

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

Of course, I've not yet seen a Nolan movie where the characters are made of flesh and blood, so he has that against him if he wants to go for the Oscar. 

This is a movie about people who in real life could have been Nolan characters. Maybe that will help.

Finally watched the teaser.  Kinda nifty, very short though.

I thought it was interesting that they uploaded it as a livestream that continually changes the countdown within it.  I wonder what the technology is behind that.

• 4 months later...

Nolan recreated an atomic bomb explosion without CGI:

"I think recreating the Trinity test [the first nuclear weapon detonation, in New Mexico] without the use of computer graphics, was a huge challenge to take on," explains Nolan in Total Film(opens in new tab)’s upcoming 2023 Preview issue. "Andrew Jackson – my visual effects supervisor, I got him on board early on – was looking at how we could do a lot of the visual elements of the film practically, from representing quantum dynamics and quantum physics to the Trinity test itself, to recreating, with my team, Los Alamos up on a mesa in New Mexico in extraordinary weather, a lot of which was needed for the film, in terms of the very harsh conditions out there – there were huge practical challenges."

Source: https://www.gamesradar.com/oppenheimer-christopher-nolan-scale-interview/

We'll see. I'm sure he has the best in the world working on this. On the other hand perhaps an attitude of "The right tool for the right job" might go a long way as well.

Wasn't it quite negligent to allow Christopher Nolan to shoot a movie with such a topic? - I mean, he could have initiated a real nuclear explosion in order to "make it look real", don't tell me that it couldn't have happened!

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Wasn't it quite negligent to allow Christopher Nolan to shoot a movie with such a topic? - I mean, he could have initiated a real nuclear explosion in order to "make it look real", don't tell me that it couldn't have happened!

Our simple laugh icon is not enough here.

16 hours ago, Edmilson said:

There's a (crappy) teaser poster for Oppenheimer as well:

Oppenheimer_%28film%29.jpg

Huh. I kinda like that image.

I do wish whoever markets Nolan’s movies would switch up the title treatments a bit. Although I guess it’s his visual “brand” now. The Prestige, Inception, Dark Knight Trilogy, Dunkirk. All sans-serifs, kerned out super wide.

I think Interstellar is the only film title of his to use serifs. 😆

K. Typography nitpick over.

75CFD7C2-CEEC-4170-9C07-67F515431252.jpeg

3F264839-E82F-46E9-A25F-927477E75D56.jpeg

F7A3905C-2C2D-4561-8D55-0E86F2043C45.jpeg

5BDD4E27-3F36-4108-988E-D01210CB4D2F.jpeg

2DDE58AF-FD2B-4129-9FC0-F0C030C892BC.jpeg

69250B83-AF26-4850-B1AB-26314235D55A.jpeg

14 hours ago, Edmilson said:

There's a (crappy) teaser poster for Oppenheimer as well:

Oppenheimer_%28film%29.jpg

Great looking poster! It already like a Nolan movie just based on the poster!

Looks good. 

Didn't see Tenet so I'm not sure if that movie did the signature Nolan montage to end the film.

I'm guessing he'll do the same in this either pre or post dropping of the bomb.

But I loved Dunkirk. I'll take a historical Nolan film any day of the week.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw another trailer for this at the cinema. It definitely looks intriguing but, for the life of me, I cannot imagine how it would offer a compelling feature length narrative. TENET (and Dunkirk, to lesser extent) made me worried Nolan has disappeared up his own bum a little bit.

Katol

At least the climax to this probably won't have me shaking my head in incredulous amusement at how it could be a Python sketch - 'We're going to simultaneously attack and retreat, it will confuse the enemy terribly!' - like Tenet did.    

Wonder how condemning of Oppenheimer it's going to be?  

On 25/3/2023 at 3:32 AM, crocodile said:

Saw another trailer for this at the cinema. It definitely looks intriguing but, for the life of me, I cannot imagine how it would offer a compelling feature length narrative. TENET (and Dunkirk, to lesser extent) made me worried Nolan has disappeared up his own bum a little bit.

No way, the Manhattan Project is fertile ground for a serious film treatment. But I definitely agree with you that Nolan appears to have become more than a little self-important in his filmmaking.

Meth Damon refers to Jesse Plemons, who played a character in Breaking Bad (a show centered around creation and distribution of meth), and kinda looks like Matt Damon.

But I have no idea why Edmilson referenced that here when talking about the actual Matt Damon.

12 hours ago, AC1 said:

Wasn't Tenet just another James Bond movie with a twist (just like Inception)? How is that Nolan being self-important? 

Inception, for all its clunkiness, was still quite heartfelt and entertaining. This was absolutely soulless.

Karol

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Inception, for all its clunkiness, was still quite heartfelt and entertaining. 

Nolan has a heart? :huh: