What to expect from Episode VIII's Score?

Unlucky Bastard

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

My own experience with the theme was strange. While watching the film at midnight showing I noticed all the secondary Rey material but didn't quite catch the main theme (maybe because I was expecting Jedi Steps to be her theme). Then I went to bed and the CD arrived first thing next morning. I listened to it on my way to work, again not really identifying her theme. And while at work I started humming this one tune to myself, not being able to tell what it was exactly. But after my shift I played the CD again... and there it was... all over the score.  

Karol

Its very elusive that theme.

9 hours ago, Will said:

Mike Zeroh can read our minds...

"John Williams composed an action-filled track for the trailer itself that will keep fans on the edge of their seats."

;)

We can hope he guessed correctly, although I doubt it. 

don't want to click on the link because I'm trying to avoid information about the film itself, but is this absolute confirmation that the next trailer will be entirely scored by John Williams? if so I'm very excited and hope that if its successful it lets studios know that sometimes you don't need a trailer house, just the composer himself. hopefully someone can rip the music from the trailer and post it so I don't have to look at the visuals, I've seen plenty enough already from the teaser and the behind the scenes.

although I'm going to guess its most likely rumours and mass wild guessing.

33 minutes ago, Fal said:

It's Mike Zeroh, so its probably a bunch of Bologna/Baloney.

So, Jwfaners, help me out.  It is confirmed that this Zeroh guy is full of crap.  All the predictions (based on his "sources") he as made where there has been later confirmations have been debunked.  So, why is anyone citing anything he says as relevant to anything and linking to it?  Why dirty your hands with confirmed crap? 

52 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

don't want to click on the link because I'm trying to avoid information about the film itself, but is this absolute confirmation that the next trailer will be entirely scored by John Williams? if so I'm very excited and hope that if its successful it lets studios know that sometimes you don't need a trailer house, just the composer himself. hopefully someone can rip the music from the trailer and post it so I don't have to look at the visuals, I've seen plenty enough already from the teaser and the behind the scenes.

although I'm going to guess its most likely rumours and mass wild guessing.

Yeah, sorry for not making it super clear -- Mike Zeroh (the source of this report) is, as others here have noted, not a reliable source.  So we still have no idea whether there will actually be Williams music in the trailer. 

1 minute ago, Tom said:

So, Jwfaners, help me out.  It is confirmed that this Zeroh guy is full of crap.  All the predictions (based on his "sources") he as made where there has been later confirmations have been debunked.  So, why is anyone citing anything he says as relevant to anything and linking to it?  Why dirty your hands with confirmed crap? 

I though it was amusing, and am bored before the trailer drop, so I figured I'd post it anyway. ;)

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

And will Jedi Steps evolve into the main theme for TLJ, representing the origins of the Jedi?

I hope not! It would be pretty lame if the headliner theme for the new score is... that theme from the last movie!  (it also helps that I'm not as over-the-moon about it as everyone else seems to be.  It's good as a one-off set-piece but it ranks relatively low in the pantheon of TFA themes.  I'm much more interested to hear new statements of Rey's, Poe's, and Kylo's themes)

Yeah I liked "The Jedi Steps" and would love for it to return, but it was far from my favorite moment in the score. There were so many other terrific moments that I liked more. 

Part of me kinda hopes that that musical idea never gets referenced again. Luke's return to the big screen is a moment large enough to warrant its own unique musical identity, and confining that theme, as great as it is, exclusively to that moment kinda would make it all the more special. 

6 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I hope not! It would be pretty lame if the headliner theme for the new score is... that theme from the last movie!  it also helps that I'm not as over-the-moon about it as everyone else seems to be.  It's good as a one-off set-piece but it ranks relatively low in the pantheon of TFA themes.

It won't. Williams like to write new thematic material for each film and base the overwhelming majority of the score on this new material.

He also doesn't compose with sequels in mind, so I don't think that he wrote the Jedi Steps with the intention of making it the theme of the sequel. As it is, its just a one-time melody.

On the other hand, the fact that he gave it its own concert arrangement shows an interest in playing with it further, if only for a few extra minutes.

I think it'd be cool if it showed up a handful of times like as a secondary theme, but I'll probably be disappointed if it's essentially the main theme for Last Jedi.

28 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Three expections/wishes:

- Rey's Theme will amazingly develop

- Jedi Steps will be more present

- Choir

This, but I'd also like to get a little bit of a reprisal from Luke and Leia's theme at some point during the film.  :^)

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

So.

when are we expecting to hear that Giacchino has replaced Williams?

Any day now, when we start hearing reports that Disney is unhappy with the TLJ's score, because it's too "pronounced", and wants it sound majestic, loud, and "awe-inspiring" like Rogue One, complete with two-cord emotional piano themes. 

So, can we come up with a list of themes that we think Williams will have written for this film?

I say a porg theme, a theme for that Rose character, a theme for Del Toro's character, maybe a theme for one of the unusual planets on display, and possibly a new theme for the First Order itself. Seems about right.

Unless she is treated as a romantic interest of Finn, she will probably get a theme that is informed by Williams' grandfather outlook, like Rey's theme is.

I wonder if he will also write a proper theme for Finn (not that recurring action motif) or just use Rose's theme as the musical representation of their storyline.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah!  I bet a theme for Rose could be really good.

Should there not be a romance subplot, the most I can see Rose getting is an endearing and bouncy (but not overtly comedic) minor motif.  Sort of like french horn section interludes heard in wacky Droid moments of the prequels (ie when Bail Organa decides to wipe C3PO's mind at the end of ROTS)

Also, I have this strange feeling that Williams will bring back the "Finn's Confession/Talk of Podracing" melody at some point in the film.

15 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Should there not be a romance subplot, the most I can see Rose getting is an endearing and bouncy (but not overtly comedic) minor motif.  Sort of like french horn section interludes heard in wacky Droid moments of the prequels (ie when Bail Organa decides to wipe C3PO's mind at the end of ROTS)

Yea, that's one way to go about it. I guess it will depend on her dynamic with Finn. From what I can gather she will adore him, he will try to act according to whatever rose-tinted image she has of him, they'll have a short breakdown when she realized he wasn't the hero she thought he was at all, and than they'll reconcile.

1 minute ago, MikeH said:

Go easy on him. He’s never seen a Star War and routinely confuses R2 with 3PO 😉

Yes, we must be patient with the elderly when they are forgetful.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Yea, that's one way to go about it. I guess it will depend on her dynamic with Finn. From what I can gather she will adore him, he will try to act according to whatever rose-tinted image she has of him, they'll have a short breakdown when she realized he wasn't the hero she thought he was at all, and than they'll reconcile.

Segueing nicely into what will ultimately be deemed by Williams as the saga's first love theme. 

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

"For Episode VIII, I decided to finally write a theme for R3PO and C2D2, the two droids that have been introduced in the previous film. It is very bouncy, to mimick the sounds R3PO does, that goes like this "blipety blop blip blop"".

It's the first time the saga's had a love theme.

20 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

So.

when are we expecting to hear that Giacchino has replaced Williams?

When Williams is unable to score Episode 9...

26 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

John Williams is going to live forever, anyway.

Yes, because if today's taught us anything, it's that the media will report him dead, but he'll still be alive, then he'll be dead, then not, then finally he'll expire. 

I reckon 10 years from now we'll be stressing about John not scoring Episode X.

Let's be positive. He looks as energetic, healthy and lively as he's looked in years. And I've a sneaky feeling that TLJ, without the burden of endless rewrites and an interrupted writing schedule after recovering from a pacemaker procedure, will be as densely orchestrated as The BFG mixed with the brassy, extroverted enthusiasm of his prequel scores (minus the bombastic choir).

:)

13 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Williams will never accept a romance between Rey and anybody else, except himself! He'll just refuse to compose a love theme for them.

I'm sorry Rian and Mickey, I'm afraid I can't do that.

When they threaten him with hiring Giacchino, he'll grouchily start  shreding his compositions.

Based on Rian's existing work, I'm expecting far more opportunities for the music to shine, as opposed to JJ's style (shorter scenes, tighter editing, less space for long-lined melodies and cues).

Just watch Ozymandias if you have any doubts about Rian's style. There are extended portions of that episode where music and visuals are the only storytelling elements in effect, and multiple moments where sound effects carry the drama to great effect (Walt collapsing to the ground after that death is etched in my memory).