The Official Thread for the Church of Oscar-winning Director and (soon to be) Sir Christopher Nolan

crocodile

The scene with Topher Grace yelling with the oncoming dust storm FELT LIKE IT TOOK FOREVER. I almost don't want to re-watch that film ever again cause I know I will have to put up with that scene.

Matt Damon did not need to be in that film either.

I liked Damon in that role. He plays a good creepy dude in an ordinary guy kind of way. A nice surprise, especially given that he was in The Martin the same (I think?) year.

Agree completely about the dust storm, however.

3 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

While I'm not a member of the Church of Noaln, I do  have a huge amount of admiration for him, and he gets serious respect from me as one of a handful of working directors whose ambition extends beyond recycling the same stories over and over again as a hired hand for tired franchises.  There aren't many directors that could get projects like Interstellar and Dunkirk greenlit these days, and I'm happy to have films like this, even if it's beginning to feel as Nolan's ego is overtaking his ambition in size.  

I can overlook indulgences like the bloated, nonsensical Tenet, most great directors lose their way every once in a while. But I'd hate to see it become a trend with him.  I'd like to see him try his hand at a simpler story, because it's easy to confuse complicated with clever. Tenet is the more the former than the latter.

Oppenheimer feels like it could go either way. 

Agreed pretty much 100%. I was a total fan when he did The Prestige, The Dark Knight and Inception in a row, but he really hasn't won me over ever since. I found Tenet to be particularly unbearable.

But he still invariably deserves a visit to the cinema. And Oppenheimer looks very promising 

Nope

We watched the trailer last night and I thought it looked pretty good :up:

It does look like it will be depressing, though

perhaps Interstellar might have needed a simpler script with a single world to explore at the other side so it can be fleshed out

(it also a bit annoying that so much of the physics work behind the script is just nowhere to be seen or used).

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

Anyone else getting a National Geographic docudrama feeling from Oppenheimer?

No. Are you saying National Geographic docudramas look this amazing?

6 hours ago, Tallguy said:

No. Are you saying National Geographic docudramas look this amazing?

No, but I did find the Apollo 13 docudrama better than the Ron Howard movie. 

I saw an interesting Twitter thread by a nuclear nerd person critiquing the trailer, although it really should be based on the movie rather than the trailer because who knows what the trailer is doing

4 hours ago, Brónach said:

I saw an interesting Twitter thread by a nuclear nerd person critiquing the trailer, although it really should be based on the movie rather than the trailer because who knows what the trailer is doing

So what are they saying?

Karol

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 4:30 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

So, it's now un-American to want the world not to get blown to bits?

We can't blow the world to bits. Even if we wanted to. The world will still be here no matter what. 

The humans living on it, however...

Hmmm. Imax 70mm is an hour away. Miiiight be worth it.

OTOH I saw Dark Knight rises in Imax and I regretted it. Nolan doesn't think you should be able to hear people talk.

18 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

We can't blow the world to bits. Even if we wanted to. The world will still be here no matter what. 

My my, the Wagner takeover on JWFan is almost complete! ROTFLMAO:devil:ROTFLMAO

58 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

What made this movie get a R Rating? It can't be violence, right? It's not really a war movie after all, despite being set in WWII. Maybe it's sex? We'll have the privilege of seeing Cillian Murphy's dick? RDJ's wang? Florence Pugh's boobs? 

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

My my, the Wagner takeover on JWFan is almost complete! ROTFLMAO:devil:ROTFLMAO

Yeah, I wouldn't say that too loud. Last time a bunch of Wagnerians tried to take over it didn't work out so well.

52 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It can't be violence, right? It's not really a war movie after all, despite being set in WWII.

Something tells me Nolan isn't exactly making a traditional biopic here... So, who knows!?

So it could be violence, could be sexual content, or could be swearing for all we know.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Agreed. I struggled to hear the characters talk, in INTERSTELLAR.

And yet the home releases balancing the music to be almost inaudible in certain scenes is a whole new crime.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

What made this movie get a R Rating? It can't be violence, right? It's not really a war movie after all, despite being set in WWII. Maybe it's sex? We'll have the privilege of seeing Cillian Murphy's dick? RDJ's wang? Florence Pugh's boobs? 

"Some sexuality, nudity, and language" 

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

So yeah, Cillian Murphy's cock and Florence Pugh's boobs confirmed!

We'll see a lot less of Cillian Murphy's todger in OPPENHEIMER, than we did in 28 DAYS LATER.

Personally, I don't care for Florence Pugh's anything.

15 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Personally, I don't care for Florence Pugh's anything.

Each to their own pal! Each to their own.

I met her - very very briefly - in Norwich, in between filming on Fighting with My Family. She was incredibly charming. 

16 hours ago, AC1 said:

Jay is not going to like this. That's against the new rules. 

There's literally nothing in the rules banning any of that.  The new rules were about not bringing up topics that get everyone riled up and yelling at each other.  Any language you want to use has always been allowed here as long as it isn't a personal attack, and the rules even specifically say you can make all the NSFW posts you want.

So, nice try, but also an epic fail.

I joke around about almost everything here, but have to defend the rules when they are completely misrepresented.  It's obviously a sore spot because several long-time board members left after they rolled out, presumably because they didn't understand that they were meant to stop personal attacks, and not freedom of expression.  But some people interpret how they want to interpret to fit their own agendas...

On 02/06/2023 at 12:55 AM, AC1 said:

Jay is not going to like this. That's against the new rules. 

20 hours ago, Jay said:

There's literally nothing in the rules banning any of that.  The new rules were about not bringing up topics that get everyone riled up and yelling at each other.  Any language you want to use has always been allowed here as long as it isn't a personal attack, and the rules even specifically say you can make all the NSFW posts you want.

So, nice try, but also an epic fail.

12 hours ago, AC1 said:

Why are you always so deadly serious, Jay?  

Even Spock (known for always being deadly serious) lightened up every once in a while.

227085cbb865ec8a7037a8a3cefb5f81.png

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I joke around about almost everything here, but have to defend the rules when they are completely misrepresented.  It's obviously a sore spot because several long-time board members left after they rolled out, presumably because they didn't understand that they were meant to stop personal attacks, and not freedom of expression.  But some people interpret how they want to interpret to fit their own agendas...

What we've got here is "failure to communicate".

I'm sure that Alex doesn't need me to defend either him, or his posts, but, imo, what he posted was clearly a joke; a humourous comment; something that was never intended to be taken, in any remotest sense, seriously, or give offence to anyone. As for Alex's post being a "personal attack"? This is pure nonsense.

Also, Jay, and imo, your interpretation of Alex's post, and your accompanying reaction, was vastly disproportionate to his original comment. 

I understand that you take your position as moderator at JWfan very seriously, and this is both right and admirable, but it would behove you to think about the meaning of posts, before you reply to what's written.

For the record, Jay, you definitely do not "joke around about almost everything here". You have misunderstood, either deliberately, or by virtue of your character, many innocent remarks made by JWfaners, some of which may have led to people leaving this site.

Have you ever thought about why those people left? No other moderator at JWfan has received so much criticism. No-one wants personal attacks, and these should be discouraged, actively, and vociferously, by all JWfaners, but, at the same time, please, please learn to exercise a modicum of restraint and contextual understanding, before you post.

Wait what? I didn't claim that Alex's post was a personal attack, and it obviously is not one. How did you come to think that I thought that? 

I knew Alex was joking, but wanted to defend the rules anyway because, as I said, it's a sore spot. 

Alex, nor anybody else in this thread, did anything wrong, or against any rules.  I'm sorry that you thought that I thought that way. 

• 3 weeks later...