What to expect from Episode VIII's Score?

Unlucky Bastard

I guess it does depend whether the variation is new. I wouldn't want half the end credits wasted on an exact reprise of the ANH concert arrangement, which would probably be most likely. 

Of course. I'd love that too! Or, possibly even better, a new, massively re-arranged statement in the film. 

Oh wow, a new end credits medley as fresh as Episode 7's, this time ending with a brand new variation of Leia's Theme, like how 7 ended with a brand new variation of Luke's theme, could be sublime.  Then he could end Episode 9 with Anakin's theme (their father) or Rey's theme (their protege)

I almost said that at first, but don't know how relevant he'll be by the time Episode 9 rolls around since he's already dead now

I agree with the previous posters, there should be a statement of Leia's theme somewhere in the end credits, either in the very beginning after the fanfare, or at the very end, much like the soft "Main Title" cue at the end of TFA. I am about 99.9% positive that Leia will die in this film, so it will be a fitting tribute to her character's legacy.

Who else thinks that somewhere in the beginning of the TLJ end credits, the text "In Memory of Carrie Fisher" will be included?

I could see them putting it as the last "static" credit before the scroll, in which case I imagine Williams would use the classic ANH arrangement of "Leia's Theme" and sync it so it reaches a nice little resolution before the scroll starts and then probably go into the new themes from there.

Either that or I could see them saving the memoriam text for the very end, in which case I imagine he'd build in some sort of "Leia's Theme" coda a la TFA.

• 3 weeks later...

On the topic of this thread I have seen a single Rian Johnson film (Brothers Bloom) so I don't know how he usually handles music, which makes it difficult to tell how well he might serve Johnny's music in his film and how much he sees music as an asset and part of the whole of a Star Wars film. I would like to see him challenge Johnny a bit but I think there is so much reverence going in working with the Maestro it might not come to pass.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

None of us has any idea what Williams considers challenging unless he tells us.

Well I meant hopefully Johnson makes Johnny push his boundaries a bit even if the SW musical legacy, style and sound loom large in the background.

I just don't think it's Williams who keeps the choices safe, it's the producers.  So I'd say it the other way around.  I hope Williams will challenge Johnson to push the boundaries of what Star Wars music can be!

But obviously none of us has any idea what that interplay is.  Anyway, "safe" Star Wars music from Williams is still damn exciting :) 

TFA's score sounds more like prequel music rather than OT material. Both trilogies have great music, so I'm not complaining. :)

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Agreed.  There was nothing like the "Chase Through Coruscant" in TFA.

Well I'm not sure if there's anything like "Chase Through Coruscant" in the rest of the PT either.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Or The Street Singer.

What about Jabba Flow and Dobra Doompa? I know they weren't JW, but still.

Makes me wonder if there'll be any source music in TLJ, and, if so, will JW score it himself.

6 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Makes me wonder if there'll be any source music in TLJ, and, if so, will JW score it himself.

Probably not. The source music for TFA wasn't written by him. Neither was the source music in AotC. I think TPM was the last time Williams wrote source music for Star Wars himself.

He wrote the source music in Attack of the Clones.

The Ultimate Edition for The Phantom Menace credits John Williams for all music included, so I'm assuming he wrote the source music on that one himself.

Alas Joseph's film credits file at the Gorfaine-Schwartz site isn't working so we could check.

10 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I'm predicting that Nathan Johnson will do some sort of source music for the movie.

I wouldn't be surprised at all!

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Didn't his son wrote the TPM source music?

The sheet music leaked and proved that JW wrote the source music himself (its a sketch in his handwriting)

5 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

He wrote the source music in Attack of the Clones.

The Ultimate Edition for The Phantom Menace credits John Williams for all music included, so I'm assuming he wrote the source music on that one himself.

Those credits were probably just a quick copy and paste from the text they still had handy from the OST though. 

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

The sheet music leaked and proved that JW wrote the source music himself (its a sketch in his handwriting)

Wasn't he (Joseph) credited for the source cues somewhere (apart from the Wiki page I just linked to), though? I'm not saying it's true, just that I remember reading that somewhere else... Maybe it was actually here, at JWFAN. A member spreading lies... Stiff?