The Official Thread for the Church of Oscar-winning Director and (soon to be) Sir Christopher Nolan

crocodile

8 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I refuse to believe there's a boring humorless Nolan movie.

Have you forgotten how Commissioner Gordon was struggling with the Batmobile in Batman Begins? That was so funny! Hahahahah! Soooooooooooooo funny!

:mellow:

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I don't pay much attention to reviews anymore. The Prestige and Interstellar are two worst reviewed Nolan films and they are among my favourites.

I've learned never to trust a Nolan apostle. 

21 hours ago, Thor said:

Oh, where to start? He's a bit like Giacchino, in a way. His scores are 'well-produced', with lots of big chord leaps, rhythmical figures and the like (which fans latch on to), but are really empty and vacous in content. Both in terms of melody and dynamic range. I just don't get what people hear in scores like the CREEDs or BLACK PANTHER. Occasionally pretty 'surface' noodlings, but going nowhere fast. I either find it perfectly mediocre or gratingly annoying, and almost always sounding like second-rate Bill Conti (even THE MANDALORIAN has this). And then - like with Giacchino again - I get extra annoyed when people fawn over his stuff. To me, it's just a classic example of "The Emperor's New Clothes".

How condescending can you get when you presume to know what 'fans latch on to'. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone else is delusional.

You sound no different from the people who would whine incessantly about the likes of Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus or Kanye West 'how could anyone like that trash?' and declaring any music you don't like as 'not real music'.

23 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I liked Dunkirk.

Dunkirk > Interstellar >Inception

I put it  ' bad' , as in ironic.

I was aiming my remarks at the haters - especially the ones who called the score ' noise'.

The film is a masterpiece, obviously.

7 minutes ago, Arpy said:

How do you breathe out of water, JS?

Thru his mouth, like the rest of his inbred kin.

😆

3 hours ago, KK said:

I don't suspect this film will convert anybody. Those who like Nolan will probably enjoy it, those who don't, won't. Dunkirk had more mass appeal due to it being a war film.

I know it's beating a dead horse, but still:

The Prestige >>>>>>> Interstellar

Indeed. And The Prestige actuallys gets better with subsequent viewings

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

How condescending can you get when you presume to know what 'fans latch on to'. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone else is delusional.

You sound no different from the people who would whine incessantly about the likes of Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus or Kanye West 'how could anyone like that trash?' and declaring any music you don't like as 'not real music'.

What on earth are you rambling on about? It's a fact that Göransson has a high star both among fans and the industry as a whole (how many awards and nominations do CREED and BLACK PANTHER have between them?). Or do you dispute this?

As such - since I cannot hear this quality in his music - I think he's tremendously overrated.

Or is your logic that because he's so well-liked/popular in general, I am not allowed to dislike him?

I'm with you on Black Panther, I do think it's overrated beyond reason. Where we diverge is speaking for other people's opinions of the music. I can't see the appeal of Djawadi's GoT scores as another example, but the fans seem to love it and all the more power to them for it. 

9 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I'm with you on Black Panther, I do think it's overrated beyond reason. Where we diverge is speaking for other people's opinions of the music. I can't see the appeal of Djawadi's GoT scores as another example, but the fans seem to love it and all the more power to them for it. 

Well, I'm interested in the psychology behind preferences. When I see people latch on to the music of composers like Giacchino or Göransson, I'm curious as to WHY. What is it they hear that I don't? And my experience among fellow film music critics and fans, is that there are certain recurring features - for example that it's big and muscular, loads of big chord leaps, crashing cymbals and rhythmical figures. But often, in terms of striking melodies or interesting, original textures, they are lacking.

That's like asking why people like Ketchup or what their favourite colour is. Aesthetically, we can look at what harmonies these composers use, what styles they adhere to (or don't) but when it comes to music the response I've received is that I'm the strange one for liking film music of any stripe. I don't think there will ever be answer to those questions.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Well, I'm interested in the psychology behind preferences. When I see people latch on to the music of composers like Giacchino or Göransson, I'm curious as to WHY. What is it they hear that I don't? And my experience among fellow film music critics and fans, is that there are certain recurring features - for example that it's big and muscular, loads of big chord leaps, crashing cymbals and rhythmical figures. But often, in terms of striking melodies or interesting, original textures, they are often lacking.

Some of the most striking film score melodies have, coincidentally, come from these composers over the last decade.

Maybe not, but it's interesting to ask those questions. We're all in a position where we can say why we like or dislike something, using adjectives. For example, I just gave some reasons for why I don't like Göransson, but I've noticed that many other people do. So my mind immediately wanders as to WHY so many other people like something that I don't. Maybe it's just an inherent curiosity I have.

6 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Some of the most striking film score melodies have, coincidentally, come from these composers over the last decade.

We'll have to agree to disagree there, I'm afraid.

54 minutes ago, Thor said:

Maybe not, but it's interesting to ask those questions. We're all in a position where we can say why we like or dislike something, using adjectives. For example, I just gave some reasons for why I don't like Göransson, but I've noticed that many other people do. So my mind immediately wanders as to WHY so many other people like something that I don't. Maybe it's just an inherent curiosity I have.

We'll have to agree to disagree there, I'm afraid.

I'm not judging you for wondering why. I often wonder why people liked The Big Bang Theory or any number of the MCU films. 

4 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Never heard of Goransson. Is he the evil brother of the late Johannsson?

Jóhann Jóhannsson - may he rest in peace - is in another league altogether. I would have loved to see and hear a Nolan/Jóhannsson collaboration.

2 hours ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Jumped ship at just the right time for the new hot thing (Denis). 

I can't wait for DUNE! I'm fairly certain that a Jóhannsson/Nolan collaboration would sound a bit like Jóhannsson's score for Denis.....like ARRIVAL.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

Well, I'm interested in the psychology behind preferences. When I see people latch on to the music of composers like Giacchino or Göransson, I'm curious as to WHY. What is it they hear that I don't? And my experience among fellow film music critics and fans, is that there are certain recurring features - for example that it's big and muscular, loads of big chord leaps, crashing cymbals and rhythmical figures. But often, in terms of striking melodies or interesting, original textures, they are lacking.

I'm not a " fan" of particular composers- not in the way I used to be ( Williams ...Barry... Herrmann).

If I like an MG score , it's the specific score- not the composer.

ITS not ' groupthink'

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Jóhann Jóhannsson - may he rest in peace - is in another league altogether. I would have loved to see and hear a Nolan/Jóhannsson collaboration.

ARRIVAL bored me, on CD at least.

Another puzzle film..time distortions....

Not getting my hopes up.

The trailer makes it look like non stop action.

Afraid this is another INCEPTION.

we shall see.

( btw where's Michael Caine?)

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

Never heard of Goransson. Is he the evil brother of the late Johannsson?

No. Charles Mansson

7 hours ago, Thor said:

I can't wait for DUNE! I'm fairly certain that a Jóhannsson/Nolan collaboration would sound a bit like Jóhannsson's score for Denis.....like ARRIVAL.

It’s funny, because there were definitely portions of BR 2049 that sounded like Zimmer aping Jóhannsson.

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Interstellar was in fact recorded in a church, or something like that.

Don't know how Zimmer will record Dune with all this pandemic going on.

Can we be honest here for a minute and admit that Hans Zimmer doesn't need to occupy London's or LA's fine musicians' time because his music is so superficial that it doesn't make a shit's worth of difference? 

12 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Afraid this is another INCEPTION.

I wonder if the talks went something like this? Nolan to studio: Let me make Dunkirk (experimental war movie/docu) and I'll give you another Inception.

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I wonder if the talks went something like this? Nolan to studio: Let me make Dunkirk and I'll give you another Inception.

Well, DUNKIRK was a success, although not a Smash hit- like INCEPTION.

I love Nolan/Zimmer, but that film bored me

3 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I hated everything about it. That's why Dunkirk surprised me. 

It's popularity is a mystery.

Maybe it was boosted by Nolan having just directed TDK.

But, that doesn't explain the love for the score( unlike say INTERSTELLAR)

• 4 months later...