What to expect from Episode VIII's Score?

Unlucky Bastard

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a little thought, does anybody think it would be kind of cool if Williams used those short rhythmic motifs for Han's death in "Torn Apart" as some kind of emotional signal for Kylo in 8? I know that's probably unlikely, but I just think it'd be interesting for it to make a reprisal at some point. I can imagine him talking to Snoke or something about Han and that motif coming back.

6 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Just had a little thought, does anybody think it would be kind of cool if Williams used those short rhythmic motifs for Han's death in "Torn Apart" as some kind of emotional signal for Kylo in 8? I know that's probably unlikely, but I just think it'd be interesting for it to make a reprisal at some point. I can imagine him talking to Snoke or something about Han and that motif coming back.

That was a great tension (and I guess horror?) piece. It seems to work well with Kylo Ren's other motifs in a way that it almost sounds like another signifier for his character/actions.

We have: 

- The theme accompanying him first landing in the shuttle as his Darth Vader-like authoritarian and evil theme

- The theme of conflict and tragedy of Kylo Ren's life similar to 'Anakin's Dark Deeds'

We could have:

- The theme of Kylo Ren's sin/fall.

On Monday, January 04, 2016 at 7:35 AM, dfenton85 said:

Actually, he might even conduct it during that Philly concert in a few months.

I'm hoping for a few TFA performances during that concert!  Jedi Step would be cool.

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, RPurton said:

Maybe they'll release a 2 disc set upfront? I can dream...

Well, they didn't do it for TFA, so don't get your hopes up. 

You have to imagine that it's Williams himself that doesn't want a two disc release. I mean, Disney would probably love to release one, right? Warner Bros. did for FB, and Disney released a vinyl and cassette TFA OST! They'd probably love to do a CD deluxe edition! 

In an interview about TFA he did mention being constricted by disc space, but I wonder if that was just an excuse. 

2 hours ago, Will said:

Well, they didn't do it for TFA, so don't get your hopes up. 

You have to imagine that it's Williams himself that doesn't want a two disc release. I mean, Disney would probably love to release one, right? Warner Bros. did for FB, and Disney released a vinyl and cassette TFA OST! They'd probably love to do a CD deluxe edition! 

In an interview about TFA he did mention being constricted by disc space, but I wonder if that was just an excuse. 

"Disc Space?"

Really?

THE TOWERING INFERNO can be fit on ONE disc and be in shape, and THAT is a movie that was re-issued 10 years ago!

And WHY would someone like John Williams be concerned about "Disc Space" when the man has worked with pencil and paper since day one?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

John Williams is too modest for that! 

We should phone Mike Matessino and ask him to convince Williams that 2 discs is what the fans really want. They can do 1 disc release for casual SW fans.

I wish we could know what new themes there are. I think The Last Jedi will have a new relationship theme like how ESB had Han and Leia's Theme, AOTC had Across the Stars, ROTJ had Luke and Leia. But what relationship will be in the film to get theme treatment? And will there be some new bad guy motif or something more developed like the Imperial March? I'd love to hear a counterpart to The March of the Resistance. 

Despite my above comment, I don't see a First Order theme coming outside of possibly a motif like the Trade Federation motif. The prequels went 3 movies without a major bad guy theme, instead relying on a collection of motifs like the Trade Federation stuff, General Grevious' bit, some Sith music, quotes of the Emperor's theme, etc. TFA played out that same way with Kylo Ren's 2 motifs, Snoke's droning choir, and possibly some descending brass material that someone mentioned in another thread. There's a general collection of bad guy music and I could see that being the direction for the rest of this trilogy. I really do hope we get a relationship theme though. 

The Prequels really didn't have one overarching villain (Palpatine was in hiding most of the time) so there was no chance for a single villain theme to emerge as every episode had different villain in the spotlight. TFA was a bit like ANH in that it had a villain with a motif or motifs (Imperial motif and Death Star in ANH and Kylon Ren's two distinct motifs in TFA) so JW could well expand Kylo's material into a new more elaborate theme or create completely new one for him. I'd love to hear a long lined melody forged out of the established two ideas, which might perhaps take a most Imperial March like guise to double as an idea for the First Order. Hope springs eternal.

That would be great but JW has never revisited prior motifs in this way as far as I know. We've speculated on this forum about how JW will "evolve" Rey's Theme as well but I don't see that happening either, even given JW's enthusiasm to continue to write for the character. There just isn't a track record of JW doing that kind of thing. Typically JW sequel scores feature quotes of previous themes within the context of new themes that make up the core of the new score. I imagine TLJ will play out the same way. That's why I could see a Rey and Luke type theme mentioned above. Although maybe an argument can be made that Han and Leia's theme and Luke and Leia's Theme are both built on the bones of Leia's Theme and so are evolutions of that music. Maybe I have no clue what I'm talking about!

53 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

I really do hope we get a relationship theme though. 

I'd guess it'll be a relationship theme for Luke and Rey or just an entirely new theme for Rey. Williams was already pondering "what to write next" for her back in August -- that comment stuck out to me, as if he wasn't content merely rehashing the existing theme for VIII like he has for other characters (albeit brilliantly and with great diversity).

23 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Why would Disney love that?

Surely you realise how Star Wars merchandise works? There are fans who literally buy everything. Two different soundtracks means two revenue streams, especially if each one contains music not included on the other (see The Hobbit releases). There would be fans who actually bought the TFA OST on CD, casette and vinyl, for real.

It's the whole concept of double dipping on the same product, which studios embrace at every opportunity. Already got the Bluray? Get it again, in 3D! Already got it in 3D? Get it again with new special features and deleted scenes! Already got the special edition? Get the 4K HDR deluxe edition!

Lucas made billions doing this, Disney will be no different. Even better for them, this music already exists, they own it, and it's collecting dust on a hard drive until they slap it on a CD with new artwork.

Don't forget this marketing beauty:

Star_wars_4_coversA.jpg

Can you imagine how many suckers bought all 4 versions?

Would've been nice if they at least put a different bonus cue on each version. Jerks!

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

I'd love to hear Kylo Ren's theme expanded into something militaristic and more fully developed in the sequels. 

This is what I'd love for the Resistance March, I want to hear that badass alternate with full snares and cymbal crash accompaniment. 

By the way you all are forgetting several First Order motifs from TFA -- Snoke's theme (one well known variation being choral) and two general First Order themes. 

@BloodBoal and @crumbs, I can't even remember exactly what I was suggesting, but you both made good points in your posts.

I do remember FB (regular with no exclusive content and deluxe).

Even if Disney didn't do that, which might not be good enough to get people to double dip, you'd think they'd release an isolated score or something (yes, I doubt it would be perfect) within a few months (or at just a version with a little more music). 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

I doubt I would be able to recognize them unless they were pointed out.

Those themes I mentioned?

I can give time stamps when I get home. They are rather obscure, particularly because the biggest appearance of two was dialed out.

@Stefancos

Some examples (not quite all, although these themes aren't too prominent):

What I call "Snoke's theme" (thanks to Marcus for the discovery!):

The four notes heard over the ostinato here:

And here:

What I call "The First Order A theme" (sort of my discovery, I believe):

Also watch this (theme first heard at 0:24):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jiql72jh7bppy3g/TFA - Parade Grounds (Score Restore).mp4?dl=0

And there's this:

The theme is four notes.

What I currently call the "First Order B theme" -- but could actually be for the Resistance, I suppose:

The melody heard at :02 --

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9cEg3TElmWGdUdW8/view (this awesome cue is from the opening village attack; seems a little too heroic to be a First Order theme, though? Perhaps actually underscored Poe running and fighting?)

And at :35 in the Dropbox score restore -- interestingly, while the scene is about the First Order, this is right after the Resistance is mentioned in the speech.

Most supporting a Resistance association is the usage here:

In the film, I just checked and that covers the scene where Han and Chewie enter the base and Finn and Rey open the doors from the control room. First Order personnel aren't even on camera when that theme is playing.

But it's bizarre because the Resistance already has a major theme! Maybe it's a variation of that? 

Hmmm.

• 4 weeks later...

So... who thinks JW will top Rey's Theme in TLJ? I wouldn't be surprised if he created an entirely new theme for her escapades with Luke. He never seems particularly interested in reusing existing themes when he has a chance to write new ones, unless specifically asked to.

Considering he was pondering "what to write next" as far back as August, that seems to indicate he was intending to write an entirely new theme rather than just find new ways to present his old ones.

Its an interesting situation. I too do not think JW will write an evolution of Rey's Theme or iterate on it significantly. He just doesn't have a history of revisiting themes like that. Personally, I am predicting the new major theme for TLJ will be a relationship theme like Han and Leia's theme or Luke and Leia. Rey's theme will be featured where appropriate in the score but I think it will also take a back seat to new material. 

I don't know if he can top Rey's theme though. The piece is so precise with all of its different components, it says so much about her character and its concert arrangement is both nearly exhaustive and very brisk.