The Force Awakens Sheet Music from Hal Leonard

Vclguy90

That would make more sense. If this is the case, then we would be talking about Movements 4a and 4b, then. Cannot wait to have the score!

I usually order from Sheet Music Plus, though I have to wait more than a month for the packages to arrive. Any other recomendation?

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, aviazn said:

sadly it's just the same old Throne Room finale.

Actually, I think I hear an extra counterpoint of Luke's Theme in there..

9 minutes ago, Faleel said:

Actually, I think I hear an extra counterpoint of Luke's Theme in there..

Oh yes, you're right! Still, I'm a bit disappointed the fanfare is basically the same. I suppose JW will play the concert ending in Boston and whenever he does it live (or else why would he have written it), but I'd rather hear the film ending. I know pops audiences want the big finish, but that haunting statement of Luke's theme is so perfect I think it'd be equally effective in the concert hall.

Yes, it's Return of the Jedi finale, but arranged differently, including Luke's Theme counterpoint, and in a different key (B flat instead of G).

To be honest, it's rather bland, badly prepared and doesn't work even close as well as the original ending, in my opinion.

So good to have this available! Thanks aviazn. 

Utilizing the distinctive “Jedi Steps” theme featured at the end of the film, combined with the rousing “Finale” from the end credits, Jay Bocook authentically recreates the beauty and power of this amazing film score. Courtesy of Mr. Williams himself, an alternate “concert ending” is provided in addition to the quiet ending as heard at the end of the film.

2 minutes ago, Scarpia said:

Oh, it never passed through my mind this finale was a Williams arrangement.

Now that you mention it, it probably is. :mellow:

"Courtesy of Mr. Williams himself, an alternate “concert ending” is provided in addition to the quiet ending as heard at the end of the film."

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=4004653&lid=0&promotion=1014&subsiteid=6&

Presumably the same "concert ending" as this:

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=4490056

Although, since the band arrangement is intended for high school orchestras, it's possible that it's a cut down version of what Williams wrote.

I hope so!

Well, each to his own. Judging just from the Band arrangement, I prefer the superior original finale. Let's see what the complete orchestral score will bring!

Does anyone know of an existing recording of The Battle from the Official Star Wars Symphonic Suite published by Fox Fanfare Music? Or at least, what track and soundtrack is it from? I can't find it anywhere!!! This is the first page of the movement if it looks familiar 

Screenshot_2016-02-05-01-20-37.png

2 hours ago, Vclguy90 said:

Also, does anyone know of an existing recording of The Battle from the Official Star Wars Symphonic Suite published by Fox Fanfare Music? Or at least, what track and soundtrack is it from? I can't find it anywhere!!! This is the first page of the movement if it looks familiar 

Screenshot_2016-02-05-01-20-37.png

The original Star Wars symphonic suite was recorded in 1977 by Charles Gerhardt with the NPO and by Zubin Mehta with the LA Phil. I found only the Mehta recording on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_R4FZgGrM

I just ordered TFA from Luck's Music. I don't normally order from them unless I want an individual SE part. But if you pre-order you get a 15% discount and free shipping. 

On 08/02/2016 at 7:36 PM, Vclguy90 said:

I just ordered TFA from Luck's Music. I don't normally order from them unless I want an individual SE part. But if you pre-order you get a 15% discount and free shipping. 

Interesting. How did you get the discount?

Just call them up and place your ordere before it arrives to their warehouse.

Without notice of the discount, I called them to see when they should be getting it in and they informed me towards the end of February. They went on to say that if I pre-order it now, it will be discounted 15% and it indeed was. 

However, I ended up canceling my order because they charged me for the discounted score which did not include shipping because they "could not determine the cost of shipping without the product physically being there" - wtf? So knowing Lucks and the cost of their shipping, (as well as the time it takes for a package to get from Wisconsin to Northern California) I chose to go with sheetmusicplus since I can pay for 1 to 2 week budget shipping and receive it in a matter of 2 or 3 days since I live close to their warehouse. I am, however, going to purchase the cello part from Luck's once it is available as I think they are the only sheet music retailer that sells individual SE parts.

Peeps...Does anyone have an inkling as to how different this score would be to the one used in the film. I ask because it says grade 5 skill set. Is that an average for an orchestra ? I know these are "arrangements" and not cues but has there been any radicle simplification of the parts. Is this common in the signature editions or are they pretty close ( albeit  double winds instead of triple  ) ?

Thanks

T

The Suite for Orchestra is marked level 6, and the sample pages show accuracy with the recordings. I'm pretty confident is the closer to the original we will get.

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=4491706&lid=21&keywords=force%20awakens&searchcategory=00&subsiteid=6&

The individual concert band arrangements are intended for professionals, so I don't really know what that level 5 means, but I wouldn't worry too much. I think it should work and sound just like the orchestral suite, but in a concert band setting, without major musical differences.

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=4004660&lid=25&keywords=force%20awakens&searchcategory=00&subsiteid=6&

Soon we'll have the material!

From what I remember in my concert band days, Level 6 is the most difficult grade in categorizing music. Professional ensembles usually play a mix between level 6 and level 5 in concerts. So I'm sure these arrangements will be fairly close to the original.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any timescale as to when this is going to be sent out to people who've ordered it? I emailed Sheet Music Plus and they seem to have no clue, they just say it's on back order and they can't confirm or guarantee a date.

On March 5, 2016 at 7:34 PM, The Psycho Pianist said:

Is there any timescale as to when this is going to be sent out to people who've ordered it? I emailed Sheet Music Plus and they seem to have no clue, they just say it's on back order and they can't confirm or guarantee a date.

I just got notification today that mine shipped, so there is hope for you!

I realize this sounds crazy (because it is), but once you have the full score, check out MotR and see if it is extended at all.  The website list a time of 2:40, but the OST track is only 2:30 (and the runtimes of Rey and the Scherzo match the OST). 

On 3/5/2016 at 3:34 AM, The Psycho Pianist said:

I still haven't heard anything from Sheet Music Plus about my FA score. 

7 hours ago, aj_vader said:

I still haven't heard anything from Sheet Music Plus about my FA score. 

They are extremely unhelpful via email. I've contacted them twice now, once before @KingPin mentioned his was dispatched and once since then. Both times I've got handoff, template answers that didn't provide any information I couldn't have worked out myself. Fairly unimpressed as I've also had the Lincoln score on order from them for a while now, again with no dispatch and no communication as to when it is to be sent :mellow:

15 hours ago, The Psycho Pianist said:

They are extremely unhelpful via email. I've contacted them twice now, once before @KingPin mentioned his was dispatched and once since then. Both times I've got handoff, template answers that didn't provide any information I couldn't have worked out myself. Fairly unimpressed as I've also had the Lincoln score on order from them for a while now, again with no dispatch and no communication as to when it is to be sent :mellow:

That's terrible! how long have you been waiting for Lincoln? 

I actually had an email this morning saying TFA has been dispatched, probably going to take a long time coming from the US to the UK. 

Thanks for all of the info.  I was just listening to "I can fly anything" and lamented that the full statement was not in the end credits.  So, it is wonderful news that it is now there. 

20 hours ago, karelm said:

Interesting that the original Star Wars suite from Hal Leonards had trumpets in B-flat and here they are trumpets in C.

This is the first Williams full orchestral score i've seen with Trumpets in C, they are always Bb. 

1 hour ago, aj_vader said:

This is the first Williams full orchestral score i've seen with Trumpets in C, they are always Bb. 

He uses Trumpets in C also in "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra", "Summon the Heroes", "Call of the Champions" and "Olympic Fanfare and Theme". 

Session musicians can choose whatever trumpet suits whatever passage best, anyway. I've never seen Williams indicate use of trumpets in a specific key on his sketch scores.

46 minutes ago, karelm said:

Here is why I thought it was interesting.  In London, the B flat trumpet is more common in symphonic settings but in the US, the C trumpet is more common. This being the first Star Wars performed in US, I wonder if that is why it was arranged for C unlike the previous Star Wars movies which were all B flat.  It also might indicate this is a gradual switch to C being the preference of the modern orchestral sound.  Yes, most players will decide on the instrument of choice, but there has been a gradual weaning off of B flat in the US.  Incidentally, Holst Planets and Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra were both using C trumpets.  It is a very minor point but just a little surprising. In the past, if you just thought "trumpet" generically, you were thinking of the B flat trumpet.  But it seems to be nowadays the generic trumpet is a C.  The C is considered slightly brighter than the B flat.  Morris Murphy used a B flat in LSO Star Wars.

That could be a very good and interesting point, and what you say might well be the reason. The fact that also "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra", which is one of the very last Signature Editions published, uses C Trumpets, might be indeed the signal of a trend.