The Force Awakens Sheet Music from Hal Leonard

Vclguy90

I wanted to share this:

While browsing JWPepper I came across this!

http://www.jwpepper.com/Star-Wars---The-Force-Awakens-%28Suite-for-Orchestra%29/10564985.item#.VnqHOcuIZFs

The prices seem to check out in relation to all the other SE Star Wars Suites and no arranger is mentioned. However, when I went to the Hal Leonard site I saw nothing about this anywhere. But could this me a suite to TFA is coming soon?

Also, JW has this listed as well.

http://www.jwpepper.com/Family-Portrait/5970966.item#.VnqJQ8uIZFs

I think it's safe to say a suite is coming soon. I'm sure it's already done since he's definitely going to perform it at his upcoming concerts. I think I'll send an email to Sheetmusicplus, where I get all my scores. 

1 hour ago, Vclguy90 said:

I wanted to share this:

While browsing JWPepper I came across this!

http://www.jwpepper.com/Star-Wars---The-Force-Awakens-%28Suite-for-Orchestra%29/10564985.item#.VnqHOcuIZFs

The prices seem to check out in relation to all the other SE Star Wars Suites and no arranger is mentioned. However, when I went to the Hal Leonard site I saw nothing about this anywhere. But could this me a suite to TFA is coming soon?

Also, JW has this listed as well.

http://www.jwpepper.com/Family-Portrait/5970966.item#.VnqJQ8uIZFs

Hey - the Force Awakens suite does exist.  I saw it in person in Chicago last week.  I spoke to one of the Hal Leonard reps by their Star Wars display about it and was told that it is still in editorial, but it is on the fast track to be released.  They are aiming for March 2016.

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Joe Brausam said:

Hey - the Force Awakens suite does exist.  I saw it in person in Chicago last week.  I spoke to one of the Hal Leonard reps by their Star Wars display about it and was told that it is still in editorial, but it is on the fast track to be released.  They are aiming for March 2016.

Wow, do you have any info about the cues which will be included? I really hope that "The Starkiller" and "Torn apart" will be in it, in addition to the pieces which are clearly meant for concert performance, such as Rey's Theme, Scherzo for X-Wings, March of the Resistance, and maybe a cue related to Kylo Ren.

Honestly I think it is just Rey's Theme, Scherzo, March of the Resistance, and possibly "Kylo Ren's Theme" - at least they were advertising his theme in relation to one of their publications.

Wonderful news! Really hope to see Rey's Theme in there. I must admit, I would quite like to see The Jedi Steps and Finale released, but since it shares so much material with the other concert suites I guess it would be impractical. 

P.S. John Williams' signature is very similar to mine!

Very cool! Thanks for this info. I'll be picking this one up as soon as it's out. 

I'm still really hoping to see JW perform it in Boston in May with the Pops. Their May calendar is still empty....

Hal Leonard Corporation has posted the movements in the Force Awakens Suite:

March of the Resistance

Rey's Theme

Scherzo for X-Wings

The Jedi Steps and Finale

It appears there are two performance options for The Jedi Steps, I'm speculating akin to the two different performance options for With Malice Toward None from Lincoln.

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=4491705&lid=149&keywords=John%20williams%20signature&subsiteid=1&

I'm glad to see the Finale in there. So we get a 1:30 version or a 3:00 version of The Jedi Steps. Interesting since The Jedi Steps on the album runs for about 2:12 minutes, so I'm eager to see what material the two version include.

The Jedi steps and finale on the OST runs 8:51. The V mvt of the Hal Leonard suite seems to suggest a run time of about 9 mins. Should we be lucky enough to have this complete track as presented on the OST in full score? That would be great. Either way, if JW does Film night in Boston, he'll more than likely play some parts of this suite, if not the whole thing. Then we would have a decent recording, like the new arrangement of Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra that was premiered last May. 

I find a little confusing that two separate movements are titled The Jedi Steps, and according to the runtime, the second one seems like a shorter version of the first. I guess we'll have to wait until it comes out.

Does anyone know if the full score without parts will be available on release date as well? 

I'm very anxious to read and study this music.

6 hours ago, Scarpia said:

I find a little confusing that two separate movements are titled The Jedi Steps, and according to the runtime, the second one seems like a shorter version of the first. I guess we'll have to wait until it comes out.

I guess the longer version of Jedi Steps could be a more developed setting of the theme, while the shorter one is exactly as the cue as heard in the film. It's interesting that the Finale also have two different coda options--I guess one is gonna be as heard on the OST with Luke's theme on celesta and piano and another one probably more traditionally bombastic for all those who cannot avoid finishing the suite with a big splash of trumpets and cymbals :)

Then it is possible that you can jump from the fourth movement directly to the end credits music, without repeating the shorter version of The Jedi Steps. That'd be great!

There's a Piano Solo Songbook being released (and available for pre-order), additionally, including the following cues:

• Farewell And The Trip (from STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS)
  • Finn's Confession (from STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS)
  • The Jedi Steps And Finale (from STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS)
  • Main Title And The Attack On The Jakku Village (from STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS)
  • March Of The Resistance (from STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS)
  • Rey Meets BB-8 (from STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS)
  • Rey's Theme (from STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS)
  • The Scavenger (from STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS)
  • Scherzo For X-Wings (from STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS)
  • The Starkiller (from STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS)
  • That Girl With The Staff (from STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS)
  • Torn Apart (from STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS)

Previews are available here and it seems Interactive + Print Editions of the piano arrangements can already be ordered directly there. Easy versions are available as well. Could anyone confirm this?

Measure 9 from the piano arrangement of March of the Resistance differs from the OST version, by the way - the A is definitely sharp in the OST track, whereas it's natural here. Not sure if that's an error or a deliberate amendment.

No piano arrangement of The Falcon, by the way? :( I'll have to arrange it myself.

21 hours ago, Alexander said:

Previews are available here and it seems Interactive + Print Editions of the piano arrangements can already be ordered directly there. Easy versions are available as well. Could anyone confirm this?

Confirmed.

Measure 9 from the piano arrangement of March of the Resistance differs from the OST version, by the way - the A is definitely sharp in the OST track, whereas it's natural here. Not sure if that's an error or a deliberate amendment.

I'm only seeing the A# in the easy piano version, but not the normal version. Odd since the easy piano version correctly has the D# shortly after. It's either a typo or the arranger deduced that amateurs can't handle an A#...

There's also a bit missing in the left hand of measure 12, 2nd beat (normal version). I'm also wondering whether the E in the left hand of the next measure should be an Eb (to agree with the right hand). I'm saying this because I myself have made an arrangement of this piece (which I'm trying to record but am still in the process of learning!) and, trying to keep it as close to the original as possible, I put an Eb, but I can't be sure. I'm just skeptical since these piano books of Williams' material are usually excellent but tend to get watered down in favor of more "common" and easier pianistic passages which people are used to. And A-G-F#-E-D is definitely easier to play than A-G-F#-Eb-D, in the left hand.

No piano arrangement of The Falcon, by the way? :( I'll have to arrange it myself.

Good luck, and don't forget to make an easy piano version as well! ;)

Btw, how the hell is anyone supposed to play that Scherzo arrangement at proper tempo?!

7 hours ago, loert423 said:

Btw, how the hell is anyone supposed to play that Scherzo arrangement at proper tempo?!

I was wondering the same thing. It is written to be played slowly.

Anyways, you can always do a tremolo in the eight notes, playing F and A in the first eight and then the D (taking the first measure for example). Changing this you can play a tempo, or even faster than the OST recording.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Digital piano transcriptions of Force Awakens music now available:

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/colFPE.asp?ppn=CL0007597

and hard copy:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/star-wars-episode-vii-the-force-awakens-sheet-music/20174275

Seems like many selections made available, as opposed to the slim offerings made in the past, especially with the prequel scores.

Cheers,

Peter

I'm really pleased with the broader selection of music. There are a lot of very specific cues, and judging by the digital versions, the transcriptions are very accurate. I'll have really good hours at the piano with this book!

Thanks for sharing this! I was transcribing my own sheets but this will make things a lot easier for my future piano ventures. For a second I thought this thread was about the sessions sheets. Hah..hah...

9 hours ago, That_Bloke said:

Hi everyone,

Digital piano transcriptions of Force Awakens music now available:

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/colFPE.asp?ppn=CL0007597

and hard copy:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/star-wars-episode-vii-the-force-awakens-sheet-music/20174275

Seems like many selections made available, as opposed to the slim offerings made in the past, especially with the prequel scores.

Cheers,

Peter

Uh, is this only for "Digital Pianos" or will the transcriptions work on "Regular Pianos" as well?

17 hours ago, Zaralyth said:

Thanks for sharing this! I was transcribing my own sheets but this will make things a lot easier for my future piano ventures. For a second I thought this thread was about the sessions sheets. Hah..hah...

If only!!!  *sigh* :)

14 hours ago, skyy38 said:

Uh, is this only for "Digital Pianos" or will the transcriptions work on "Regular Pianos" as well?

Heh heh. Oops! Sorry. Thanks for pointing that out. Slap me silly and call me Jar Jar. :)  Any piano, plugged in or not ;)

Totally agree! The Star Wars titles arrangement for example is fantastic, it stays true to the original but doesn't fall into the trap of containing too many of those un-pianistic woodwind runs. This really is a great collection and I only wish I can find out who the arranger was.

2 hours ago, Sharky said:

We should be thankful that for the first time, the piano book of a Star Wars score isn't just the family-friendly concert suites, but contains really interesting stuff. Actual cues, with clusters! Shit, I'm getting emotional here.

no kidding. this looks great

Probably by John Williams in Boston this May/June, and/or Tanglewood this August.

But nobody knows anything for sure; Nothing's been announced.

8 hours ago, Romão said:

Have you guys seen this yet?

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=4491706&lid=10&keywords=the+force+awakens&subsiteid=1

Williams wrote  Jedi Steps concert suite

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! :) 

I suspect that the bit near the end of the credits with Rey's theme superimposed on the force theme was intended to be part of that jedi steps sequence, but ultimately didn't fit so they took it out and gave it its own spot in the credits.

It would fit really well in a concert version of jedi steps. here's hoping.

5 hours ago, Oboejdub said:

I suspect that the bit near the end of the credits with Rey's theme superimposed on the force theme was intended to be part of that jedi steps sequence, but ultimately didn't fit so they took it out and gave it its own spot in the credits.

It would fit really well in a concert version of jedi steps. here's hoping.

JW told Tim Grieving otherwise, interestingly:

Rey’s theme shares a chordal relationship with the Force theme, and Williams counterpoints the two during the end credits.

“The idea of bringing them together at the end came together at the end. I don’t think I ever played them actually simultaneously until then.”

I cannot wait to have this! I love the crystal clear and at the same time highly coloristic orchestration.

The Jedi Steps begining, movement 4 is identical to 5. I wonder why John Williams felt the need to repeat the piece, even if number 4 has musical development beyond what's heard in the film. We could have had an extended version of it including the end credits, very much like the concert version of The Throne Room and Finale.

Thanks, loert423!

7 hours ago, Scarpia said:

The Jedi Steps begining, movement 4 is identical to 5. I wonder why John Williams felt the need to repeat the piece, even if number 4 has musical development beyond what's heard in the film. We could have had an extended version of it including the end credits, very much like the concert version of The Throne Room and Finale.

Thanks, loert423!

I thought the contents said one of them is a concert suite version and the other is part of the film end sequence.

3 hours ago, karelm said:

I thought the contents said one of them is a concert suite version and the other is part of the film end sequence.

Precisely. At the moment, they seem to start exactly the same, which leaves me wondering why wouldn't they include the expanded content along with the end credits music, much like the expanded concert suite of The Throne Room. I guess I won't know until I see the level of difference between the two. I still think the two movements could have been placed apart from each other, like number 2 and 5, to avoid starting a piece starting exactly the same and probably sharing much material with the precedent one.

56 minutes ago, Scarpia said:

Precisely. At the moment, they seem to start exactly the same, which leaves me wondering why wouldn't they include the expanded content along with the end credits music, much like the expanded concert suite of The Throne Room. I guess I won't know until I see the level of difference between the two. I still think the two movements could have been placed apart from each other, like number 2 and 5, to avoid starting a piece starting exactly the same and probably sharing much material with the precedent one.

I guess JW prepared the two Jedi Steps movements as options for performance, so it's an "either or" situation. In the Hal Leonard piano reduction of Jedi Steps, the piece is basically the end credits final minutes, starting with the Force/Rey themes in counterpoint, the Rebel fanfare reprise and the main theme fading down. Perhaps the 3 min. version of Jedi Steps in the concert suite is the first minute and a half of the piece as heard in the film followed by the end credits coda as in the piano reduction.