The Force Awakens nominated for Best Original Music at BAFTA

TownerFan

http://awards.bafta.org/award/2016/film?

Here's the nominees:

The Hateful Eight - Ennio Morricone

Bridge of Spies - Thomas Newman

The Revenant - Ryuichi Sakamoto, Carsten Nicolai

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - John Williams

Sicario - Jóhann Jóhannsson

10 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

Nah.  BoS is a much better score.  I do like Inside Out though, and wouldn't have minded had it gotten a nomination.  

Just could not get into that score. Really didn't think there was anything exceptional about it at all.

Serviceable, yes, but nothing elevating. Newman has done far better.

Nothing odd about the Oscars/Baftas nominating the scores for critical darlings - they've been doing it for the last 20 years.

I don't see the actual music coming into it at all.

But yes, Newman's Skyfall win felt like self congratulation for the UK film industry - again, I don't think it had anything to do with the quality of the music.

I'll admit it's a bit cringeworthy.

I haven't watched the Oscars for years; the last one I sat through was montage after montage of, "wow, films used to be great... back in the 1950's!"

Let's just ignore the current Hollywood, proliferated by an endless sausage factory stream of sequels, reboots, remakes, re-imaginings, comic book adaptations, book adaptations, prequels........ and all dictated by focus group feedback and market research.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14.1.2016 at 9:07 AM, publicist said:

If not for Ennio i'd think Williams would be a shoe-in for a sentimental award this year. 

Ennio can write anything, get wide praise and lose horribly.

• 3 weeks later...

It was expected, but in a pure musical criteria, there's no way The Hateful Eight score would even stand a chance with The Force Awakens.

Congratulations to Morricone, anyways!

10 minutes ago, Michael said:

I read on a recent article he was planning on going.

Yeah MikeH posted it in the Hateful Eight thread: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/ennio-morricone-exclusive-interview-with-the-worlds-greatest-film-composer-a6869631.html

Tarantino accepted Morricone’s Golden Globe on his behalf recently, saying Morricone was his favourite composer bar none – and that would include Bach and Mahler. But Maestro plans to be in LA himself for Oscars night

37 minutes ago, Scarpia said:

It was expected, but in a pure musical criteria, there's no way The Hateful Eight score would even stand a chance with The Force Awakens.

What do you mean?

The broadcast is just finishing, and it astounds me that the music award got lumped in with the usual 'presented earlier' section. Even 'visual effects' got in the main ceremony.

Plus, it's not shown live, so we get tweets/reports of all the winners before they happen on TV. I'd like to meet the person who thought that was a good idea.

http://variety.com/2016/film/awards/italy-cheers-ennio-morricones-golden-globe-victory-for-the-hateful-eight-1201676789/

"While Morricone did not attend the Golden Globes, he is expected to make the trek to Los Angeles to be feted by the 11th Los Angeles-Italia Film Fashion and Art Festival, the annual pre-Oscars event comprising movies and music and celebrating showbiz ties between Italy and Hollywood, which will run Feb. 21-27 at the Hollywood and Highland Center. Plans are also underway for him to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on that occasion."

It seems I was mistaken.

Also, a star on the Walk of Fame?  No way he is gonna lose the Oscar with that level of patting on the back Hollywood is doing with him right now.

6 minutes ago, hornist said:

These awards are a joke. Ennio might have been good enough(not a fan, too simple for my brilliant brains) to win some award during the years. But definitely not this year, this is almost funny.

While I firmly believe that TFA is the better score, I'm glad that it's Ennio winning the award and not some trendy, gimmicky one-trick pony composer like Trent Reznor (though Gone Girl was pretty good).

It's nice to hear how much award shows really care about extremely important categories like Cinematography and Score. I'm glad I don't watch these award shows any more, when they jam the most important creative people in after the show in a 2 second clip. I adore Stephen Fry, but perhaps shorten some of his articulate rambling and the lengthy speeches of actors weeping down a few minutes and you can fit the awards in. But hey, who really cares about the way a film looks right? It's not like a glorified cameraman is important. And who needs some octogenarian to write some loud music that gets in the way of the actors' perfect faces?

43 minutes ago, hornist said:

These awards are a joke. Ennio might have been good enough(not a fan, too simple for my brilliant brains) to win some award during the years. But definitely not this year, this is almost funny.

Whoa, Morricone simple? Really?